Finished! (Spoilers)

Sorbicol

Hey Ho,

Finished the game on Saturday morning after a bit of marathon session Friday night (once everyone was up to level 16 I got bored and just played the missions) I hit a couple of minor problems on the way......

1. The 'Stealth' mission to talk to the official in Russia. I sneaked into the house, stealthly killing any fool stupid enough to get in my way (admittedly my Grenadier spent a lot of time hiding in the toilets for the mission seeing as he couldn't sneak up on a blind person) got to study undetected and then spoke to the official before punching his lights out. The problem was after this:

Ater the cutscene the mission objective is to sneak out of the mansion undetected again. However, on the landing at the top of the stairs there is a guard who appears after the cutscene is over. There is no other way out of the top floor other than back down the stairs. No matter what I did, the second I shot this guy (didn't matter is it was with a silenced SMG, stun pistol or throwing knives, and whether he dies straight away or not) the objective was failed and I had to shoot my way out. OI even tried to blow a holoe in the studdy floor but this made too much noise and all the other guards caming running. This didn't seem to make any difference by this time however so in the end I didn't worry about it. I assume this is some kind of bug?

2. After the plot twist is revealed I did the mission in Egypt first, not the Valhalla mission. Unfortunately when I completed this Johnson turned up at headquarters asking for a lot of money to reveal the whereabouts of the Hammer base. When I went to talk to the base commander to take the Valhalla mission it wasn't available. I had to play a lot of random missions to make up the amount of money required at that point (I'd already done the German bank robbery mission!) Why couldn't I have just been able to play the other missions - is this another bug?

3. Random missions. Is it me are are they all crap? Not enough soliders to fight (Apart from the one on the german coast with the little base full of engineers) and a twaddle to slaughter once you're in a PK. Need harder enemies!

4. The final mission. Apart from the terrible ending (Is that it?!? - nearly worse than S2!!!) it was bloody hard without the right weapons, i.e, high penetration. I spent a lot of time running away the fisrt time I went through it......With the right weapons it was dead easy. Not very well balanced was it?

Overall I enjoyed this more than S2 (The characters worked better - especially the Medic & Engineer) and it was nice to be able to buy ammo for decent weapons. I also enjoyed laying down the occasion mine field in the missions that allowed a bit of set up time. I had one group of 6 terrorists chatge into one field and blow themselves across the screen without firing a shot. This was very gratifying!) Plus you could actually destroy a PK with a couple of well placed shots. Still some annoying bugs though!

Damn, man, you make me really want to play this again, and I can't because I've just started getting the hang of Battlefield 2, and I only have time for one game right now.

I'll definitely be asking for some help on my way back through, though...

Thanks for the update. I look forward to being able to chew over some of the finer points of the game with you down the road.

Damn, man, you make me really want to play this again, and I can't because I've just started getting the hang of Battlefield 2, and I only have time for one game right now.

I'll definitely be asking for some help on my way back through, though...

Thanks for the update. I look forward to being able to chew over some of the finer points of the game with you down the road.

Hope I can, just let me know where you get stuck. I went through the Nival forums last night as well, there are a couple of Special missions I missed while playing this first time so it definately deserves another play through in the not too distant future. I'm in half a mind to write a walk through FAQ or something specifically for Sentinels. However that'll have to wait a while as I'm moving from one end of the UK to the other in about 2 weeks time (Worth it for a 50% pay rise though) and in any case I've got Dungeon Siege II turning up at the end of the week. Mmmm, mindless unthinking violence :angry:

I'll be back online at home after I've moved (The joys of abusing work internet privilidges when you've handed in your notice!) so I might try out Battlefield 2 then. I take it it's better than Joint Operations? That can be a good laugh as well.

Well if you ever write a walkthrough we'll be happy to put it on the site if you like :)

I keep meaning to play through the game again myself, but I'm currently juggling a Superhuman campaign on X-COM Apocalypse among other things. Too many games - never enough time eh? :)

Can't say I encountered too many of the bugs you mention though. I think I was on a mission to get through the game in as few missions as possible. My only problem was having to fork out enough cash to pay for the whereabouts of the enemy base. I had to sell pretty much everything to afford it and then had to go in with rubbish weapons and lose most of my squad...

