Corrupted save files in X-Com EU

FullAuto

Do we know what causes the save fivles to corrupt? Because I cleaned out my save files and started a new X-Com game on superhuman, got all the way to September without any files getting corrupted and now all 3 of the save slots I've used have corrupted. Whenever I load it up, the game plays as normal for a little while, then crashes and leaves me at the end of mission screen, having lost my skyranger and my squad.

I've got x-com util, if that makes any difference. I'm quite sick of this happening, as it seems pretty random, but just happens to ruin my most important saves.

Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

Not to revive an old thread needlessly, but this has happened on my latest base defense mission :D

Fortunately though I've used all ten slots and can go to an earleir point in time, but I've got to start the base defense mission again. I really wanted to know if my four remaining, bleeding, struggling men would come through for me or whether I'd lose the game...

I just hear this sound of a Heavy Plasma and then it dumps to Windows, almost like it can't handle the sound file.

Is there any other portion of another save that might be used to copy across and fix the problem?

Not to revive an old thread needlessly, but this has happened on my latest base defense mission :D

Fortunately though I've used all ten slots and can go to an earleir point in time, but I've got to start the base defense mission again. I really wanted to know if my four remaining, bleeding, struggling men would come through for me or whether I'd lose the game...

I just hear this sound of a Heavy Plasma and then it dumps to Windows, almost like it can't handle the sound file.

Is there any other portion of another save that might be used to copy across and fix the problem?

I dont have a fix but i'm interested in a copy of the corupted save if you have it.

-Blade FireLight

I'll see if I can dig one out. Often, when using XCOMUtil, if I exit the game and instead of using runxcomw.bat I use plain old xcloader.exe, it fixes the problems. Means I can't use XCOMUtil again, but hey?!

So... you'd think it was Xcomutil, but then just using f0dder's bugfix loader on it's own also causes corrupted saves...

Fortunately I use all ten slots and back up my saves to a different location occasionally, so it's not so bad.

• 1 year later...
I don't think it's xcomutil, I was getting corrupted saves before I had it.

Was searching for this topic as I'm currently having the same problem, but it's only really bothering me on my first base defense mission. I have a save just before the base defense so I'm going to try running that one and see how it goes. It's a pretty crippling bug as I've only come close to finishing the mission one time out of at least 10-15 tries.

Care to post up your saved game? We'll look at it and see if anything can be done. If not, I can always finish the mission for you so that you can continue on. :)

- Zombie

Ok, one of the saves is posted. Begins right at the start of the base defense mission.

Oh and I finally beat it just now by doing something I don't normally do during tactical battles, and that's saving every other turn. :) Since the crash does seem random, I eventually stumbled my way through the mission.

GAME_1.zip

:)

A Hovertank Laser Cannon? And how were you able to get non-researched items such as the Heavy Plasma and Alien Grenades to spawn in a base defense mission? Have you been doing some editing? Wait, you are using xcomutil, correct? That would explain the tank. :)

- Zombie

:)

A Hovertank Laser Cannon? And how were you able to get non-researched items such as the Heavy Plasma and Alien Grenades to spawn in a base defense mission? Have you been doing some editing? Wait, you are using xcomutil, correct? That would explain the tank. :)

- Zombie

No, I haven't done any editing, I've only used XComUtil and Mok's 2xSAI file (Which has really helped my eyesight! hah).

I'm not sure how or why the non-researched items showed up, I wish they didn't because they not only get equipped on my soldiers all those heavy plasma's take up a lot of space. :)

I don't know the full extent of what Mok's file does. I believe I linked the original thread from the download in our files section, so that might shed some light on the matter, perhaps.

Yeah, if it becomes a constant problem I'll try and re-install and just stick to XcomUtil. I actually like the "smoothed" graphics the 2xSAI brings, even though they seemed blurry at first but if I can't play the game for very long at a time it won't be worth it.