UFO:AM story vs X-COM series

Kaarna

I know I'll probably get hung for this, but I haven't played the original X-COM series - At All. Now I'm really addicted to UFO:AM and mainly because of its intriguing story.

I realise that UFO:AM is a remake of the classic X-COM, but I'd like to know to just what extent is this true. For example, did the aliens in the original X-COM game transform animals on earth into their warriors and was the infamous Russian base included in the original?

It would be interesting to hear a few opinions about the storylines, how they differ and/or which story people found more interesting.

P.S If you're gonna include a spoiler in your reply, plz make sure to warn readers first :)

UFO: Aftermath was inspired by X-COM, and has quite a few similar elements, but the stories are not related. If you feel like some X-COM spoilers you can read the storyline here. Very interesting story in X-COM as well! :)

On a related note, if you feel like trying X-COM, you can download the first game from Fileplanet. Read more here.

Okay a few spoilers for both X-Com and UFO Aftermath here:

One of the things I like about UFO: Aftermath is that not only is there a complex storyline, but there is a relationship between the storyline and the alien strategies. It is also clear that the aliens are working to some kind of plan from quite early in the game. For instance, when you build biomass repulsor bases they become prime targets for direct alien attack for reasons that become clear once you've worked out the alien intentions. The aliens also regard wiping out humanity as a necessary evil, and not something to be particularly proud of.

The first two X-Com games simply gives you the vague impression that the aliens are out to harvest the life forms that have evolved on Earth before they wipe out humanity and colonise Earth. Their motivation seems to be a desire not to share the universe with any other intelligent race. In X-Com 3 and X-Com Interceptor, the primary alien motive seems to be to remove humanity because our success in the first two games makes us a threat to their continued survival.

If the X-COM is not the ms-dos version, turn off DirectDraw, since the Collector's Edition was made with Direct X 6 version but for some reason until you turn off DirectDraw to play the game, the graphics will be scrambled on every computer!

:blush:

On the version I have just turning off Graphics Acceleration works. Suppose it's the same thing.

Long time no see all