Security measures

ok, does it not strike anyone as odd, and disturbing that schools as low as primary age groups are having to put in safty measurers, not against terrorists, or people out side the school, but FOR the teachers and people who work in the schools against the pupils!? does it not worry anyone that teachers now put themselves at risk everytime they walk into a class of children, some as young as 5! we are talkign abotu violence and agression, and war (all important issues i agree) but when you consider that those being violent and agressive are children...

I assume ivory is referring to situations such as This , this, and this.

More extreme are situations such as teachers being besieged in their homes, and one that i find particularly disturbing and scary is that of a teacher being sexually attacked by a 15 year old pupil.

Although I've found very little on primary schools having problems, it's certainly a scary thing that secondary school staff being physically assaulted both in and out of school. Where has this shift in bad attitude come from? where did the traditional attitudes of respect and fear towards teachers become so eroded that now your educator is seen as just another person telling you what to do who can be pushed and punched out of the way?

or, is it that this kind of behaivour has always happened but now teachers are more likely to report it, and that it's being picked up by the media.

I have a friend who is now in his mid-thirties, who was accused of assaulting a teacher at school. However, he claims that the teacher threw a blackboard rubber at him from the opposite side of the tablem and as my friend got up to dodge it, his legs banged the table into the teachers knees and sent him sprawling on the ground.

Although the cases mentioned above are more extreme than that, would the local press have picked up on that story if it happened toaday?

Asa the in-depth strategy core survey proved, the gummi-bears are mainly to blame, but I can't help feeling that there may be something more at work here as well.

Teachers have always run the risk of violent attacks. The problem is that the authorities don't give much support to the teachers, so potentially agressive pupils know that nobody is going to put a stop to their behaviour. If a teacher gives a pupil a clip round the earhole, no matter how richly deserved it might be, that teacher is going to lose his job.

Also, the burden of proof has shifted when a pupil alleges that he or she was physically or sexually abused by a teacher. It is now quite easy for a pupil to make up a malicious allegation to cause trouble for a teacher.

In second grade I was so frustrated by my teacher, I punched her in the hip. (Of course, I caused no damage. But still...)

When I was in seventh grade, I remember a teacher that was a particular arse. One of my close friends at the time was so infuriated by her that he literally lifted up a desk and threw it at her.

That same year, I saw another student get angry about something not quite that big of a deal... He threw a desk at me (Despite not having anything to do with him...) and I dodged away. The desk nearly smashed through the window, potentially harming others. Thankfully it bounced off a counter.

In the tenth grade I there was a stabbing in my school. And later in the same month, a hispanic girl became so enraged with another student that she attacked him with scissors, creating numerous lacerations in the face.

In my eleventh grade year, my fellow classmates deemed it casual conversation to discuss the ways they'd like to kill particular teachers.

In my final year of High School, a boy was arrested for assaulting a teacher. People that saw him suspect he may have actually tried to kill her.

For such a wide range of students to feel such an incredibly high hostility towards teachers, I don't think it's the youth that should behave but rather the teaching methods used. I learned to control myself in time, but I also ignored 90% of what they tried to teach me in High School. (And yet now I find myself discussing things with College Grads as an equal, on occasion...) I maintain my belief, as I have for so long, that the American education system needs drastic changes.

Keep in mind, these are all instances I myself have experienced. That's just me, one person, out of many millions that could've had similar separate experiences of other students or even themselves showing such a high degree of violence.

If a teacher gives a pupil a clip round the earhole, no matter how richly deserved it might be, that teacher is going to lose his job.

Depends on how much of a sod the kid is. While I was at school, a 15 year old attacked a female teacher over something trivial and while in detention after school, the PE teacher beat the shit out of him. Despite half a dozen pupils seeing it, not one backed the kid up because he was such a little turd.

I have noticed that parents used to be on the side of the teachers, but are now on the side of their children, in the main. This may contribute.

point full auto- i definatly remember my parents telling my teachers if i got out of line they could smack me-now im not getting into a debate about that, BUT it does seem as if the parental attitude is changing.

now with cctv in classrooms bvecommin gmore popular in school, teacher WILL lose their job if they do this. . . my question is, what will happen to miniors cuahgt commiting offences, will justic be one sided?

times do change. this brings me alongside my other pet hate - postive discrimination. ITS STILL DISCRIMINATION! but this is for another time.

in the current system teachers arent not allowed to (even) touch children to aply suncream let alone hit them, or give them a thick ear!

we (here on sc) are talkign abotu wars, and violence, and agression and how with it we are destroying our world and hurting many innocent people...this is reflected almost mirrored in schools! we can not escape violence, agreesion, and persectution even in schools! children as young as five are learning how to use these "skills" is that not slightly worrying?

if "we" learn this from such a young age, how are we ever goning to resolve it?

is it not a cycle?

i think the problem can come when one tries to break the cycle, tries to be friendly, and not to attack but gets pissed all over in response. its hard to keep believing in something if everyone around you laughs at it, it is easier to laugh at it too. victim becomes bully. ect...

it interests me how international scale things and those of the playground can be so similar. yet constantly people i know say 'i cant understand how we get into this type of thing'. yet if you show them an example of a school bully...they can tell you exactally how we got there!

i know its not as simple as ive put it here. . . but you have to see the link?

good question, weel presented, glad you asked, wish you hadent asked me.

i nthink the problem is as everyone here seems to say-its not up to teachers to enforce this system, but to promote and maintain it. Parents HAVE to be envolved in the process. If the pupils are given excuses by their parents then their is no need for them to reepct other pupils, or teachers-is there!