New editor for X-COM Collectors Edition

Slaughter

hatfarm has been hard at work to create the best X-COM: UFO Defence (UFO: Enemy Unknown) editor to date. It is windows based, easy to use and has more possibilities than any editor before it. Now anyone can be an X-COM modder!

The current beta release supports only the Collectors Edition of UFO, with one for the DOS version soon to come. You can edit anything from soldier names to item properties, and it is all done in a neat graphical interface. You can read more about the editor in this topic, and download it in our files section.

Crop2.jpg Crop3.jpg Crop4.jpg Crop6.jpg

I have been fooling around with your .exe editor for the past couple of weeks and I must say it is a vast improvement over v 2.45. Cosmetic issues aside, your editor does everything I would want it to do. Thanks hatfarm! :P

The Collector's edition is incredibly hard to find! And when I find one, it's typically selling for very big bucks with much competition!

The next version should have at least the dos version available for edit. I just have to find everything in that .exe as well and make adjustments. I don't want to leave anyone behind. I'll also be making a patch program so you can patch your .exe with someone else's edits.

Hatfarm: I might suggest having two backups. One as a clean-restore backup (or whatever state it was before the editor was installed/run for the first time) and the other being the periodic backup as you are doing now.

- NKF

For some reason I never really dug anything after UFO. I was okay with TFTD but it was too much like UFO to not make me want to just play UFO. Then Apoc was too little like UFO. I'm prissy I know. Plus I'm very lazy and have little time to actually work on this stuff (I worked for 12 hours yesterday). I also haven't really played apoc much. That's the long answer.

The short answer is: probably not, but maybe if I'm bored enough.

Hatfarm: I might suggest having two backups. One as a clean-restore backup (or whatever state it was before the editor was installed/run for the first time) and the other being the periodic backup as you are doing now.

- NKF

That's a really good idea and I'm definitely going to have to do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, what do you guys think of it having an undo feature, possibly with a depth of five steps back or so?

That's a really good idea and I'm definitely going to have to do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, what do you guys think of it having an undo feature, possibly with a depth of five steps back or so?

All such features are useful, so I think that would be good!

Hehe. When I got my hands on Hatfarm's editor, the first thing I did was make a copy of my exe. Like Stun Grenade said, editing it is a bad thing. Still, having the editor do that will save some time. I also like the idea of an "undo" feature.

Keep up the good work, Hatfarm! :P

- Zombie

yeah, the executable has to be "ufo.exe" for now too. That's changed in the upcoming version though. I'll be doing the undo thing within the week. I've got lots of little things I want to do, I've gotta figure out what I want to do first. Maybe I'll post the current version tonight. It's just got some small bug fixes, you pick the .exe to load and it's all in tabs instead of different windows.

Well, I've uploaded version 0.8beta. It's at https://www.stonepool.com/xcom/ufomod08.zip. Not really an update, it's all in one form now and it uses a lot less memory. There were also a few bugs I noticed when copying some functions and stuff. You still can't make a facility be able to be built. I think when I get the research stuff done, it might work. We'll see. I've still got a lot to do with the item editor but anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks.

Also, I can't remember if your last editor showed what the person would look like with hair and such? Is that in it? Maybe add some different styles?

I'm not quite sure what this means. What person, and what hair? This is not an image editor. I would suggest using one of the .pck editors. I do want to allow changing what .pck is pointed to in the different files so you don't have to just edit the ones that already there (though I would suggest doing that anyway if you can). My hope is to make this editor powerful and flexible. So yeah, that's that. Thanks for the update slaughter.

Well, I've made a version that can load any copy of x-com except dos version 1.0. It can do 1.2, 1.4 and CE. Please let me know if you run into any problems. I fixed a lot of bugs I found along the way (it wasn't saving obdata.dat for one). New features are coming in the next one, as well as undo and help. The master backup is an option so you can do that. The new version can be gotten from https://www.stonepool.com/xcom/ufomod085.zip.

That's about it. Thanks.