Roboraptor - Jurassic Park in your living room...

Slaughter

Do I get a prize for knowing that raptors thrived in the late Cretaceous period and not in the Jurassic period? They were pack hunters who killed most of the extras in the films. I just wish they'd eaten those whiny kids in the first film :)

These are the sort of creatures that the Gillmen from X-Com 2 would have had to put up with. The only competing species our ancestors had to beat down were sabre-toothed tigers who were scavengers anyway.

Few of the dinosaurs from Jurassic Park were from the Jurassic period. Most people who make films are thick as shit and just don't care about inconvenient things like facts.

I just wish they'd eaten those whiny kids in the first film

Ah, but it was Shpeilberg, and seeing as he's incapable of being anything other than a big soppy wet blanket of a director (witness his clumsy handling of emotion in every film he's ever made), children just aren't allowed to be harmed in his films. Even when they deserve it. Witness War of the Worlds.

These are the sort of creatures that the Gillmen from X-Com 2 would have had to put up with

Well, only some of the time. Unless there was a subspecies that had gills. And flippers.

The Gillmen were amphibious, which meant they would have spent some of the time on dry land :)

If you didn't like the first film, you really don't want to see the sequel in which a mother tyrannasaurus rex and her baby (another species that postdates the Jurassic era, but I'm sure no-one noticed) were taken back to America to be shoved in a zoo.

thats americans for you! :) lol

no your right slaughter-and the tooth fairy is real, and santa really does squeeze his big backside down your chimnley every christmas time :)

for god sake boys ITS A FILM! i think the people who need help are the ones who belive things they swee on tv or films. no offence ment because yout wo obviously have your heads in teh righ tplace-but other people who woudl argue blue that your wrong just cos they've seen a flim called jurassic park with them in! grrrr it annoys me. this type of thing only happens because morons exploit artistic lisence, and equaly moronic (is tha ta word?) people belive it to be the absolute truth-cos god forbid a film wouldnt use factual information! do they think there was really some one on the titanic that had all that happen to them? that they traced every movement and story from the people on the boat that day to make the film??? for god sake! GROWN UP!

sorry-rant over, got a tad carried away there. big appologies!

Edited by Ivory

Hehe, nice one Kernel :)

@Ivory: There are two sides to this. As you say, one has to wonder how smart some people are when they learn all their "facts" from movies. Most of them are "fiction" after all. But at the same time, like FullAuto, I find it annoying when they blatantly ignore facts in movies. I recently watched the mediocre Spider-Man 2. Sure, it's fiction alright, but one scene really bothered me. The badguy in the movie was climbing this skyscraper, and when Spider-Man grabbed the victim from him, the police started shooting towards the badguy. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that those bullets has to come back down somewhere, and that most people in the city are not impervious to the projectiles. The police sure knows better than to fire like madmen straight up in the middle of a city, and that shouldn't be different just because there happens to live a few superheroes there. Not like Spider-Man ran around collecting all the falling bullets...

Anyway, things like that REALLY bug me. Fiction is fiction, but they should still check their facts concerning the non-fiction parts of the movies. In general it's apparent that quite a few directors and A LOT of developers never fired a gun in their life. They should visit the firing range once in a while, and possibly ask the army or some weapons dealer to give them a demonstration of the heavy stuff.

santa really does squeeze his big backside down your chimnley every christmas time :)

I'd like to see that since I've got central heating.

Maybe I'll have a chimney installed so I can rediscover the pleasures of a nice coal fire on Christmas Eve. That's what happens when Santa fobs me off with a rotten pair of socks at Christmas :)

i do quite agree slaughter-research is the only bases for a good plot, and good characters. trust me i am with you.

I take it that you're the type that hates Star Wars? :)

@Slaughter: I dunno about your Spider Man reference. When I saw it, it looked like they were firing at an angle. Meaning, their bullets would've been stopped by the skyscraper sooner than they would have gone clear through, and out the other end, causing them to arch back down and hit someone. If the cops were shooting straight up, maybe I could understand. Or am I thinking of a different scene? Maybe I should go check my DVD to make sure...

I take it that you're the type that hates Star Wars? :)

@Slaughter: I dunno about your Spider Man reference. When I saw it, it looked like they were firing at an angle. Meaning, their bullets would've been stopped by the skyscraper sooner than they would have gone clear through, and out the other end, causing them to arch back down and hit someone. If the cops were shooting straight up, maybe I could understand. Or am I thinking of a different scene? Maybe I should go check my DVD to make sure...

Through the skyscraper? Bullets from pistols? No way. Some would probably get stuck in the wall as you say, but with that steep angle chances are some would ricochet of the wall or other surfaces and angle back over the same streets. And if I remember correctly the badguy was so far up on the building that some could possibly pass over it, even at an angle. Anyway, as I haven't tested it I can't say it for sure, but cops would never take that chance. Imagine the headlines: "Two children killed in central park by falling NYPD bullets"

Through the skyscraper? Bullets from pistols? No way.

Way. Standard sidearm for pretty much every police force is a 9mm pistol of one type or another. 9mm is a damn fast bullet. Some officers prefer larger calibre guns, revolvers in .357 say, which has even more power.

Way.  Standard sidearm for pretty much every police force is a 9mm pistol of one type or another.  9mm is a damn fast bullet.  Some officers prefer larger calibre guns, revolvers in .357 say, which has even more power.

And you expect it to go THROUGH a skyscraper!?!

Ummm, 9mm bullets fired from a pistol will never pass through a wall no matter what angle or how close they are fired. They have a hard time passing straight through the human body as it is. They just don't have enough penetrating power to do it.

If they had enough penetrating power to pass through a wall then not only would the shot kill it's target but probably several civilians in a line behind the target as well.

If armour piercing bullets were used then maybe but you won't find armour piercing bullets in use in most police forces.

9mm bullets have a very high velocity, and most certainly will pass right through a human body.

9mm tests.

If they had enough penetrating power to pass through a wall then not only would the shot kill it's target but probably several civilians in a line behind the target as well.

This is exactly why hollow points/Glasers etc were invented. It's well known that 9mm offers more risks of over-penetration than a 5.56mm rifle round.

That is fine, but we're talking an angle on a SKYSCRAPER. It would have to pass through several walls and floors to get through one. And skyscrapers usually have pretty solid walls...

I didn't say it would go all the way through the BUILDING. Just one wall! :)

Bullets often perform strangely. I once was told of a large rifle round hitting a TV and bouncing off to bury itself in a bookcase. An extreme example, but an example nevertheless, of how bullets often do things they are not supposed to.

Edit: Apologies, I've just realised police officers wouldn't be using full metal jacket ammunition or armour-piercing, so their bullets wouldn't go through a masonry wall. However, 9mm is quite capable of such. It's not a wimpy calibre, despite many naming it as one.

Enough ballistics! Back on topic!

These robotic friends are becoming very popular, aren't they? Puppies, humanoids, and now dinosaurs...are they taking over?