Megapol Mod

j'ordos

edit: completely outdated, ignore. Get the latest version from the files section!

in this savegame (though it has become more of a mod) you play the role of megapol, more-or-less. In practise this means:

• updated relations (more hostile towards gangs etc...)
  • updated funds&government funding (higher)
  • you can manufacture all megapol weapons&vehicles
  • but you can't manufacture alien/xcom items
  • those are released on the market by X-com (replaces megapol)
  • no MarSec vehicles&items are available for purchase, as it's your competitor on the market
  • you can purchase airtrans&groundtrans vehicles for transportation
  • you can build cells (though they have no function :D )
  • you do not start with an alien containment and biochemistry lab (+scientists)
  • All Megapol buildings can be purchased and used as bases

notes:

• The self extracting archive also comes with altered exe's (both ufoexe and tacexe) because of the altered tech tree and manufacturing. Back up these files as a normal game will not be possible with them!
  • X-COM craft still are present and will intercept nearby UFOs, note that UFOs shot down by X-COM do not contribute to your score.
  • Some items (mainly craft equipment it seems) remain an 'alien artifact' even after researching them for some unknown reason (probably because of altered manufacturing). Should this occur you can fix this by using a savegame editor to give the tech in question again. The editor will enable the item as well.
  • I tried to come up with some balanced manufacturing costs&times as well as release weeks for X-COM tech, but if you feel something is not right, don't hesitate to tell me! I included a text file with all data in the archive in case you want to have a look (megapol.txt)
  • X-Com and Megapol names are swapped, but I couldn't switch the company icon. In some cases I also had to simply replace X-COM with M-POL, as I can't 'add' stuff to the exe (megapol is longer than xcom)
  • As a result I had to change the manufacturer of every item in the buy/sell list, but I was unable to change the 'ammo' manufacturer, so janitor missiles and such will say they're manufactured by X-COM. (don't worry, it's merely text, you really manufacture it)
  • X-COM owns the slums and warehouses you were originally supposed to use. Better protect those as you don't want to lose your only supplier of disruptor armor :D
  • The archive includes an altered citymap.dat file, which makes roads invulnerable (same as the roadwar fix), if you do not want this, answer no when the installer asks you to overwrite citymap.dat.
  • Another roadwar 'fix' included is the new disruptor ground weapon, replacing the GLM air defense (can't use tanks anyway), this is released on the Market by XCOM by week 6. No other alterations were made, but can still be activated normally with roadwar.
  • Some of the 'left out' items have been reactivated, these are: the dimension destabiliser, the forceweb and the tracker gun+multitracker (which is manufactered by megapol i.e. YOU). Other items either served no purpose or were made by MarSec.
  • the annihilator and Retaliator are never released on the market, Xcom doesn't want to give away it's air superiority! ;)
  • though they don't really expand their airforce, in fact, they still receive their usual police (hover)cars every few weeks... Currently no way to fix that I'm afraid.

That's it for now, I think. If you haven't been put off by all the previous reading, enjoy!

just extract 'megapol.exe' to your main xcom3 folder and make sure you don't have a savegame#9 already. Always back up your UFO2P.exe, TACP.EXE and CITYMAP.DAT!. Start up Xcom Apoc and load the saved game called 'Megapol 2'.

https://users.fulladsl.be/spb6781/Xcom/megapol.exe

Sorry for a rather late reply,

@BB

The ultimate purpose is still to beat the aliens, X-Com just is a passive company like Megapol was before (they have a few craft in the city that attack UFOs, but they won't clean up alerts for you or wipe out the Alien Dimension)

Crime groups are a bit more hostile towards you, but that's nothing to worry about.

@ricardo

you can still buy stuff from other companies, only MarSec refuses to do so. The initial premise of the savegame was to make cityscape battles harder, if you can buy MarSec items, that would be gone (money can be made easily if you can manufacture from the beginning, coupled with raids).

• 1 month later...

An update, check the first post for more details.

Should you already be using the savegame, don't bother restarting, the only changes you won't see (i.e. have been done inside the savegame instead of UFO2P.EXE) are: X-Com craft not disappearing after landing again, and any existing police cars will still be easy to hit, police cars made after updating UFO2P.EXE will be fine though.

The game should be harder now, since you no longer start with an advanced workshop, and vehicles take a bit longer to build too. Police cars are becoming more and more useful, though I recommend using them in open spaces, as otherwise tall buildings will block their fire too much.

A few of the changes are rather experimental, such as the new disruptor cannon, improved point-defense cannons and improved justice/retribution launcher, I hope those work out a bit.

Or you could use this line of reasoning:

Megapol will gladly sell smoke grenades to other organisations. They then sell their stock to other organisations. So on and so on and somehow, someone ends up donating them to the aliens.

Or the aliens are smart enough to raid supply closets and know what to look for.

In any event, the aliens really know how to put them to good use.

- NKF

Ah, I see. But what if you haven't sold any smoke grenades yet? :(

Same goes for the other organistaions then, I certainly wouldn't sell the CoS or the gangs a bunch of plasma pistols, but they end up having them anyway, even before you actually researched them :(

• 2 months later...

If you have a hex editor, check this example:

==================

Phoenix hovercar economics : UFO2P.EXE (18DD10)

01 00 E0 2E 00 00 04 00 0F 00 00 00 00 00* 00 00 00 00** 00 00 00 00***

==================

01 : available from week

E0 2E 00 000 : base price

04 : minimum stock increase

0F : maximum stock increase

00 00 00 00* : current price (in savegame.0X)?

00 00 00 00** : current amount for sale (in savegame.0X)?

00 00 00 00*** : last week amount for sale (in savegame.0X)?
==================

It shows the data for the phoenix hovercar, the hoverbike should be pretty near, search for it's price.

If you're not too keen on hex editing, get AVE's editor instead: https://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7832 (you'll have to scroll down a bit) :lovetammy:

thanks! i just got the craft editor and i'm using it....

Let me abuse your goodwill some more and ask how you changed the research costs.... i want to change xcom research costs in the game and was not able to find a way yet.... how you do it?

My objective with all these changes is to make a more personalized xcom experience, what i want to do is this:

- Increase all research costs to about 5 times normal

- Increase the construction time of labs to 5 times the normal (done)

- Decrease the availability of air vehicles to about a fourth of the normal (done).

- Increase the funding to about twice the normal rate

- Increase starting money to about five times the normal (done)

- Make road vehicles more interesting by using the roadwar mod (done).

So, what i did'nt figured yet is how to increase research costs and funding.... , can you point to me how you do it?

thanks again

Heh this sounds neat. Have you been taking notes on what you've had to change? It'd be neat if you could make a mod that would let you pick any company and it does the switching for you.

If I were to play Megapol though, I'd want my units to be wearing the blue! :cool:

Check the link I gave you containing AVEs editor, I posted a text file there (hexa.txt) with everything I found out so far, including research costs & funding. You'll need a hex editor though, so far there is no editor capable of doing this for you (still waiting for AVE to update his ;) )

I haven't looked at the tactical part of xcom apoc yet, so for now I can't change the uniforms, but who knows, someday... :cool:

First on the list is making the Police stations as your bases, instead of the standard X-Com slums&warehouses. There are still some problems with that though, such as road vehicles mysteriously exploding when reaching their base, ... :s

an organization switcher would be a bit too much work for me, I don't mind wasting time, but there are limits... I don't see many people dying to play as sanctuary clinic anyway.

edit: reducing air vehicles' availability could be an interesting addition for roadwar... Thanks! :)