Question

inteck

Not too sure if this belongs here or elsewhere. I recently downloaded some charts with some info on weapons, armor and transgeants from here. The problem is that they are all in Xls format. I tried downloading the free reader from Micro$oft, but it won't install (says it needs a newer version of windows). I understand that the charts are being converted over to adobe and was wondering where I could get them in that format. I have been looking all over the net and can't find anything that I can open or read these Xls files with (older win98 system is crap) so a conversion or a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

.xls is MS Works. You should be able to open em in MS Word. If not, try dragging to an open Word window.

:P Win98 not equipped with works or word, only notepad and wordpad....probably just need another operating system (which I can't afford) Thanks anyway. If someone here has converted these files into something else besides this stupid xls format please let me know.

I will try to get them converted, but I have no tools available for it at the moment. You can either download the free OpenOffice.org, or you can take a look in the UFO: Aftermath->Stats section at the front page. Hope that helps.

:) Thanks for pointing me in the right direction as far as a progam to open these files. 64 meg is a rather large download for my 52 baud, but it looks like a good program to have for other stuff as well so I will grab it.

:P One further question: I have been playing the beta combo mod (many accolades of praise) and am thinking of upgrading it with 1 or two more things....mainly descriptions and graphics in the R&D development glossary section. I am also going to re-work a couple of items such as armor and weapons in the game so I am going to need (in combat testing) a character savegame/editor so I won't have to spend enourmous amounts of time building characters to do the tests. At one time this site had an editor (by Hydronom I think), yet I never bothered downloading it (wish I had) does anyone know of where I can get it or something similar?? :D I was rather suprised that I couldn't find anything on the net, every link or site is dead and this one doesn't carry it ;) anymore (any help would be useful). Thanks in advance.

OpenOffice.org is an excellent program. I'd go for the 2.0 beta, as it is a great upgrade compared to 1.1.3.

Regarding the savegame editor, I have several at home. I'll take a look tonight and upload one or two. The reason I didn't add them after we moved is the fact that I don't know if they work with the latest version of Aftermath (that's also the reason I didn't upload all that many mods), and since there was little feedback on them in the forum I wasn't sure how many people used them.

If you need any help with the Combo-mod, I'd suggest talking to BlackAlmaz. He's made large parts of it, and since Aralez left he is the owner of it. And do tell us when you finish! We can add it to the files section :P

OpenOffice.org is an excellent program. I'd go for the 2.0 beta, as it is a great upgrade compared to 1.1.3.

Regarding the savegame editor, I have several at home. I'll take a look tonight and upload one or two. The reason I didn't add them after we moved is the fact that I don't know if they work with the latest version of Aftermath (that's also the reason I didn't upload all that many mods), and since there was little feedback on them in the forum I wasn't sure how many people used them.

If you need any help with the Combo-mod, I'd suggest talking to BlackAlmaz. He's made large parts of it, and since Aralez left he is the owner of it. And do tell us when you finish! We can add it to the files section :P

:D The actual modifications are rather easy. Sadly the "manuals" section here at the forum is largely incomplete so I have had to take guesses and go through by trial and error using what information is already available. The biggest thing I have found about modding this game even slightly is time...it is really REALLY time consuming as you have to go through and make sure you don't make any mistakes with each and every addition or modded item. The only way I have found to do this is go through and actually play the game from start to finish (again major time consumption). :) My computer is rather old and painfully slow, compared to the people I have seen post here (P3@1.1 Ghz with A Geforce 2 video card) so you can imagine my pain.......especially when playing the game in late stages ;) .....fps is EXTREMELY choppy and speed is almost intolerable both in geoscape and tactical . The tools I have found and downloaded here do a good job of packing and unpacking things but I am probably going to need an editor or two for testing purposes so yes I am interested in anything available to make the job easier.

On a different note: I have discovered some rather realistic (IMHO) firearm sound effects in wave format (no lasers/energy or psi effects). If someone here wants them then let me know (I don't know where I can upload them to; roughly 10+ mb worth if I counted correctly)

:) ufo_am_edit seems to be working o.k.

Opinion: Not exactly too user friendly for begginners; must have basic a working knowledge of a saved file structure (not a problem in my case :P ).

:D ufoamsge: Currently in German, I don't know how to change it to English even though it looks like it has the capability to do so.

;) Unfortunately it looks like it might be messed up, a message box pops up and reads:

Runtime Error!

Program D:\UFO AFTERMATH\UFOAMSGE.EXE

abnormal program termination

When trying to access a save file. (progam terminates completely when the "o.k." button is pressed)

• 1 month later...