Engrish in Aftermath

Cap'n Kyth

As I see it, there is a reason for that, not precisely an error in translation (if that's what you meant), Soldiers are from all over the world, so it's natural not all of them get perfect english pronounciation all the time :) Me, for instance, I have a so-so pronounciation, but not being my natural language, I tend to give a latin pronounciation to many words, just as when the US ambassador speaks (and I forget to change channels <_ and he has that odd anglosaxon accent just sounds awful on spanish or other latin idioms. src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/angry.gif" alt=":angry:">

Yeah. It's pretty funny though.

I haven't noticed any major distinctions between the American/English (apart from when it comes to women) voices. I often get a fair few Indians. Phoenix Company is /very/ multinational. Sadly, we have no Cyborgs yet. We do, however, have a Muton, a Reticulan (who was the fastest "man" in my squad once, but has since been overtaken by someone else, who happens to run like greased lightning) and a couple of others I think.

Yeah... I never noticed a problem with the accents myself. They sounded pretty authentic for the most part, and the errors in the English only served to emphasize that they were from different parts of the world.

It's pretty hard to sound like you're an authentic Mexican if you've just got an American accent and put "El" onto the beginning of every other word :angry:

Some of them could have been better, granted, but most of them were alright. Not everyone can speak perfect English after all.

Of course they do, I myself have never managed to lose my accent, even after years of practise  :)

The best way to gain or lose an accent is to stay in a foreign country with the accent you want for several years. For example, a German POW from WW2 now has a fairly "thick" northern accent because he stayed in the UK. He lost his german accent and learnt English. Now has a funny accent.

And I felt it was a very nice touch, really gave the feel that soldiers were really from all over the place  :angry:

Agreed. Not like the copycat screams from X-COM.

Yeah... I never noticed a problem with the accents myself. They sounded pretty authentic for the most part, and the errors in the English only served to emphasize that they were from different parts of the world.

It's pretty hard to sound like you're an authentic Mexican if you've just got  an American accent and put "El" onto the beginning of every other word :)

Some of them could have been better, granted, but most of them were alright. Not everyone can speak perfect English after all.

They were good enough and they got the point across that you take people from many places and nationalities.

~~

I don't think X-COM was quite as multinational. I never noticed any Chinese or Japanese names, nor any particularly exotic ones.

Really? X-COM's littered with Chinese and Japanese sounding names, though it's name generating can be a bit random at times. You may well start a few games with a totally English sounding squad, and (as in my last game of UFO Enemy Unknown) end up with half a squad of Japanese chaps and chapesses :angry:

If I remember correctly, the majority of X-COM names were made up from the forenames and surnames of those in teh development team.

If you get your X-COM manual out and load up a game, you'll find that most of the names include surnames from the list of developers mixed with their forenames. I'm not saying they all are, but quite a few are, and on occasion I've had them appear in together to make up a correct name :angry:

Might be that there weren't any Chinese folks on the dev team to point this out?

I like the idea of having lots of different accents for the voices of your squad since it is meant to be a multinational force. Only having American accents (like in X-Com Interceptor) simply wouldn't work for a game like this.

My favourite accents in the game are those of the two Old Greys. There is a definate touch of Peter Sellars about them :angry:

My theory is that India had a Dreamland base just like Area-51 and Kasputin Yar. Greys that were assigned to a Dreamland base anywhere on Earth would adopt a fake local accent to seem less threatening to the base personnel and local officials that they interacted with. Thus the Greys assigned to India would endeavour to adopt Indian accents.

The two Old Greys that join your squad are the only Greys from the Indian base that survived the Fall and the conventional Reticulan attacks on Dreamland bases. They hid out in the wilderness for months, dodging both transgenants and Reticulan patrols before they encountered the Council of Earth. Their experiences would make a great fanfic if anybody is interested :angry:

My theory is that India had a Dreamland base just like Area-51 and Kasputin Yar.  Greys that were assigned to a Dreamland base anywhere on Earth would adopt a fake local accent to seem less threatening to the base personnel and local officials that they interacted with.  Thus the Greys assigned to India would endeavour to adopt Indian accents.

The two Old Greys that join your squad are the only Greys from the Indian base that survived the Fall and the conventional Reticulan attacks on Dreamland bases.  They hid out in the wilderness for months, dodging both transgenants and Reticulan patrols before they encountered the Council of Earth.  Their experiences would make a great fanfic if anybody is interested :angry:

Possibly. I'd say the Indian Dreamland base would have been destroyed though, else it'd be a mission.

It'd be a nice idea if through a mod you could add more scripted missions, like you have Area 51, Kaputsin Yar, and then add a couple more missions onto that little chain (the final mission being the equivalent of finishing Kaputsin Yar). Would prolong gameplay, imo. :)

Ex;

Area-51; Whilst the exact information we wanted wasn't there, a lot of useful data was. We found vague hints as to the location of another base in Russian. (Cue K-Y unveilment shortly after)

Kaputsin Yar; We're starting to pull up blanks now. Kaputsin Yar contained pretty much the same information as Area 51... though we found some photographs and documents indicating the location of a third base... just how many are there?

<Third DR Mission>; Things are starting to look better. It seems this base was one of the first contacted by the Reticulans and maintained contact for a short while before the attack. We have several co-ordinates that we can triangulate to find the location of a final base.

<Fourth DR Mission>; We struck a goldmine. This base in fact held several... "discussions" between representatives and the Reticulans. The whole thing was documented, too. We should have enough information to start formulating a way to get rid of the Reticulan threat.

Et al. :)