X-COM MOD!!!

rasdel

Hello Everyone...i am new to the forum...and i must say...how come there is NO X-COM mod for S2??

I mean, the engine is more than better for a remake don't you think??

I would personally love to see this...since i can't make "UFO: EU" or "UFO:TFTD" work in my computer...and yes i have download the patch but it still gives me garbbled graphics...anyway is there any team out there remotely interested in this idea??? I believe it will be supported by fans...and the game would look great.

If i knew about modding i would definitelly do it but i don't...if there is a team interested and it needs help i believe there will be A LOT supporting the cause, i could draw concept art...since i am kinda good in that...

It is really weird there is no X-COM mod for Silent Storm.... :confused:

Welcome to the boards rasdel!

There were several discussions on making an X-COM mod for Silent Storm when it first came out. There were several problems with it however. First of all, it's hard to change the strategic part of the game. I don't think it's possible to make it X-COM in fact. Second, the fanbase for Silent Storm is fairly small sadly. Therefore it was hard to get a dedicated enough team together then, not to mention now! Third, Nival didn't support the modding community very much, and that sure didn't help things either. If you look around, you'll notice there aren't many total conversion for Silent Storm. In fact, there are none. Well, Hammer & Sickle, and it was turned into a full blown game.

What could be possible I believe, would be to make scenarios. Single battles, terror sites and the likes in full X-COM style. Add the aliens, weapons and equipment, and let the games begin :confused:. This would be easier to finish, and would be great fun! If you can manage to get some modders together, I am sure many here would be overjoyed to play X-COM scenarios with the S2 engine! If you browse the modding section, you'll see who's been active the last months.

Well...I understand...i mean, there are many things that would be very difficult to do...like the geoscape or the interceptor screen...but i like your idea.

I believe that an X-COM mod for S2 is entirely possible and that if done correctly it could be an excelent game. I am going to explanig how it could be done...

First, as the engine is different and some thing cannot be achieved some things would be missing :grr: . One of the main differences with X-COM and S2 is that X-COM has a wider gameplay. S2 is more based on combat tactics instead of base managment and everything else X-COM has to offer. So, the Mod, would be based in combat tactics and a little of RPG just like S2 (but this isn't really that bad).

One way to avoid the geoscape and interceptor screen would be that the game could take place before the first X-COM. I know this sounds crazy but read on :borg: ...

The alien threat has recently been spotted and a new multinational organization has been created...called "X-COM"...this would be the first days of the facility therefore, many things like interceptos and other technologies are not in the picture.

The idea is that your Squad (the main team) is gonna be the "old-school" X-COM opperatives. This guys are ELITE, they are the BEST of the BEST of the FEW of the PROUD, so you won't have 14 of them...it would be a small squad (like S2) even though i hope there is a way to increase the number maybe to (8 or 10). Basically this guys are gonna receive orders just like in S2 and they will travel around europe (no need for the glove, specially since the "technology" is not as good yet and in this way the Developers would avoid the pain of redoing the whole map). The gameplay would be just like S2 where you get Main Objectives (the ones that move the story plot), Secondary Objectives (just for extra fun), and random encounters (just for more XP). The MAIN difference with X-COM would be that the game would be more RPG oriented since you would NOT be able to just keep recruiting soldiers, and you will most probably only play with "one team" (just like S2). One thing that must be changed is to remove the class skills so every soldier can be developed as the player wants, there is no need of classes everyone should be the same just like in X-COM (even though this is my idea, and maybe some classes would not hurt...that should be discussed). The MOD should KEEP the possibility to allocate the ability points as the player desires (your character get a level and YOU decide where those points are going) in this way the player can make a team suiting his/her strategy. Instead of the Laboratry, new weapons and upgrades could appear as the story progresses. Just like in S2, some weapons (alien ones, in S2 this are the ones in the German side) are not gonna be produced by the players side (they must be collected) but the one's from the player side could appear in the base "storage" (the number of each weapon type would be the same of the team characters, ex: if a team consists of 10 characters, there would be 10 "units" of every weapon type in the storage). The Panzerklein could be used as the armor (just gotta make it look more like and armor and not like a walking tank), the player will be able to access this after completing certain missions. Unlike the Plazerklein the armor would act just like an armor the character will be able to move as freely as before, but he would be a lot harder to kill (of course this would mean that there will only be one time of armor and not 2 like previous games). The Panzerklein weapons should be disable so that any weapon can be used by any soldier wearing armor or not. Another feature that could look cool, would be that the teams moves in a vehicle (maybe a van, like a swat team :confused: ) and when the combat screen is loaded they gotta get out (just like previous X-COM games). This van should also be shown in the camping screen ( this would give a pretty good look to the game, explainig that they ARE NOT WALKING ALL OVER EUROPE). Now, the question MOST people will ask themselves is...."in S2 there are 2 sides Allies and Axies, wouldn't it be cool to be able to use Humans and Aliens?"...and my answer is HELL NO!, even though the idea is tempting i believe this would be a BIG mistake. Playing the aliens could be really stupid since they don't really need to save anyone or anything just destroy (so the gamplay woudl be affected since some maps could work and some not, remember there is a random map generator). This could mess up the story, so maybe it could be possible if the MOD would have a Multiplayer capacity so the one player is the X-COM side and the otherone is the Alien side (that would be VERY INTERESTING INDEAD) maybe they coudl choose the map they wanna battle (terror site, base attack, abduction) and each map could have their own goals for each side (i am really dreaming here!!!)

