#202 Spaceman42

Spaceman42

Chief Editor, X-COM Field Manual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:33 PM

I'm back from the dead!

Sorry, I kind of got addicted to The Sims 2 and such for a bit, forgot (temporarily!) about the Field Manual. It hasn't been updated since, sadly. I do need contributions, though.

#203 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:13 PM

Good stuff mate! Maybe I'll put up a news post on this soon to. Keep it up! :blush:

#204 Alitorious

Alitorious

A snowstorm in space... who'da thunk it?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:44 PM

I was about to give this its own thread, then realized it could go here instead. (Whoah, rhymes!)

I've noticed something kinda interesting about alien retaliation missions.

I've found that if you repeatedly shoot down the scouting craft before they can detect your base (or before they leave for orbit and tattle to their friends), they eventually come in with a battleship to scout. Of course, Plasma-beam Interceptors can't take these out, and I tend to leave them alone. These battleships, however, can't seem to detect a thing because they've flown directly over my base and not attacked, nor do any subsequent battleships attack (at least until the next 'operation.')
However, it seems smaller ships (such as the aptly named 'scout' series) have much better scanners. If you leave even one alone, the next ship they send always seems to be a battleship to attack your base.

(This is all with no mind shields built, by the way.)
Warning messages on a blaster launcher: "Warning, not responsible for loss of limbs, life, or familiy members through use of this device. Not to be taken orally. Some assembly required. Elerium not included. Do not operate without parental supervision. Do not use as a hairdryer. Not to be used as a toothpick. Blaster bombs sold seperately. Do not use while under the influence of alchohol or other drugs. Do not launch without setting waypoints. Not to be used as a flotation device. Do not dismantle Blaster Bombs. Hazard can be resulted from inproper use. Warning: Do not drop Blaster Bombs. Spontaneous detonation of Blaster Bombs can occur as a result of, but not limited to, the following: Impact, dissasembly, random bad luck, radiation, plasma fire, laser fire, and improper use or misuse. Blaster Bombs not to be used as a football. Not to be used on random animals including, but not limited to, gophers, pidgeons, hippopotami, stray dogs or cats, cockroaches, forum posters, forum admins, or lone unarmed sectoid soldiers."
----------
Come on over to the Fan Fiction section!

#205 Kratos

Kratos

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 06:08 PM

Did a manual come with X-com dos version? Mine didn't anyway :blush:

#206 JellyfishGreen

JellyfishGreen

Tentacle Pentacle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:24 PM

I am now dumping Field Manual chapters into the Wiki.

Edit: http://www.ufopaedia...le=Field_Manual

Edited by JellyfishGreen, 24 November 2005 - 09:12 AM.

The deadly Lobsterman threat was finally countered by melee combat with power tools. -ufopaedia.org

#207 whirlingdervish

whirlingdervish

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:21 PM

there's some really useful info in this thread. good job guys!

Since you're compiling all this info together, I figured you might get some use out of this X-Com Field Officer Equipment Manual that I put together out of various sources.

http://dervish.tasty...les/XCOM_EM.pdf

It has full color item/armor/hwp/craft pics ripped from the game, and a page of description/strategy and stats for each.

I've got the original laying on my HD in MSword .doc format, if anyone wants to add anything or take parts out for other stuff..

(:

rock on guys.

#208 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:29 PM

Lovely whirlingdervish! (: I've approved your upload, and it's available here. I added the file to our files section however, as I don't like linking off-site. Just post in this thread if you update it, and I'll update the download.

Is it supposed to say "Foreward"? I would think it should be "Foreword" (: Also, how about the stuff posted for the manual here?

#209 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:17 AM

All I can say is bravo. Apart from one or two typos, it's good. If I remember correctly, there's an errent "an" where it should be an "as" somewhere around there.

Only change I would've made would've been to use a typewriter font like Courier, but that's just a cosmetic issue at best!

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users