No way to speed up Sentinels?

Gungadin

Hi, I'm currently playing SS Sentinels, but as with the original game, I'm getting bored of the looong waiting between turns. I noticed that there is a fastplay mod for regular SS, although I haven't tried it. Is there anything like that for Sentinels?

I long for the days when turn-based games only took 2 seconds for an enemy to take his turn. :D

Ah, so that's what the mod did. I already cranked the speed up to 200%, but the computer still takes too long moving the out-of-sight characters for my taste. I mean, what would have been a 3 minute shootout in real life amounts to about 2-3 hours of waiting for the computer to make its move. : :D

Guess I'll flog the game to someone. I have not the patience.

Well, I'm not a very good Sentinels player, and I have a bad habit of placing my troopers wrong and having to reload halfway through the enemy turn. For instance, in the mission where you get ambushed by 5 wanzers, I didn't find out that they had built-in grenade launchers before I took one in the center of my clustered group of mercs, with nearly everyone dead as a result. These little surprises make me have to reload a lot, and it's really irritating to have to wait the best part of three minutes to see if you'll live through the enemy's next turn.

Wish there was something for this game like there was for Civilization: Conquests. It had a very good speed-up mod that altered the game files in some way.

Aye, I've definnnitely been there. It can be most annoying when you have to reload.

That's probably the one other thing that annoys me on those missions - if one of your team gets klled, you likely all will. It's been a while sinc I played a game that took three days to complete a single mission - I managed okay in Sentinels, but had one or two super-long missions in the first one.

The best way that I know of to avoid a really long enemy turn is to ensure that only a couple of them are aware of you at any one time. This way, the out-of-sighters aren't 'activated' so they don't take up much processor time; check, nope, can't hear or see nothin', next!

But I know that isn't a possibility sometimes, as occasionally (one random encounter in particular) an entire little base will come running at the sound of a gunshot (which is, you must admit, more realistic than the dudes who are 40 feet from you when you open up with a heavy machine gun and don't even move...).

Are you running the game on an older computer? I have a Sempron 2800+ with a gig of PC2100 ram, a 128mb GeForce 6200, and my enemy turns are pretty good. Also, make sure you're not running any background programs, defragment, blah blah. But you knew that. :D

• 3 months later...