#41 Stun Grenade

Stun Grenade

Keeping Mega-Primus safe since 2080

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:30 AM

Nice work Pete!

I totally agree with NKF. I hate reading Zombie's long posts now becuase my eyes just get too sore! Probably the fact that it is a black background, that I can see reflections which kills me! Maybe have a lighter theme and/or a darker theme?
"The Stun Grenade can be used to stun targets within a small area for a brief time. Larger Aliens may need weakening before they can be stunned."

#42 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:14 AM

Hehe Kernel, I said "not a bad idea" but that's not the same as me actually doing it - at least not yet.

There's a lot of re-organisation that needs to be done with the main site menus and the forum layout here, so there's a fairly good chance that another solution will be found. Drop-downs are good when they work, but so many don't work on all browsers and take extra time to load.

NKF - some good points. Do you have to scroll across much on the forums as well as the main site? I know I fixed the width of the site to 1024x768, but forget what I did with the forums, sorry!

I'll look at tweaking the forum stylesheets, first my altering the font to match the main site (as that's a bit easier to read - could've sworn I'd already done it, oh well!) and if it's still a pain, let me know and I'll tweak the colours a bit as well.

Does anyone find the text on the main site hard to read, or is that a little easier with most of the other menus and things not being so dark?
I want to see the inside of the UFO in my avatar.

#43 Stun Grenade

Stun Grenade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:19 AM

The way we had it with x-com.co.uk was fine. Also, there was less scrolling on that forum too.

Editing to Say: Pete, you tweaked the fonts or something? Something looks a bit different...
"The Stun Grenade can be used to stun targets within a small area for a brief time. Larger Aliens may need weakening before they can be stunned."

#44 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:39 AM

The fonts have been tweaked a little, yes. Hopefully they're a little more legible now? Even I was starting to squint this morning, so I thought I'd best do something quick :blush:

EDIT: I've just changed the images at the top of the page slightly so that the whole page should fill the screen and resize if you make the window smaller.

This will eliminate and horizontal scrolling you may have found on the forums, and I'll sort out the main site to work the same shortly :)

#45 Stun Grenade

Stun Grenade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:20 AM

Excellent work :blush:

Just one critisim, any chance of making post text 1 font size larger?

#46 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:12 AM

I can go one better as per a previous (NKF's?) suggestion and add another skin with larger font size, which you will be able to choose in your My Controls area, so members can choose between the two.

I'll add it to my list :blush:

#47 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:57 PM

Okay, BRACE YOURSELVES!!!

Check this page out now: http://www.strategyc...o.uk/forumtest/

Note - press Control+F5 once loaded to empty your browser's cache or it may not look as intended.

Thoughts?

#48 Hellb0und

Hellb0und

Gollop Worshipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:43 PM

Looking good  :blush:

#49 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:12 PM

Not sure I like the pictures added at the right side of the logo. Looks good, but it's too strong compared to the rest of the forum. Besides that, nice :blush:

#50 Stefan100

Stefan100

Gone member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:35 AM

I think it is very nice, good work! :blush:
Back from the void

#51 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:24 AM

Slaughter - you just don't like that sloppy pic from Aftershock do you? :blush: :) I vaguely remember it being a death-by-club-with-nail-in offense if I used that one and so far it's gone un-punished :)

Anyway, the idea of the logo and pics was instant identification of each series (along with some general groovyness). There's still quite a few tweaks I need to make to the layout before I'll be happy with it tho, but I'll keep everyone posted...

#52 Stun Grenade

Stun Grenade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:37 AM

Yeh Slaughter, give the man a break. He puts his heart out and what does he get?
Nah just joshing you!! Looking good man!

#53 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:11 PM

Hey, I'm more than happy he's back in the game! I just have to do the same myself, as motivation is a little out at the moment :blush:

#54 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:36 PM

A week full of alcohol and hangovers (and *ahem* other stuff) would get any man down for a week or two :)

(If only because the alcohol's stopped flowing :blush:).

Really though, we wouldn't have gotten this far without Slaughter. I'd still be pottering about with just my X-COM site and dreaming lazily (and I do mean lazily) of bigger and better things :)

#55 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:40 PM

Aftershock is getting close, so I'll be in action again soon enough. It's just the combination of hung over and quite a bit of catching up to do here that is hard :). Oh, and that other stuff :blush:

#56 Stun Grenade

Stun Grenade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:49 AM

Man I wish I knew what this other stuff is.....

#57 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:10 AM

Trust me, you really don't want to know about the other "stuff". My stomach turns just  thinking about it.  :bad:  :)

Looking good Pete! My eyes must be better now that I increased the size of the fonts (via my browser) and the brightness (via my monitor). All kinds of new things are popping up every day. Kudos!  :blush:

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#58 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:40 AM

Nearly there - I solved the "problem" with lots of subforums and moderators being listed making the screen look cramped. Head over to the test forums and look to the right of the forum titles, then roll your mouse over the "Moderator" and "Subforums" links to bring up the list.

Clicking on them will take you to logical places - a moderator list, and into the forum where you can see the subforums :blush:

Works fine on IE, Firefox, Mozilla, but not sure about Opera. Not to be nasty to Opera users, but if it doesn't work, then you can still click on the links at the very least whilst the other 99.995% of us can see the hover as well :)

Oooh, and it's not javascript either, so should work if you've got javascript turned off.

Will tweak the background colours and fonts a little and that's as much as I'm going to do to it.

#59 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:00 PM

Looking good mate! I can see the popup when I hover over moderators and subforums with Opera, but they disappear again before I can get my pointer over there...

#60 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:10 PM

That's the one limitation - you can't click on those - it's only a "popup" (not really a popup at allas it's done with CSS) to tell you what's there when you click on the title - eitehr "Subforums" or "Moderators". The popup bit isn't meant to be clicked on.

However, the solution apparently works across all browsers. Thanks for testing! :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users