More fuel protests in the pipeline

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4236676.stm

For those of you not from the UK, petrol prices are particularly high over here because of the amount of tax the government slaps on petrol. As public transport is poor in this country, petrol prices have become a serious political issue, particularly for lorry firms and people who live in rural areas. A nationwide protest five years ago caused the UK to grind to a halt for several days.

Although Hurricane Katrina has caused petrol prices to go up in the last couple of weeks and taxes in the UK are too high, I think that high petrol prices are a long term situation that the world is just going to have to deal with. The War on Terror is likely to affect the oil industry for years, even decades to come, global production has peaked, or soon will, and the growth of the Chinese and Indian economies has greatly increased demand.

I don't think public transport is particularly bad in this country. Always got me where I needed to go, cheaply. If it's not sufficient, that's probably because people use private transport. Perhaps if more people used public transport, there wouldn't be this trouble, as public transport services would be better. However, every smug little 18-year-old saddo who equates having a car with independence has sent that plan down the tubes. :D

I find all this quite amusing. It's not that expensive. I had a car five years ago, around the time of the protests. Total and utter farce. Had me in stitches.

I heard that a similar thing was about to happen in France last week and the French government just said to the oil companies "put prices back down to normal or we'll tax you more".

As it is in this country, Gordon Brown's getting shizloads off this, so our government is unlikely to say no to anyone.

I just had to get fuel myself, as I'm four miles form anywhere I need to be during the week and was nearly running on empty. What ticked me off the most was the two guys in front who were holding things up actually in the line to PAY. Both had credit cards and both, whilst waiting for the card machine to process their details decided to buy a pack of cigarettes. Then one decided he wanted an air freshener as wella nd didn't have th change. So another card transaction and five minutes later in a queue of three people, I was able to say "pump number 6" and slap my £30 on the counter for my £30 of fuel. I would have just walked to the front and slapped my cash down to start with, but the two neanderthals in front were extremely big neanderthals.

Bloody cretins! Why can't people carry round money any more? It's so much easier!

But that's a debate for another time :D

I can't believe people want the government to artificially control the price of fuel. Don't they remember what happened the last time they did it? We had a fuel crisis. There's a significant advantage to increasing oil prices, it makes alternate sources of oil profitable.

Of course, all this will be a moot point once Dr. Zager patents his bioeletic energy cell which replace gasoline as the motive force for cars :D

Living in a rural area a car is a nessesity (unlike a dictionary) for me. I live about 8 miles from the nearest small town, and 5 miles from the nearest regular bus route.

The stupid thing I find is this, I wouldnt mind paying high petrol tax prices if I didnt have to pay £160 in road tax every year, or the government weren't threatening to introduce more toll-roads. I dont mind being taxed for the privelige oif owning my own vehicle, but I hate being taxed twice!

Makes me want to fill up with red diesel from my bro's tractor! (if i didnt drive a petrol car that is :D )

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
if everyone boycots all the petrol stations we are acting like children, in so far as we cut off our noses to spite our face. If we boycotted those sations currently holding us to randsom over the petrol we depend on then it would (hopefuly) force them to bring prices down in order that we return to bying from them too.... of course it could all back fire seeing as they seem to control the world now.

Long story short, oil is a large problem. The obvious solution is to use some other fuel, but your average Joe isn't prepared to look into the matter, and the corporations are only into what makes money.

And oil is going to make them a LOT of money as the supplies dwindle.

So, what will happen is that we'll continue to pay high prices for gas until there is no gas. After that? I dunno. Hopefully we'll have worked it out by then.

You want someone to blame about the lack of petrol? Blame Mother Nature. She just got the right solution to get rid of the moronic species that is wasting this planet :(

That and global warming: I read somewhere that an organism gets rid of an malign virus by raising his temperature and having a fever. Guess what Earth is doing right now?