Feedback on StrategyCore

Slaughter

Check to make sure your hardware acceleration is turned all the way up. My computer doesn't scroll pages if it is turned off - it makes jumps like you said. IE tends to do a better job of smooth scrolling than FF does too. If neither of these fix the issue, I don't know what else to suggest. :D

- Zombie

You mean the files section here: www.strategycore.co.uk/files ?

Yes.

Check to make sure your hardware acceleration is turned all the way up.

I don't remember where it is.

IE tends to do a better job of smooth scrolling than FF does too.

Maybe that comes from a new version of Firefox?

I don't remember where it is.

Right click on your desktop, click on Properties and it should bring up the "Display Properties" pane. Click on the Settings tab, then click on the Advanced button. This should bring up your monitor properties pane and there should be a Troubleshoot tab somewhere. Click on that and move the slider all the way to the right. Click on Apply and you should be good to go. This is for an XP system, a Vista or Win7 system will probably be different. :D

If your hardware acceleration is all the way on, then it's probably your browsers fault. Have you tried Internet Explorer to rule this out? Firefox is bloatware in XP and there may be memory leaks in it IMHO. If you can't/won't use IE, close down Firefox completely, restart your computer and start up Firefox again to see if that changes anything. :)

- Zombie

I try from the computer at office, where I meet same problem as at home:

"Display Properties" Troubleshoot tab. Click on that and move the slider all the way to the right.

That was already all to the right.

Have you tried Internet Explorer to rule this out?

There is I.E. 7, and I even can't open the https://www.strategycore.co.uk main page with..

• 1 year later...

...Hey, Pete? I'm getting a weird..thing, here. It's not really a bug I guess, but...

Well, normally if I click on the 'posts' button on the bar up top(points like an idiot) and there's no new posts; when it gives me the 'post search error-if checking for posts since your last visit yadda yadda yadda', it NORMALLY resets the post count to 0.

But right now it's giving me the 'no new posts' 'error', but is keeping the same post count on the bar. o.O

Not really a problem I GUESS, but certiantly odd!

It is a random thingy - I've not fixed it and I am putting it down to this being a very old version of the forum software, so if you guys can hold on a few months with this slightly unpredictable issue then it will get fixed during a long-overdue software upgrade :P

• 3 months later...

I don't know if it's my recent move to broadband, but I've started to experience the wackiness that everyone else seems to be having with the new post page as well.

Now it gives a board error immediately on my second viewing of the page during the same browsing session.

Just putting the pressure on you Pete. :)

- NKF

Sometimes large images for me aren't inserted into 'click to enlarge' frame. Mostly due to fast edit option.

If you refresh the page with F5 the pics will shrink to fit. Still, this is not a permanent solution... This is why I started to first crop and later to heavily edit the AAR pics. Well, this and to lower the number of pics per post.

Just for info, I should be continuing work on a site redesign soon which, for several reasons too tedious to list, is a prerequisite for upgrading the forums.

Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but there will be a light design and a dark design.

The designs are more or less done (as of the middle of last year) and the bulk of the work of converting the site content to a new system ("not again" I hear you cry :)) is sorted to be honest. It's just that various other commitments like commercial website work and too many weddings last year (including mine :() have meant that work on this all got delayed.

On the bright side, when I get back on to this in maybe a month's time (hopefully less) there shouldn't be much longer to wait and the forum will be upgraded and all these problems will go away :(

I'm not going to specify a deadline as I believe the last one I mentioned to anyone was "before Christmas 2011 definitely" and that didn't happen!

Any screenies of new desgin :( ? Please?

These homepage mock-ups are to be considered a work in progress. I did have slightly more advanced versions of these before my hard drive failed last year. The main differences were that the texture in the background near the top of the main content carries on all the way down the page, and, by popular request from the site the staff, have the option of having the current site's starry background too.

Here's the light version: https://www.strategycore.co.uk/supertopsecr...f/sc-home-2.jpg

Here's the dark version: https://www.strategycore.co.uk/supertopsecr...e-dark-gold.jpg

Quite a lot could change between now (well, these are getting on for 5-6 months old) and when I finish so don't read too much into them :(

Some features include:

• Being able to choose your preferred colour scheme from the two
  • Being able to choose a preferred game image (or set of images from a particular game or game) for the top-right of the header (if no option is selected it will choose randomly from a selection I intend to put together over time)
  • Whether to have Latest Articles laid out like it is in the mock-up, or have it as a smaller list on the right and bring the news to the top instead (although I'm leaning towards making "Latest Articles" into a "Featured" section so we can choose to feature really exciting news articles, reviews and games if we like rather than having the same latest articles sit at the top until someone writes a new one).
  • ...and several more. Maybe. That's probably enough for now :)

The forums will also get a light and dark version. Since the two versions are just colour changes, it should be relatively easy to keep on top of forum updates - and the new version of the forum software is very nice now I've had a chance to really use it on another website.

The new system the site will run on is pretty cool, so once the current content is ported over and the site code is updated to link in with the vastly newer version of the forum software it'll be good to go.

Again though, no timescale I'm afraid :)

The Dark one is pretty awesome - strangely I don't think that this site should be in light well definitely not with dark header.

Also I see a strange pattern in the design - like youtube with the light version.

What do you mean when you say "strange pattern"? There is a pattern at the top of the content area in the background below the header.