...and that was on easy setting! :angry:

All right, dammit; it's happened. :) You've inspired me to give Sentinels another shot... :angry:

And now I'm doomed. I'll be here all the time, begging for info, trying to get the FAQ finished so I can ignore the rest of my life and playPlay Play!

Damn you. And your little dog, too...

• 2 weeks later...

I also just finished the game on Easy difficulty. (I'm bad at video games.) It was a great experience, 'cept the ending was a little weak, but hey, who needs a great story when you have unparalelled strategic gameplay.

The technology of the game was pretty funny for a game set in the late 1940ies. I can only imagine the mission briefings.

"OK men, I want you to attack the enemy bunker and clear it out with grenades and SMG fire, just like granddaddy used to. Then I want you to pick up the laser weapons in the bunker and use them to blow up the incoming enemy robots and mechas."

By the way, what the hell was up with the wanzer AI? I had enemy troopers jumping out of their MG armed wanzers to shoot at me with a pistol and I had wanzers getting caught in obstacles and unable to move. Bad programming there.

All in all, I give this game a 8.5/10, with the 1.5 being deducted for insane loading times.

I didn't find the last mission all that hard, I went with the "frontal assault" option to get into the base.

*Spoilers will come next

In the "frontal assault" mission, I found a scout to be invaluable, as he first went and backstabbed the two clifftop snipers and then lobbed grenades at the wanzers when they moved to attack him. (Guard tower sniper had been taken down by sniper fire already.) A bazooka helped clear up the rest of the enemy wanzers who had survived grenade holocaust and sniper fire took care of the MG troopers.

As for the interior mission, I just had my snipers and heavy MG guy clean house until getting to the central room where my engineer got taken down by the robot MG in the first two rounds, thus leaving me without bazooka support. Luckily, I had a few heavy grenades I had picked up handy as well as a laser gun, and I managed to use hit-and-run tactics to blow up the wanzers. Then a fourth wanzer entered from behind, which took me quite by surprise. Having run out of grenades and high explosives, I decided to rush the bugger with my scout and try to chop him up. No damage done at all, but for some reason, the wanzer couldn't hit my scout crouching right next to him. Then it was just a matter of backtracking through the level, picking up spare PMVs as I found them and blew the last robot to hell. Then on to see the major and game over.

Hardest mission in the game: Ambush mission with 5 enemy wanzers before you have heavy weapons or wanzers yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Ho,

Finished the game on Saturday morning after a bit of marathon session Friday night (once everyone was up to level 16 I got bored and just played the missions) I hit a couple of minor problems on the way......

1. The 'Stealth' mission ......

Ater the cutscene the mission objective is to sneak out of the mansion undetected again. However, on the landing at the top of the stairs there is a guard who appears after the cutscene is over. There is no other way out of the top floor other than back down the stairs. No matter what I did, the second I shot this guy (didn't matter is it was with a silenced SMG, stun pistol or throwing knives, and whether he dies straight away or not) the objective was failed and I had to shoot my way out. OI even tried to blow a holoe in the studdy floor but this made too much noise and all the other guards caming running.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another thinking.....

not verified yet.

In this mission, two suits of clothes lying on the bed within next room, maybe one can put them on (one for man, another for woman), without too many gears, or none at all, then walk away sucessfully. Didnot success last time, I carried too many weapons (all store in the backpack, though I didn't think about NO GEAR AT ALL at that moment.)

Did anyone successfully walk away without blowing out next room's windows ?

By the way, what the hell was up with the wanzer AI? I had enemy troopers jumping out of their MG armed wanzers to shoot at me with a pistol and I had wanzers getting caught in obstacles and unable to move. Bad programming there.

I _think_ that happens when their mounted mg jams/breaks and they can't fix it. They probably figure their chances of hurting you are better with a pistol than with nothing :P

(And hell, my soldier happily abandons ship when laser-armed opponents come near)

Knan

Did anyone successfully walk away without blowing out next room's windows ?

I seem to remember making people curious about "what's that strange noise upstairs? Let's go check" ... then hiding in the attic until they went past the ladder and into the next room. Then doing a real fast shuffle down and outside. Very tricky timing.

I just might have taken out that specific guard you were talking about on the way in, however. My problem was several people coming up the stairs and searching me out after the cutscene.

(I might be remembering wrong, of course - it's been a few months.)

- Knan