Please help me...i'll be your friend

Tiefling

acctually if you think about dos is the os that windows runs in so your computers do function in dos you just don't know how to work it right. it took me a bit to learn how to run dos with windows icons too. but i'm running a dos xcom throught windows. just install the game and find ufo.bat (for 1.4) if you have an earlier version then go dload 1.4. it worked for me.

In all honesty, it was a good choice on their part. They still have a command prompt option, but it only runs an MS-DOS proxy. Having two conflicting OS's (Windows and MS-DOS) worked best on Win98, but anything more advanced requires kernal stability with a single OS, and since it was the Windows franchise that was so successful, they canned MS-DOS.

Besides, who needs the MicroSoft Disk Operating System now-a-days? :tank:

I do! :dontgetit:

You wouldn't believe what you can do in dos that you can't in windows just because it locks up constantly. We have had several virus cases here and whilst the ones that were quickly discovered and nailed down, the serious ones were ALWAYS solved from MS-DOS because Windows would simply crash consistently. :hmmm:

There are also a heck of a lot of other useful components but what the hell I won't go into them. Suffice it to say that DOS can be VERY useful in times of emergency. :tank:

Another beautiful thing about DOS is that it fits on a small part of a single floppy disk. Want to run DOS on a machine with Windows XP? Make a DOS boot disk, put in the floppy disk drive*, restart the computer and you now have a computer which runs under pure DOS. Go for DOS 6.22 if you can.

* A floppy disk drive is the 3½ inch slot on you computer whose purpose you never figured out if you're born in the 80's or later.

The windows 95 and 98 bootdisks are just as good. Although, I must admit, dos 6.xx had many useful programs that never carried across when they renamed Dos to Windows 95 and wrapped a fancy GUI around it (admittingly, much better than Win 3.1, although some of it is still included in 95/98. If you have 95 or 98 try going to the run menu and then entering 'progman' and see for yourself).

Everyone using a Microsoft OS with a command prompt should at least learn how to browse and manipulate their hard drive through it. It may be primitive, but it can be a very powerful tool if used right.

- NKF

I'm not dissing DOS, I grew up on it, too. I just recognize the power behind a different kernal format, which is the later versions of Windows, being NT, 2000, and XP.

Also, about DOS, yes, I know how to use it. It's a great starter OS. You type a command, and it either works, or does. I use DOS whenever I need to do some low-level, or powerful commands that I know don't really work in windows. Like if a partition is corrupted, just format it in DOS off a boot floppy. It's not hard at all. I love DOS too.

Win95 isn't a GUI DOS, that's 3.1 95 had a separate kernal with inimate DOS usings, but it wasn't just DOS with a GUI. A command prompt is indeed powerful; ftp, ping, and del *.* are some of my favorite commands. :P

And, I was born in the 80's, thank you. :)

If this sounds insulting, just take pity on me, as I have had probably 15 or 16 hours of sleep in the last... 72ish hours. So I'm entitled to be grumpy. :tank:

Yeah, I realise Win95 and up is more than just what win3.1 was, it's just that you get suspicious when you start up the computer with a 95/98 bootdisk and see it proclaim 'Windows' when you type in VER... Gives you the impression that all that really happened to MSDOS was a namechange.

I just wish more people started off in the command prompt before jumping right into the point-and-click phase. I mean, you can't run until you've learnt to walk. Besides, some of the things you learn in the command prompt can be brought over to GUI side of it. Like the wildcards * and ?.

But then again, it's terribly easy for newcomers to really mess up in the command prompt (like if you suddenly learn how to use the format command), so I guess it's not too bad the way things are going. :tank:

- NKF

speaking of DOS. Do any of you remember qbasic? Oh, the joys I had programming that simple and reliable lanquage. Also I'd like to say my first computer was a homebuilt 33mhz computer that only had dos. And can ya'll guess what the first video game I ever bought was? Yup, Xcom ufo defense. I still have the original package, manual, and everything. My mother taught me DOS in order to play my game and not mess any files up on her computer. Ahh, those were the days!!!

• 2 weeks later...

/me politely reminds all those present on the rules about not posting links to sites where games are downloadable..... not condoning piracy & all that...

just preemptive like, as i don't think *link removed* has x-com for download...

[Edit by Zombie: removed link.]

Does anybody know of a UK site that sells UFO or that box set from chips n bits? its just that shipping is pretty high and i have a craving to play :tank: (I had enemy unknown on my amiga A600 :P )

thanks in advance

- Bum