The dangerest alien!

Lee Bowyer [SK]

For pure brute force, I'd nominate the sectopod. I mean, it's the only unit in 'superhuman' difficulty that cannot be hurt very well with the laser pistol. A close second is the cyberdisc due to its self-destruct and auto-fire abilities that the sectopod lacks -- and it also appears very early too, which makes it a real menace. Luckily, the stun-bomb can wipe multiple sectopods or cyberdiscs with just one shot, so um, nah.

As for the alien crews -- I'd say the one with the better stats wins. Ethereals. They're also the most annoying too. Otherwise all the alien crews are just the same, apart from their stats and the occasional flying ability.

- NKF

Im with NKF on the sectypod. I hate those mofos. First time I encountered them on my game I'm playing now, (veteran), I went to a ethereal terror mission with a plasma squad. Only had one laser pistol as a sidearm for my rocketeer. Those dudes take like 20 heavy plasma shots before going down. Ridiculous.

• 1 year later...

G'day, I'm new around these here parts. I've been browsing around and you all seem like a decent enough bunch. Here's hoping I stick awhile. But onto the topic:

Generally I'd say Ethereals or Sectopods (probably the latter, they just don't die!).

But, depending on alien deployment, Chrysalids can be the terror of terror sites. If a Chrys starts off in a building (or building complex) with access to lots of civilians, it can make the mission a complete write-off. I'm not the sort to bail out of any mission, no matter how dire the situation, but when zombies start swarming from everywhere... It can only end in tears.

if there were a lobbieman/muton/ethereal mutant, that would be it.

Wouldn't that be a Tasoth?

Well it's kind of muton/ethereal mutant but it doesn't get even near the armour of the lobsterman.

I think sectoids are the the most dangerous aliens because they make terror sites right from the beginning when you don't have psi-lab. They also have the crazyest terrorunits with absolutely incredible reactions.

Sectoids brings me the worst memories.

I hate the cyberdisks becuase the sectoids usually start terror sites really early in the game, and the only weapon that really works(and is readily available) is the laser rifle, but they almost always have a terror site before then. Later on, etherials only becuase they have mind powers.

ps- hey puasonen!

Actually, cyberdiscs are quite susceptible to high explosives, large rockets, heavy/auto cannon shells (AP or HE), and, curiously enough, proxmity mines (but you must remember to target its upper-left (topmost) corner). All available for purchase the moment you start the game. So you're not left without any options. Come to think of it, incendiary works too if you make use of the slow but effective napalm effect (large units will take x4).

Okay, so explosives aren't particularly terror-site friendly, but it's not going to make much of a difference when the Cyberdisc detonates.

Tank rockets just don't do enough damage to merit wasting them on one cyberdisc, and rifle/pistols bullets need to be used in such volume! Yes, they work, but you need far too many for a quick kill.

- NKF

If you have time to get laser pistol before the first sectoid terrorsite, you have a chance. Laser pistol works wonders against cyberpills. If you don't have lasers you're in big trouble.

Btw NKF, I like to use a lot of HE in terrorsites too, if you really worry about the civilians more than your own soldiers, you end up dead meat :devil:

I'd say ethereals because....nah you all know the reasons and they're posted here a hundred times.

They don't work from the front though. You are just as well using a paintball gun

hum...onc I had this woman wasting three cyberdisks in a warehouse just with a normal rifle. ok it was in easy mode and I used reload imortallity but at least it proves that it can be done.

That's because, on easier levels, all aliens have less armour. This makes your weaker weapons (like pistols and rifles) a lot more effective.

I guess I'm just a jaded player, since I've begun to base everything off superhuman games. :power:

- NKF

Egh, Sectopods are a royal pain in the arse. Easy mode provides no problem, they die from one Heavy Plasma hit, but once you get closer to the other end of the difficulty, they can be a right pain.

But the most annoying alien is Chrysalids. They reproduce using your men!

Chryssalids would be pain in the a55 but they are so stupid that they rarely give any challenge. They would be very annoying if they got a bit more brains though..