Feedback on StrategyCore

Slaughter

My bad wrong use of words - What I meant was that it is very similar to some pages I've seen.

I understand now :( Yes, I was trying to go for more of a magazine/media look and feel so it will feel a little familiar, whilst at the same time hopefully retaining a familiar feel of StrategyCore (there's no place like home :().

Definitely the dark skin will give more of a sense of familiarity as the majority of the designs I've created over the years have been dark (with the exception back at x-com.co.uk where it was blue for a while).

It will be up to you guys as to which colour you personally use. I've been on the fence (swaying rather a lot) about which colour to make the default. For logged-in users it will be whatever colour they pick, but I know we have a large number of lurkers, so I will be looking to try and set their colour preference via a cookie.

I'm still tempted to make the default theme the light one as I think it's more inviting to new users who arrive to read a specific article, and less "moody" than the dark one, but I am concerned about annoying our current users who would have to select the dark theme as their preference.

I suppose one option is to make dark the default for all current members. For the "lurkers" - a few months before the launch, I could simply use a cookie to set dark as the default so that that's their default when the new design is launched.

(By "lurkers" I mean those folks who read the forums but don't log in or sign up for an account, of which there are quite a few and they are as welcome here as anyone else :) If you're in that group and have a comment on this thread then you can get in touch with me via the Contact Us page).

For the lurkers, the only problem is that cookies eventually expire and if you're not logged in then you will see whatever the default skin is. So if the default is light and you select dark (or the other way around) then it will switch back whenever your cookie expires or is deleted by you. Te only sure-fire way to get the colour scheme you want is to sign up for an account I'm afraid - you can log in and remain anonymous though so people can't see you're logged in, and we don't pass on any details to anyone. We're quite proud that over the years we've not really advertised on the site and that we're not affiliated with any company :)

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

The general use of the forum seems fine to me, however load times of pages here and on Ufopaedia seem much slower than usual. At least, compared to other websites I visit. Might just be a general net infrastructure thing between me and the server.

- NKF

I noticed exceptionally long page load times over the last few days at this site and Ufopaedia too. Today seems a lot better than this past week though. If it gets any worse I'll prod Pete a bit to see if the hosts are doing anything about it. ;)

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Yeah, I got that too, been trying to post something for a couple of days now. First attempt I lost it and just logged out and left because I wasn't typing that again. At least this attempt I saved it to a txt file before hitting post. :P

I had a look in the admin panel the other day. All the permissions for posting were fine. The only issue I saw was that our license key for the forum software is missing, though I think it has been like that for a while so that shouldn't be causing any trouble. I'm only privy to the forum software side though, and I'm guessing this issue is a hosting hiccup. Probably will have to awaken the sleeping beast Pete. wink.png

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...