Reentering Zones

vs322

Reentering Zones

So I am trying to make a town in the Sentinels mod that I am working on and I want it to be re-enter-able. This is the way I have the 'enable feature' set up:

function OnExit()
       ShowLeaveZoneDialog(16837)
       local resp=GetLastDialogResult()
       if resp==1 then
               EnableFeature("reenter")
               ExitToChapter()
       end
end

(string 16837 is the standard leave zone dialog)

...but it dose not work- The zone turns into the pin icon in the chapter map and you can't re-enter it. I have also tried unsung 'EnableFeature("reenter")' as part of the OnEnterZone function.

any ideas, or success stories, about re-entering zones?

-vs

So some progress on making reenter -able zones: The EnableFeature("reenter") should be placed in the OnEnterZone function. If it is just floating around the script somewhere it may cause a crash, and it seems to be the command that triggers looking for a 'zone save' (which is how the info is stored on the zone). I have not solved the problem of the zone turning to the pin icon on the chapter map, but if you use a BeginZone command to start the zone that you have enabled reentering on it is all as you left it (people dead that you killed- items dropped etc.).

I thought that maybe the ScenarioOpenZone function would be helpful. But it is not a real command- it is in the editors documentation and in the key words file, but it is NOT recognized by the game! go figure.

There are many ways to work around this- like a travel hub in the base -some dialogue that lets you choose where you want to go... something like that.

So now the problem is getting the zone Icon to stay a question mark on the chapter maps -any ideas?

-vs

'Easy' way to create a mission in orginal game (S3) is make scenario block(no block number), scenariozone and sector in chapter and while playing open console and write ScenarioAddVisibleZone( "MyZoneName" ). Game opens your zone as ?-icon.

Sentinels doesn't use ScenarioOpenZone() or any clue commands. Those are for S2. TakeZone() command opens next mission in current block.

Maybe that script would work for re-entering... or not (are all like before when player exit zone or will the game start zone from orginal template). My small_mod will have re-enterzones in second version not in 1. (v01betademod :mad: ). I will get back then. Sun.

Um,

I'm not having a problem with getting a mission to show up / create a mission in the first place- That is not the issue at all. I can get the ?-icon and enter and leave the zone, but it turns into a pin icon (indicating that you cannot reenter the zone).

I was thinking that ScenarioOpenZone() might 'open' a zone that has already been completed / entered and exited, but now I know why that doesn't work.

And the script works- if you put EnableFeature("reenter") inside of your OnEnterZone function (as I said above.) Everything in the template is just like you left it- people you killed are dead items you took are gone etc. (just like going back and forth between templates using passage objects (which actually is implemented the same way: by creating a savefile tagged to that template, this is also how the base works.))

What I have set up now is a chapter map with just my re-enterable zone on it- When the player enters that chapter map from the global map a script checks a global variable to see if they entered from the global map; if they did it calls BeginZone() and the re-enter-able zone starts. In the script for that zone it sets the same global variable so that when they leave the zone to the chapter map it does not just have them start the zone again. The problem with this method it that the player needs to go back to the global map and then back to the region map to re-enter the zone. I can't find a way to jump from the chapter map to the global map right away.

-vs

Well, have you tried ScenarioAddVisibleZone("ChapterBase") command after mission in OnRealExit() function That might open ?-icon to be re-entertable if that is what you want.

If your 'ChapterBase' includes BeginZone() commands then try to place SAVZ() command right before (or after) those. So then the zone might left open. (?unsure?) Or place command in chaptermap script which opens zone everytime when player enters to chapter from missionzone and specific gamevariant or blockorder is on.

Hard to tell because I haven't tried that and I don't know what are you looking for...'one zone chapter'...or what?

The one Zone chapter is just an idea, but it has the nice side effect that I get to put an icon for my town on the global map. Not sure what you mean by 'chapter base' do you mean the 'scenario base'? When I say 'chapter map' I just mean a 'region map'- all that's on it is my town(the zone I want to be re-enter-able) and an exit zone.

-what is it that ScenarioAddVisibleZone("ChapterBase") would do?

I've tried calling ScenarioAddVisibleZone() for zones that have already been entered + exited, it dose not change them back to ?-icons, so I don't know if that would work.

-thanks though

vs

An idea...

If you make globalMap as a town and regionMaps as town parts( inner cities, parks, factory areas, market place, railway area, old mines, natures, sub-urbans, etc ). so then the scenarioBase could be like a big towncenter and work as simple re-entertable zone where players can get missions, heal, stuff and select what kind of 'jobs' they want do. There could be many NPC-characters which change dialogs after player has completed specificVariants or missionBlocks (RPG-elements: players can select their side or employers).

If you want to do zones where players can damage and destroy places to pieces and then after while re-enter to zone for new objectives( defend, secure, find etc ) player could launch those in 'a big towncenter' dialogs with BeginZone() command.

Is it too small :confused: background for a game? I think even that would take lots of work. I have not tried to make subZones in base templateZone.... I just wonder if those works like base in game... then you could do a bigger(huge) DowntownBase... nice piece of :grr:.

-Sauna, 'six-pack' and warm lake make koMik a very relaxed (lazy) boy- :takecare:

ya, your town center idea is what I'm working with- different mission givers + shops etc. There are also faction inside the town and what missions you take may cut off different mission trees. But I have also made a base, just a shack in the desert actually-

anyway- the player doesn't get access to the town right away so I can't have it be the base map.

I've been working around the re-entering problem and just pushing ahead with the texturing / scripting / mapping for now-- I'll get back to it soon though.

I'm getting pretty far into the mod- right now it's called 'sandy wastes' and it's a post apocalyptic / desert / survival sort of thing (big influences are: movies: 'a boy and his dog', 'blood of heroes', 'hardware', 'mad max' (no cars though, but fighting over gas) games: 'wasteland' 'fallout'; It's not faithful to any of them, I'm working on a back story and overarching plot still... I'll post some picks soon)

There's a church controlling the 'ancient' technology- lots of scavengers fighting over mettle - riders praying on the small settlements that have sprung up - and a secret underground order of....

-well, thanks for the ideas-

vs

• 4 weeks later...