Aliens type and ranks?

PzSniper

The only way you can do that is to either Stun them and look at the body in the inventory screen, like if you try to pick them up you'll see "Floater Soldier" or something. Or, you can use a mind probe and see their stats and name "Sectoid Leader". Either way works, Mind Probe is just easier because all you have to do is have seen the alien that turn I think. They are very costly though... 75% TUs I think. Ouch. :)

Help? :)

It's 50% per use, and you need to be looking in the right direction to use it.

You can also use the psi-amps to mind control the aliens and find out their rank. Psi amps are cheaper than the probes for soldiers with 52 TUs and up, but you need someone with at least a month's training in the psi-lab to use one.

In UFO, the probe can be researched a lot earlier, and can be used without psi-training. They are also 100% effective, unlike psi amp which depends entirely on the skills of the user and the target.

I suppose you can also take a guess and assume that some ranked always start in certain areas of the map. Like the command room in an alien base and the UFO bridge tend to have leaders and commanders. They won't be there all the time but I suppose it's okay to assume that they'll still be within the general vicinity after a few turns.

- NKF

As Aziraphale have told now i use MIND PROBLE and it's very nice to use, even if i'm NOT im the enemy direction (?).

Anyway i'm now training some guy at psi lab so i'll try the other way too.

Thank you vry much guys, amd tell me if i'm disturbing you too much with all my (maybe) stupid questions, but usually i try the SEARCH button first! :)

I just meant you need to be looking in the general direction of the alien to probe it.

If you aren't looking in the right direction, your soldier will automatically turn for you. It's just like when you're targeting an alien behind you, your soldier will first spend some TUs to turn around before shooting.

This just means that you won't be able to use the probe twice in one turn if the soldier has to turn in order to probe an alien, since each use of the probe is 50% of your TUs.

- NKF

If you see an alien using a stun launcher it will most probably be a medic or an engineer...

All terror creatures such as cyberdisks, chrysallids, silacoids, celatids, etc. are not associated with ranks.

An like mouse said BB carriers are most probably leaders or commanders, however, some solider classes do carry these weapons...

im off to play games now :)