UFO: Aftershock English demo available !!

Thorondor

I have been looking forward to this game for ages.

Some things that look GREAT from the demo,

The ability to define different squads and then select which one to take. AND those squads can have the same trooers in. So you can set up the VS. Mutants weapons the VS reticuland weapons, the VS.. And you don't have to keep changing them.

When a missile blew up and my guys flew across the floor, that was great.

The resource element looks like you have to balance all your expenditure on the infrastructure to even get the resources in the first place.

Diplomacy

Things which will suck:

The bloody voices. They will so be turned off after 5 minutes.

I still have the feeling that after a few missions because you can only have 7 men max, and training is so detailed taking casualties is going to be non acceptable. I used to like the old X-coms Darwinian approach to squad selection.

"the kid has some moves, give him a squad, see what he can do"

Anyway I look forward to getting my copy.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have the feeling that after a few missions because you can only have 7 men max, and training is so detailed taking casualties is going to be non acceptable. I used to like the old X-coms Darwinian approach to squad selection.

"the kid has some moves, give him a squad, see what he can do"

Anyway I look forward to getting my copy.

I agree with you there, I think the training system and the 7 men limit is still a huge mistake (I know many will disagree), I think the old X-Com system would have been much much better.

The problem I find with the X-COM system is that it's NOT Darwinian by any stretch of the imagination.

My experience with Superhuman shows that once you get a fair way through the game, your elite commander is just as likely to die as a noob rookie. It's all down to accuracy of the aliens and a fair bit of pot luck with how your Skyranger is loaded out.

Also, as soon as you get the aliens using psionics in X-COM, you'll find your own guys - even high-up members of your squad - turning on each other until you have enough research and the correct facilities to create your own psi-squad.

There is no natural selection. There is only death. I'm 16 months through the game and have been through around six commanders, my latest surviving by hiding on board the Avenger right at the back whilst everyone else checks out the scenery. He's ready to back them up at a moment's notice I'm sure... though he does tend to sit in the pilot's seat a lot and make sure the engine's still running for some reason... :P

Anyway... back to the demo...

A Reticulan was shooting some green blob at me. I was pleased to see that closing down the distance on this homing-shot meant that it couldn't turn a tight enough circle to hit. and blew the Reticulan to shreds with a couple of shotguns. Did make me wonder about the usefulness of the Reticulan weapon though - I could pause the game and dodge it nine times out of ten... I'm assuming they have some more deadly kit as well, but already I'm forming tactics :)

A Reticulan was shooting some green blob at me. I was pleased to see that closing down the distance on this homing-shot meant that it couldn't turn a tight enough circle to hit. and blew the Reticulan to shreds with a couple of shotguns. Did make me wonder about the usefulness of the Reticulan weapon though - I could pause the game and dodge it nine times out of ten... I'm assuming they have some more deadly kit as well, but already I'm forming tactics :)

I saw one do that, it fired it in a parabolic arc over something at my guys, that shocked me! Thought that was cool :P

Has anyone else had the game re-set their monitor to its lowest screen refresh rate (43 Hertz in my case) after you exit the game? :P

Or have muckstars make one final shot after they're dead? :)

Great demo, and the strategic part looks much more fleshed out. I 'm sure that Aftershock will do even better than Aftermath and allow ALTAR to do another great game in the UFO universe! :)

PS: You can also download the demo from Happypuppy.com.

The only thing I didn't like about the demo was my inability to control the camera. In the 1st mission, I had soldiers under the bridge and my view kept moving up whenever I tried to see what was in front of me.

It seems I cannot get a top-down view anymore...

I probably just haveta read the manual to find out how to control the view better.

@infael:

"I had soldiers under the bridge and my view kept moving up whenever I tried to see what was in front of me."

As Azrael mentions, clicking and dragging with the middle mouse button will adjust the camera's perspective. You can also use the Pg.Up and Pg.Down keys to change the view to a higher or lower level.

Additionally, you can also assign keys to Pitch and Turn the camera (for instance Ctrl+directional key) that will allow you to (albeit less smoothly than with the mouse) control the viewing angle.

::

Hope that helps :P

Question: Since the "cyborg" and "psionic" traits seem to be available for training, is it possible to train regular humans into cyborgs or psionics? And will it then be possible to train males into cyonics and women into cyborgs?

No, don't think so. Read about them here.

@Llama8: Hehe, now that's what I cal dedication :P

What if you ain't got no middle mouse button?  :)

Then you...

As Azrael mentions, clicking and dragging with the middle mouse button will adjust the camera's perspective. You can also use the Pg.Up and Pg.Down keys to change the view to a higher or lower level.

Additionally, you can also assign keys to Pitch and Turn the camera (for instance Ctrl+directional key) that will allow you to (albeit less smoothly than with the mouse) control the viewing angle.

::

Hope that helps :)

:P