Graphic card

Kizmiaz

It would be fine, or at least understandable, if the graphics was seriously updated. But from what I've seen the updates aren't all that big, so it's kind of strange. Guess more destructible terrain, better animations and so on is part of the reason. And quite a few games list higher requirements than what is needed...

• 3 weeks later...

I would've thought so - the rest of your PC seems to be quite speedy.

Aftermath had pretty high requirements at the time it came out, and I managed to run it fairly well on a much slower system.

One question though - why on a system that fast (and presumably quite new) do you have what, by today's standards, is a low-end graphics card? :angry:

Oh, and welcome to the site! :)

I have a FX5200 too, I hope I can make it run, why do they have to make it be such a high minimum? I won't die if the graphics aren't top of the top, I would be happy with a fun game rather than an amazingly looking one that runs very low or forces me to upgrade my whole system in order to simply make it run, they could have low graphics settings for people who don't have 5700 cards, that is fairly expensive and I won't (and cannot at the moment) buy it.

About those graphic cards... Im thinking of buying a new card ( to be honest, for UFO:AS :angry: ) But i found a few types of GeForce 6600 and i dont know which one is good enough... AAnyone can tell me what are the "prefered"parametrs?

Hmm... not sure. There are so many GeForce cards to choose from. Last time I looked on GeForce's website, they were being pretty honest with their own reviews about which card is fit for which purpose - general use, low-end gamer, ultra-hardcore-gamer etc. Might be worth checking out. It'll certainly give you a brief intro even if it is a little biased.

When you've narrowed it down, go on Google and type +"Geforce FX XXXX" +review (replacing XXXX with the model number) and you should get a fair few unbiased reviews from tech sites on the internet.

I'm just going to stick with my FX5200 and hope it's fast enough :angry:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
About those graphic cards... Im thinking of buying a new card ( to be honest, for UFO:AS :D ) But i found a few types of GeForce 6600 and i dont know which one is good enough... AAnyone can tell me what are the "prefered"parametrs?

My advice to you would be to avoid the 6600 series of cards all together. I had one, I've just sent it back for a replacement due to crashing my system repeatedly.

https://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=1029

^^ That thread is 54 pages long with people suffering the same set of problems with 6600GT cards, with no fix for them.

I'd get an ATI card.

My advice to you would be to avoid the 6600 series of cards all together. I had one, I've just sent it back for a replacement due to crashing my system repeatedly.

Just some advice I got from a friend before I got my 6600GT.

The 6600 and 6800 series have rather steep power demands. The "solution" to this is to connect the power card directly to the power supply (the card has it's own socket for that purpose)

I've had my card for quite some time now and I've never experienced such problems so this just maybe it.

Just some advice I got from a friend before I got my 6600GT.

The 6600 and 6800 series have rather steep power demands. The "solution" to this is to connect the power card directly to the power supply (the card has it's own socket for that purpose)

I've had my card for quite some time now and I've never experienced such problems so this just maybe it.

Tried it. I even bought a 525W PSU. It just seems that nvidia dropped the ball on this one. Theres a high % of defective GPU's in the 6600 range. Check the link I posted above.

Maybe, maybe, but you absolutely need more RAM. At LEAST twice as much, and preferably a gig. I've had a gig of PC2100 RAM for 2 1/2 years now (cost about $120 at the time) and it's freakin' amazing the difference it makes (and this is slow ram, compared to todays stuff...).

• 3 months later...

Yesterday, I installed a Leadtek A400 TDH card (266MB) and boy oh boy, are the graphics drastically different!!!!!!

My soldiers look more human and less cartoonish, as do the Cultists. Everything (except the SGs) looks different! I haven't yet kicked Wargot butt so I haven't seen how they look.

Upgrading your vid card is well worth it if you can afford such!

Im using a GF4600 and a friend has a GF6800 and yeh i can certainly agree with you and say the graphics are certainly different. One main thing thats different is the power shields. On mine they are a static grey/white and sometimes difficult to see which way the soldier faces. On my friends the shield is blue/purple transparent and swirling around the soldier. Plus many other things are hugely noticable.

Sadly my comp. it the best my mobo can support. The graphic card is 9600Pro. The game runs fine although the loading times are quite long. I have to watch a movie on TV and play the game at the same time, he he eehhhh...

Unfortunately I'll have to buy a new computer as a whole. And I'll start saving after I pay my car insurance. DAMN car insurance. :lovetammy:

I'm running it on a 32MB Mobility Radeon 9000. The game runs fine, and my card's pretty old. I do experience rather long loading times though, but I've got 1GB of RAM. Are you guys saying the loading times have more to do with the vid card than the proc, ram and harddrive?

For those of you on more modern hardware, a 128MB GeForce 6600 on an Athlon 64 3500+ with 1GB of RAM for example, how long does it take you to get into the tactical part of the game?