How well depicted are the weapons in Aftermath?

Accounting Troll

As you know, there are a lot of 'real life' weapons in UFO: Aftermath, and some of them are more useful than others. I am curious as to how well Altair have depicted their relative stregnths and weaknesses in the game.

For instance, is the HK G3 really better than the FN FAL and the AK-47? Is the Scorpion really so weak in real life? And does the Colt 0.45 really provide such good stopping power at close range?

For instance, is the HK G3 really better than the FN FAL and the AK-47? Is the Scorpion really so weak in real life? And does the Colt 0.45 really provide such good stopping power at close range?

The G3 is a superior rifle to both the AK-47 and the FN FAL, being slightly more powerful and more accurate than the AK and more accurate than the FN FAL. Heckler & Koch make superior quality guns of practically every type, from pistols to grenade launchers.

If the Scorpion you mention is a machine pistol, then yes, it's the same one I'm thinking of, and it fires a fairly small pistol bullet (7.65mm Browning/.32 ACP depending upon your side of the Pond).

The Colt .45 is a large calibre pistol and although the bullet is slow, it hits quite hard.

If you've got any more gun-related questions, please ask away and I shall do my best to answer them.

Lets see, most of the weapons are depicted pretty accurately, just there is no XM-8... it would have been cool to use shotgun at close quarters but machine gun at distance

From what i can tell almost all of the handguns are accurately depicted, however, i do not know about the MP7, MP5, and P-90... they all are modern weapons and probably have their own major weaknesses and powers, but they are so similar in strength that the developers probably just gave the MP7 best stats

The MP-7 is the most modern of the three, being an example of the relatively new Personal Defence Weapon concept. H&K claim 100% penetration of standard NATO body armour at 100 metres by the MP-7, rendering it superior to the MP5 and probably a little ahead of the P-90 (which was the first ever PDW). The MP-7 is more powerful, and probably more accurate and comfortable to fire too.

That would probably mean bigger bullets, smaller magazine, and heavier gun and magazines though

Nope, surprisingly enough. It uses a unique 4.6mm bullet, like a scaled-down rifle round. P-90 is 5.7mm IIRC, MP5 fires standard 9mm. You can get 20 or 40 round magazines (P-90 magazine holds 50, MP5 magazine holds 30). MP-7 weighs a bit more than 1.5kg empty, (P-90 weighs 2.5kg empty, MP5 weighs 2.5kg empty). MP-7 is 34cm long (P-90 is 50cm long, MP5 is 70cm long).

Actually, i'm pretty sure that the MP7 replaces the MP5 now that i think about it

However, you cannot say that P90 is not faster reload, the magazine that can mount on the top is very fast at loading, it is also very balanced when loaded

I also doubt that all they say about the MP7 is true, they always have some exageration somewhere

However, you cannot say that P90 is not faster reload, the magazine that can mount on the top is very fast at loading, it is also very balanced when loaded

I also doubt that all they say about the MP7 is true, they always have some exageration somewhere

I don't know about reloads, however, the MP-7 is by far the more straightforward. It would seem that it's probably a quicker reload, being more conventional. The MP-7 can also be fired one-handed, unlike the P-90.

I doubt H&K have exaggerated any more than any weapon maker, as they've offered the MP-7 for trials with NATO, and several German special forces have adopted the weapon. I don't know of any country that officially uses the P-90.

I've no doubt H&K studied the P-90 in depth and improved on it in pretty much every way. They would be foolish not to have done so, and all indications point to the MP-7 being superior. This isn't much of a shock, really, the P-90 came out in the late 80s, I think, whereas the MP-7 came out in 2001. Plenty of time for refining the concept and the hardware.

FA, you know a worryingly large amount about guns!

The Colt .45 is a large calibre pistol and although the bullet is slow, it hits quite hard.

That would explain why in the game a 7 round clip for the Colt 0.45 weighs as much as the unloaded pistol, as well as the impressive stopping power of the bullets.

I don't know about reloads, however, the MP-7 is by far the more straightforward.  It would seem that it's probably a quicker reload, being more conventional.  The MP-7 can also be fired one-handed, unlike the P-90.

I doubt H&K have exaggerated any more than any weapon maker, as they've offered the MP-7 for trials with NATO, and several German special forces have adopted the weapon.  I don't know of any country that officially uses the P-90.

