Saw 'em twice.. but never again

Cap'n Kyth

Now this is totally bizarre; on my first TWO missions, I get Spec-Ops guys. You know, the ones that are basically bad guy humans but better than the poorly-armed rebels/survivors. Suffice to say I left those missions ASAP as they all had assaults/rifles and all I had was shotguns and pistols. :blush:

Several weeks, nay, months into the game now...

And I haven't seen a single one since the first two missions. Hell, even the poorly-armed rebels are rare. Mostly all I see now is Transgenants.

• 1 month later...

(My first try with the ComboMod)

Those Spec-Ops guys are really nasty in the first missions when your squad is poorly armed and - most important - just veeery sloooow.

After a few weapon collections and speed upgrades, the Spec-Ops don't seem that impressive any more (I still don't know whether they get big guns and rocket launchers later in the game). So I got pleased to see them.

I've met Spec-Ops in several missions, once even inside a base (but then the game crashed and when I reloaded I got transgenants instead :D ).

There seem to be only one "golden" rule: never had a mix of Spec-Ops and transgenants in the same mission. I think the idea is that Spec-Ops could get complexed when put together with the better-looking and more handsome transgenants :D

Or: the transgenants eat people including Spec-Ops. In fact, most transgenants use different parts of human bodies but none seem to assimilate brains. This could explain the inability to distinguish friend and foe humans. Or maybe this is just as stupid as it seems...

By the way, I never got poorly-armed rebels. Which is sad because I like the sound of the "poorly-armed" part.

Later same campaign...

Never saw again these guys either. There seems to be some trigger in the combo that switches off the probability to get spec-ops missions.

I tried the ComboMod and I kept encountering special ops guys every other mission or so. They kicked my azz several times, but only wiped my squad the first time, when I started boxed by 6 guys with assault rifles. The second mission I had one survivor as I encountered cudgels armed with alien rocket launchers (*AUTSJ*). That's when I realised I had to change my tactics. I also had several missions with 2 armed pilots as only opposition, which was peanuts of course.

However, I combined the ComboMod with Alpine and there I selected 'hostile humans' and then you can set a parameter that determines how often they show up. I am not sure if this actually influences how often the special forces dudes show up, but it did appear to have an effect. then again, perhaps 'hostile humans' in Alpine only concerns the '2 pilots' missions and the appearance of the special ops dudes was truly random. If so, they showed up lots of times. I don't have enough data to say for sure as my low-end machine couldn't cope and kept crashing all the time, so I gave it up and played with Alpine only and just a few options.

Cheers,

Lodewijk