Problem with Silent Storm Graphics Tweaker

Le Salamandre

Hi,

I'm trying to improve SS2 as the game is really slow even in the minus configuration. So I gues that this tool (SS2 Graphics Tweaker) can help but after the unzip process, whan lauching it, I get this message: richtx32.ocx can be found or is incorrect...

My computer asked me to install it from the Office Microsoft cds but I still have the same message.

Is Graphics Tweaker really usefull ? How can I fix it ? Can anyone help at all, please ?

:angry:

post-3831-1126029617_thumb.jpg

The most common graphics problem in Silent Storm that causes slowdown is having the colour depth set at 32 bit. I would seriously try changing that to 16 bit in the graphics options in game, disabling tree crowns and seeing if that works (assuming you haven't already tried that).

I thought my computer was just being stupid until I lowered the colour depth to 16bit and it worked fine.

I haven't ever used that program, either, and unfortunately it sounds like your problem is with the Tweaker, not the game.

While you fiddle with the Tweaker, have you tried closing every open program but the game, defragmenting your hard drive, and maybe even reinstalling the game after defragging? All the basic "get your game to run better stuff"?

Yes I did but the loading time between levels is about 10 to 15 minutes ! And if it's raining in the level then the game itself is really crunchy. That's the reason why I was looking for an "accelerator" tool... and tried Tweaker without success.

I'm in France and looking for Sentinel now but do you know if this extension have the same problem ? :angry:

Well, you're over the minimum specs, which are these:

* Windows 98/ME/2000/XP, DirectX 9.0

* 800 MHz Pentium III / Athlon

* 128 MB RAM

* 32 MB 3D videocard GeForce2 / Radeon 9000

* 3 GB hard disk space

But I'd for sure recommend getting some more ram and a faster gfx card, just as a matter of principle (duh).

Otherwise, though, we're at the limits of my knowledge. See if Slaughter can come up with anything, and in the meantime, start saving your pennies!

Graphics Tweaker, wow, that's a little tool I wrote a long time ago. If I remember correctly it needs soem VB runtilme libraries, but I 'thought' they were included with it.

However, it was a long time ago, and I haven't so much as looked at it in probably 2 years. Also, there was an issue I believe with european numerical formats where a comma is used instead of a fullstop. The program uses fullstops, and looks for fullstops, commas break it.

If someone bugs me for the source, I will see if I can dig it up, but the best i will be doing is sending the source code, I don't have VB installed anymore and am not able to offer support for the util beyond that.