What I liked the most about Aftermath

Azrael Strife

I am playing Aftermath again now, after quitting because of the annoyance of being blasted on every single opportunity by rocket spitters. I still think the game is seriously unbalanced, as some people already said, but one thing I just love about Aftermath is the sound!

First off, the music just fits the game better than possibly any other game I've ever played, I dunno why, but the music just gives me this feeling, I actually can feel I'm fighting a losing battle against the odds, trying to recover my planet, fighting in enemy territory, it gives me a feelign of hopelessness as well as hope (weird, huh), it just fits the game right! Also, the voices, the soldier voices are just terrific! having them have varied accents really creates an atmosphere there! having the asian trooper say "Arien" instead of Alien really makes me believe they are really from all over the world.

I really do love the SAS combat, though it's not the first time we've seen it, it's the same as in X-Com: Apocalypse, reason why I like Apocalypse above all other X-Coms, as a personal opinion, having had Aftermath be a turn-based combat game would've been a terrible mistake (but that's just personal, I don't like TBS).

And finally, the Glossary (god I would so much love it would have a better name), I think it's just amazing, it also helps create that "we have no idea what's going on" feeling, I love it, but I think a larger Glossary interface would have made it a lot better, with a larger video screen (I also liked the small videos a lot, wish they were larger and a bit longer).

So, for me the music is what I like the most about Aftermath, what is your thing?

How about Alienopedia?

hmmm, i really loved the way the squad layout worked, with like 50 different rifles, 25 different pistols, 20 different types of armor, 25 different accessories, and 25 or so heavy weapons, just so much to choose from. the combo mod adds so much to the game that it is unbelievable

I love the post-acopalyptic feel to the game. It really does feel like you are trying to get the remnants of humanity through the terrible disaster. I also think the music really helps to create the right atmosphere to the game.

Incidentally, if you like the music, try downloading the audio extractor tool, which you can find here. The best of it is that it extracts the music in MP3 format, so I've put it on my MP3 player :D

I just finished the game earlier today.

While playing I had read many debates within the forum - is the game any good or not. People here have argued, sometimes very emotionally, for or against the game. I was tempted to give my opinion but took the vow to remain silent until I finish my first game - that is now.

In fact, I could say both good and bad things about this game but this thread explicitely asks for what we liked. And I think it is anyway too late for what we did not like (Aftershock CDs may already be burned and prepared to ship...)

Well, what I liked the most was that squad tactics is creative: there seem to be many good tactics and many bad ones. And some tactics that suit well in a situation spell disaster in a different context. During this campaign I made several experiments with different weapons and team layouts. And there are lots more that people describe on the forum.

There is also something in the mixture of plot missions, random missions and (maybe too little) global strategy that kept me playing almost every day. Although I can't say the story is realistic as it goes in real life, within the game world boundaries the plot is consistent and it really hooks the player and keeps him playing. Also, within a campaign, I "lived" some dramatic episodes but some really funny episodes too.

BUT I can't compare UFO:AM to the X-COM series because unlike 99.9% of the posters here I never played nor heard about these games before! (I hope my account here will not be banned for this :D ). I have however some turn-based tactics and strategy background as an ex-Civilization (I) fan and an ex-Panzer General series fan.

you obviously were in some sort of containment, with no access to technology for most of your life

Well, no containment - at least, none that I could notice...

And I cannot complain either that I spent too little time on computer games in the last years, I'm just not the type to play a game for a few days only. This limits (a lot) the number of games someone can play throughout his life. I probably missed some good ones, among others the X-COM games.

To aggravate the case against me, even the way I purchased UFO:AM is not very honorable as it was sold together with another game - the one I really wanted to buy! I will not name the other game, but after installing both of them I ended up playing UFO:AM.

Bah, I came across X-Com our of pure luck, played it once and didn't play it again until last year (in which I played it again one for time and then deleted it again). The only one I really played is Apocalypse. But I really don't see how not playing X-Com means being in containment with no access to technology :D

Emm...The post apocaliptic felling fo the game.

Also, the sounds, the music,the voices of soldiers,SAS,well almoust everything(except for those bugs).

I've came across X-COM also quite incidently,at my friends house. palyed Enemy Unknown(Ufo Defence) then teror from the deep an Apoc... I still paly the first one :D

I hadn't heard of Xcom until an article in the LEVEL magazine on UFO AM mentioned the game series.

I am only interested in good storyline, pure realism and raw potential. This game provide these just as I like them, and so does HL2. These are the top games on my list, and AS seems to be even better.