I believe that with this changes and some other obvious ones (new character/foes models/skins, weapons models/skins, total base makeover (even though the german base could work), etc. I believe it would be an amazing mod...and I would like to help....i know the S2 fans may not really wanna help but what about X-COM ones??? I believe we could get A LOT OF HELP if we ask them...

I actually am working on a concept theme (a lot better explain than this right here, this is just the preview), i could share it with the "team" that would make themselves responsable for this GREAT MOD...and as i said before i WOULD LIKE TO HELP! I don't have MUCH skills but i learn REALLY FAST and i will be willing to do it for an X-COM FEEL for S2!

n_i_c_e :confused:

MORE MOBS( ets, mutants and all kind of horror freaks ) AND MERCS( spacesuits, this day uniforms and all kind of cool looking wearings ) TO SSs! Who has that MAYA? :sad: ...and is 'ready to play around'? ...for good use :grr: .

...and yes. I know Night Watch (n_i_c_e).

I was honestly wating for more replies...it's weird that no one has anything to comment about this. I know that S2 is not so modder friendly, but i believe my idea is totally doable, after all there not much to change. It's basically making a good story, models/skins, and some new stuff...

There are few active Silent Storm modders here rasdel, and you're being a little impatient :confused:. Most of the Silent Storm modders doesn't visit very frequently. Well, not posting frequently at least. You can see what they are working on here. Not sure all of them are still working on their projects, but we can hope.

Anyway, if you wish to get a mod like this going, YOU need to take initiative. Making a mod is a lot of work, and to actually get something produced you need a team of dedicated people. Only way to get that is to post about this wherever there are X-COM and Silent Storm fans.

As for your idea, it sound like fun. Just make sure you start in the small, with fairly simple things. Most mods die after a few concepts and models have been produced, if they get that far. Set small goals, like changing the skin of a few soldiers, and work your way up. Send Private Messages to people that know how to mod the game, and you might get a few to join. Don't expect it to happen overnight though, as you'll end up very disappointed that way.

I'd just like to chime in: that a mod can take a long long time. Making a few levels and scripting them may sound easy, but if you want quality and originality it can take days and days of tweaking after you think that a map is done before you are totally done with it. Also the s2 / s3 editor makes it hard for people to work on a mod together- you can't easily move templates (what the maps are in ss/sss) from one mod's database to another. You can work on the same database if everyone is on the same network, but seeing as how ss madders are (few and) far between - that probably wont happen.

I agree with slaughter that you need to take the initiative and get the ball rolling - I think that getting the alien models + skins would be a good place to start. Once the models are made (which would be done in maya and lots of people know/use it) some ss modders (with out current projects) would probably get excited and actually start putting the hours in.

-good luck

-vs

Ok, thanx guys...I think that i'll have to start posting all right. Right now i do not have much time in my hands, I can only grab some time and start making concepts like drawings and story. I am not familiarize with Maya, nor the SS Editor which looks really hard. I guess I'll start looking for some tutorials on how to use the Editor (if there are any) start making some alien/trooper/terrain concepts, somewhere along this days/months. Once i am done, I guess i could start showing the idea, and maybe as you say some people may join, thanks for the advice :confused: .

Is not that i am impatient (even though it looks like after i read my own posts) is just that i see A LOT of potencial in this idea, and I know it's hard to make a mod, since i have mod before, but not for SS (since the editor looks SO hard :grr: ). Well, i guess i'll start making some conecept art and hope for some people to join...thanks agan :borg:

Yes, the idea has a lot of potential! It's just that so many great ideas never make it past that stage :confused:. Anyway, do as you say, and check this forum and the official Nival forum to see if you can find a tutorial or two. Good luck, and keep us posted! :grr:

• 1 month later...
rasdel, you have good ideas. I was thinking about an X-COM tc for s² before i even had it running, so i totally love that someone else is enthusiastic about it. I first got X-COM in 7th grade, and still play from time to time [under windows XP, no less. I believe the patch only works on gold edition, hopefully you haven't already tried this], and think it's still one of the great games of all time. As far as the tc I dream of goes, I have absolutely no idea how to bring it about, as s² doesn't seem to have anything resembling the geoscape or base / research / supplies screens. Perhaps those could be run as game levels, like the way you recruit and re-arm between missions in s², or whatever, I don't know. Anyhow, if you really want to make a run at it, count me in. I don't really have much in the way of modding experience, only a couple of starcraft levels/ICE script mods and stuff like that [nothing to write home about, anyhow], but nonetheless, I have been waiting for a re-make of X-COM for about 8 years now and if I could find some way to make myself usefull, that would be really sweet. Right, so if you get something started, give me a shout. Later

:blush::) :mad:

One thing is for sure - Nival will NEVER get me of their back now!!! I'm going to plague them and Atari with questions about a new X-COM game until they falter!!! :)

Mind if I post this on the front page? I'd like to make sure I'm not the only one mentioning I like it!