Final Fantasy VII on Windows XP

Azrael Strife

Has anyone of you (those who play it, of course) been able to run Final Fantasy VII on WinXP? I've downloaded a patch that's all over the net but didn't work, I get a blank screen when I hit new game and that's it, does anyone know how can I run it? This is the MOST awesome game EVER, please someone help :D

Hah! I knew it! It's an AMD! :D

I can't get AMD systems todo anything other then what you describe... But that's with SS2, so there's hope for you yet. ;)

Ok, so with this black screen you get, if you use Alt+Tab to try and return to the desktop, do you see any error messages? Do you hear any sound? If you hit Alt+Ctrl+Del, what's the status of the program? Running, or Not Responding?

When the game first loads, it shows a black screen, if I hit Esc it then displays the "New Game/Load Game" screen, afterwards I hit New Game and it shows me another black screen and the game seems to freeze.

There are no error messages on desktop and the the status of the program is Not Responding.

• 2 weeks later...

try changing DirectX or drivers.

I had a simmilar porblem on my P4HT 3GHz, 256 RAM and GF FX5200(WIN XP).

I only got a black screen after using that patch.

Then i've downloaded new drivers for another game.

I've decided to give Cloud one last chance...And it Worked :D

Although,there were a few bugs a graphic glitches, but it was playable,

Well, when I tried playing FFVII on my windows 2k it would hang (the game only) whenever damage was dealt so I could never get past the 1st battle. I fixed this by registering the compatability mode library that by what I've heard is already registered in XP. Then I just had to right click the shortcut to the game, select the compatability tab, and set it to windows 98. After that it worked fine

Note that any games that you set the compatability mode on, must only be started from the shortcut you've set the mode at, otherwise it will try to run it normally. This is true for at least windows 2K, not sure about XP