I've no doubt H&K studied the P-90 in depth and improved on it in pretty much every way.  They would be foolish not to have done so, and all indications point to the MP-7 being superior.  This isn't much of a shock, really, the P-90 came out in the late 80s, I think, whereas the MP-7 came out in 2001.  Plenty of time for refining the concept and the hardware.

The P90 has the longest reload time of the five PDWs/sub-machine guns in the game, 2.5 seconds as opposed to 2.0 seconds.

The in-game statistics support your argument that the MP7 is a refinement of the concept of the P90. It matches or exceeds the P90 in everything except that it has a slightly smaller ammo capacity.

Thats just the game, i have personally seen people fire two P-90s at once, and although it isn't exactly sniper fire it is accurate enough to work. Reload time is RL is probbly around the same, but offset by the fact that it has a bigger magazine

The magazine goes on top, but it is very hard to reload unless you know how to... that is all just my observations on it, because this guy could change magazine in about 1.5 seconds, but it looked complicated in a sort of way

Thats just the game, i have personally seen people fire two P-90s at once, and although it isn't exactly sniper fire it is accurate enough to work. Reload time is RL is probbly around the same, but offset by the fact that it has a bigger magazine

The magazine goes on top, but it is very hard to reload unless you know how to... that is all just my observations on it, because this guy could change magazine in about 1.5 seconds, but it looked complicated in a sort of way

Firing two guns at once is never a good idea, because due to the nature of human vision, it's impossible to aim two guns at once. I know, I've tried. You can hit targets after some practice, but it's not as effective or as accurate as firing with one weapon.

Look at it this way: with the MP-7, gravity is on your side. You eject an empty magazine, it falls out, you can have a full one out of a pouch and into the gun before it hits the ground. The P-90 YOU have to take the magazine off the top, drop it, then pull a fresh one and slap it in. If you get two people to race, equal in speed, one using each weapon, and both are practiced, the MP-7 will always be slightly faster, due to the mechanics.

That would explain why in the game a 7 round clip for the Colt 0.45 weighs as much as the unloaded pistol, as well as the impressive stopping power of the bullets

A magazine is probably slightly heavier, actually, the Colt .45 isn't that big of a gun, it's quite slim.

FA, you know a worryingly large amount about guns!

I know. A friend of mine won't watch films with me any more because I keep pointing out all the stupid weapon mistakes.

Keep in mind subsonic bullets are usually heavier to compensate for their slower speed.

Silencer is just another word for suppressor, and revolvers don't work with them because they use an open chamber, the sound and flash isn't confined within the barrel, so can't be 'suppressed'.

it could be if you shot it in a vacuum :)

yeah, usually weapons with silencers in movies are MP5s or small submachine guns... In fact, i just thought of this, most assualt rifles wouldn't even be able to use a silencer

Also, i don't know for certain, but i believe that if you watch a movie where bullets go zinging by with their little "Zip! Whir! Zing" that that is not true(most movies that do that use M-16s) because M-16 bullets travel far too fast to hear that unless it is almost hitting the ground. I don't know about AK-47s though

it could be if you shot it in a vacuum

Smartarse. :)

In fact, i just thought of this, most assualt rifles wouldn't even be able to use a silencer

Why not? Pretty much any gun that has a closed chamber can, and you can find subsonic ammunition in any calibre.

Also, i don't know for certain, but i believe that if you watch a movie where bullets go zinging by with their little "Zip! Whir! Zing" that that is not true(most movies that do that use M-16s) because M-16 bullets travel far too fast to hear that unless it is almost hitting the ground. I don't know about AK-47s though

I know bullets make a sound, but you wouldn't hear it until it was past you, a lot of them being supersonic, so the sound would be behind them.

Well, it is kind of hard to suppress the sound of a bullet moving at 1600 miles per hour though

M-16s you don't hear the whiring sound because instead of a whir you hear a sonic boom from the bullet. I just forgot to finish that. But htere is no whir

Well, it is kind of hard to suppress the sound of a bullet moving at 1600 miles per hour though

That's why they use subsonic ammunition.

M-16s you don't hear the whiring sound because instead of a whir you hear a sonic boom from the bullet. I just forgot to finish that. But htere is no whir

Due to the small size of the bullet, the sound is probably pretty high. It's been described as a sort of high-pitched whine. The only thing I can think of is a bee on amphetamines.

Yeah, but in movies, they tend to make them have a non-sonic boom sound and more of a whirring. Like i said i don't know about AKs and stuff though, so they could do that. And yes, it would probably be pretty high pitched boom too... nice image... I see a bee just shooting along really fast... lol