UFO: Aftershock English demo available !!

Thorondor

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if this is more than just the one mission?

After I finish the 1st mission, I cant make the time go forward. The buttons dont do anything.

Other than that the game LOOKS amazing, and I am all that much more excited about this.

They do limit your exploration alot in the demo, but from what I have seen there is a ton of stuff avalable for you to play around with. I think I will be playing this game for years to come!

Well,actualy there are 2 tac missions :P One in brittish isles, the second one somewhere in the balcans :)

The time cennot be moved foward, but you can play to some degree with all other options, ofcourse, the research and manufacturing and other time dependant things won't take place:(

But non the less, i'm going to spend a lot of time with this game :)

Heh, was funny when going to the reticulan mission where the psionic girl "sensed" an alien presense an all the troopers started chasing a running ! symbol :P

Even tho we won't have interceptions, alien craft with their rooms are present and really nice to stare at.

I'm quite impressed with the demo and defenetly getting the game.

Somewhat sneakily, while you can't move time forward in the geosphere with the icons, you CAN with the appropriate shortcut keys (you might have to rebind them first though). Extra missions will pop up, but they crash on load as naturally the demo didn't include all the art resources, but it gives you a cheeky glimpse of what kind of mission objectives we might get. Research seems to progress too, but I didn't dig too deep.

Only. Six. Days. Left.

Just tested it, all I can say is congratulations to ALTAR, you've outdone yourselves :P this game from what the demo shows is a great advance from Aftermath and promises to be a great game! Also, despite the somewhat high system requirements, I was able to run the game flawlessly (do you think that's because it's a demo or the game will probably run this good?).

Also, the geosphere is just beautiful, and the battlescape looks like a work of art, excellent work guys :)

I clicked on the hi-res .exe file. I was not disappointed. Smooth graphics - far too high detail for my graphics card, but dare I say they're on a par with Silent Storm even?

I was confused for about five minuites, but then my X-COM training kicked in and I suddenly found where all the controls were.

I kinda like it, but I HATE how they haven't fixed THE most irritating control issue from UFO 1. When one of your troopers spot a hostile, time pauses and I click the mofo to shoot him. However, even if your other soldiers were en route to somewhere, they'll just stop and look stupid if they can't see the alien, meaning your spotter'll be in a firefight by himself unless you take the time to manually maneuver your clumsy troops into the LOS of the alien.

What's the story of this game anyway? Laputa? Cyborgs?

PS: The Flatster enemy is a real pain in the neck. Electroshock holocaust at close range! And the one alien enemy I encountered made my entire team his bitch with these annoying super-duper alien blasters that only work at close range.

Well, I think it's quite natural that every soldier has to see the alien to shoot at it. If you're behind a tree or whatever, you can't just shoot through the tree because one of your fellow soldiers see an alien.

As for the launcher, it is nasty, but if you're quick, or take him out with a sniper, it's no problem.

@Azrael: My guess is that the demo is optimised quite a bit. ALTAR SAID there would be quite a bit of loading sadly.

Well, I think it's quite natural that every soldier has to see the alien to shoot at it. If you're behind a tree or whatever, you can't just shoot through the tree because one of your fellow soldiers see an alien.

As for the launcher, it is nasty, but if you're quick, or take him out with a sniper, it's no problem.

@Azrael: My guess is that the demo is optimised quite a bit. ALTAR SAID there would be quite a bit of loading sadly.

I just wish there was some way to make your troopers proceed along the chosen path and then start firing away without having to micromanage them into firing position while your spotter is getting mauled by aliens. Ofttimes in UFO, I just wouldn't bother with all the micromanaging and just had those who could see the bad guy take him down with the rest just standing looking stupid behind a rock or whatever. The problem is, you can't move your guys just the 1/10 of an inch they need to be in the LOF, you have to take several steps. This makes me a sad panda!

The rest of the game looks pretty good though. Do you think it will be as easily moddable as UFO 1? I'd like tons o' guns and nuclear grenades and whatever modded into it.

@Gungadin: Yeah, I see your point. Well, good or bad, it was ALTAR's decision to make the S.A.S. system closer to turn-based by including no soldier AI. As for modding it, I believe it should be no more trouble than with Aftermath - it is built in pretty much the same way I believe.

@Kret: The LOS only works in paused mode I believe the tutorial said, and when I turn it on everything else is greyed out except for what my soldiers see.

Long time since made a post in here.

But, Aftershock feels much better than Aftermath.

My personal favourites: weapon modding and psi-visual (top bar: normal/psi). Psi-girl could spot all aliens before the others could see them. Three of four were shot without visual contact.

Flatsters were quite nasty surprise. Need quick fire with multiple weapons when they suddenly appear.

As for strategic means; base building, manufacturing, and research made me a 100% customer. And even more, training-tree is more versatile than before.

---

It seems that I have too many games to buy this autumn. Civ IV, Aftershock, etc.

Welcome back EppuTheHeppu! I agree with the stuff you list as positive. In addition, stances really matter this time. When I tested the full game I was shot to shit if I remained in a standing position (unless I met really week resistance).

And I know what you mean regarding games! I'm currently playing San Andreas and Winter Assault, and Aftershock will be here soonish...

Any of you guys encountered a ret with a rocket launcher in the demo? I have and they are as deadly as ever, with nice knockdown effects to whoever is unlucky enough to get caught in the blast.

Seems I can't get the LoS thing to work tho, probably something to do with the video card or system specs. Still getting the game, I'll worry about improving specs later

Any of you guys encountered a ret with a rocket launcher in the demo? I have and they are as deadly as ever, with nice knockdown effects to whoever is unlucky enough to get caught in the blast.

Seems I can't get the LoS thing to work tho, probably something to do with the video card or system specs. Still getting the game, I'll worry about improving specs later

Yeah, the ret launchers are effective! And with the knockdown effect it's a really bad idea to walk too close together :P

@Azrael: You'll probably run the game as well as the demo. Only difference is that it will probably use a little longer loading some missions than the ones in the demo.

In addition, stances really matter this time. When I tested the full game I was shot to shit if I remained in a standing position (unless I met really week resistance).

That's good (I think). Adds more realism to combat.

In demo, I couldn't get my soldiers to change stance while staying in the same place. Like you run to a spot, but you can't change stance when he/she stops.

Hopefully that won't cause any problems in the full game.