XCOM Apoc Buffers - WTF?!

GIR-101

The installer may complain about the files and buffers, but the most important bit is: Does it stop you from installing the game? If not, install away - it'll probably even complain about your cd-rom, but that's only because the program was built to handle cd-roms with slower seek times.

Also the config.sys file in your root directory is vestigial and won't have any effect.

Edit the windows\system32\config.nt file instead, there's also an autoexec.nt file in there as well if you need to mess around with it.

The only important setting would be FILES. I'd recommend setting that to 40 and buffers to 40 if you want to set that anyway. I was able to install Apoc on my XP machine with 0 buffers. Getting it to run on the other hand is another matter entirely.

- NKF

You'll have to look for the system32 directory under the folder where Windows XP is installed on your C: drive. On the computer I'm using now, Windows is stored under Windows - on my slightly older second-hand computer it's under Windows.000 for some very odd reason, it could be named something else on your computer.

I installed the game with the same lack of buffers on that computer and it installed and runs fine too. It didn't want to run when the files weren't set, but after setting them it runs like a charm.

In your case, if you managed to install it, then you'll have installed it just fine. The game itself is what's refusing to run.

Follow the link pointed to by Blehm - you may have to register to use the forum (if you haven't), but it seems a lot of people with XP issues are able to solve their problem this way. I haven't tried it myself, but as I have a similar XP problem, I should give it a try some day.

- NKF

Config.nt has both buffers and files listed at 40, so i'm thinking maybe buffers has to 0 for it to work

and even when buffers was set to 0 it didn't work

my computer is stupid for some reason, dosbox doesn't work, vdm sound doesn't work, the only thing that works is xcom3fix and that doesn't like sound, unless i want bitty sound which i do not