War of the worlds

Hobbes

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the original sound track somewhere...... brought up listening to it on long car journeys..... as a five year old i didnt understand it, but the music was so expressive even i could pck up the lulls and rushes. It is EXTREAMLY cool.

bet the films gonna ruin it...though im hopeful it wont.

you shoudl i recomend it !!! havent listened to the cd...my dads tape just plays the whole lot begingin to end wiht brides between each of the differnt pieces. its one long piece and its REALLY fab. im sure the cd is good too! :confused:

I brought the CD in the mid 90s, and I still love it. Richard Burton was at his best in Forever Autumn. I also liked the song based on the dialogue between the narrator and the artilleryman when he explains his vision of people surviving underground and playing each other at cricket until we find a way to beat the Martians.

I hate it when a movie I'd like to see is under 15. In fact, I prefer them being 18 (though there aren't many these days). In the city I live in, if you were to do something as stupid as going before 21:00, you'll get your movie experience ruined. Lots of people talking loudly through the entire movie. And not only that, where I live they have this retarded habit of applauding when there is a good scene or something!!! I don't hate people under 15 or anything, but the talking thing is typically a problem with them. I've yelled at a few of them, but that doesn't help much, and ticket men do nothing :confused:

Exactly. And mobile phones! AAAAARGH! I swear to God, you should have to check them in at the ticket desk or something, because despite about ten notices before the film, someone always leaves theirs on and you know it rings during a really good/important scene and quite frankly I want to strangle them with their own intestines.

I know I was a little bastard when I was younger, but I went to the cinema to watch films, not talk!

I'd be quite happy to leave my mobile at the desk, as I turn it off during cinema visits anyway. But yes, it's become fraught with danger, lately.

"Alright Munter? Yeah! Yeah! Nah, I'm in the cinema, mate! Watching a film! Yeah! Nah, it's really good"

*RED MIST DESCENDS*

let us know how bad it is on a scale of one to ten! one being bad- ten being 'slit your wrists' bad. okies? :grr: im gonna avoid it, i dont want to ruin whats in my head!  :confused:

Use stars! (Note, below is only an example, I haven't seen it yet myself)

+1 star actually felt foreboding

-1 star Cruise remains expressionless

+1 star good use of tripods

+1 star good use of tentacles

-1 star inappropriate shower scene

-1 star unbelievable lack of basic strategic thinking by military

-2 stars latest boy band music used because they're in the charts, ruining atmosphere

-1 star inappropriate use of plucky kids/pets saving day

Yours till the elders wake,

JFG

Trouble with the critics complaining about the violence is that all the feral 12 and 13 year olds will pack the cinema so they can see what the fuss is about. I can see them now, swinging their (stolen) bicycle chains and mugging somebody for the ticket money. Well I'm currently constructing a Martian heat ray in my gararge. First hooded teenager I see gets vaporised!!!

Talking of violence, has anyone else seen the late 1980s series?

-1 star inappropriate shower scene

Why are shower scenes inappropriate? In my rating system for bad movies shower scenes are one of the variables. It somewhat works like this:

Less than OK movies: bad plot, 3rd rate actors, impossibilities that defy common sense, nothing better to watch or do, some sex but only enough to briefly caught your attention and yawn afterwards.

Bad movies: good story flushed down the toilet in the theatrical version, multimillion dollar superstars pretending to be acting, people clapping on the theatre when the last alien ship is destroyed.

Horrible movies: no shower scenes.

Hmmm...maybe i have a fixation with shower scenes.

I saw it. And I like it.

I hated the 1950s version because it failed to follow the book completely.

The modern version takes a turn for the unlikely by following the book a hell of a lot more. (ALthough modernizing some aspects since we have things nowadays that didn't exist in the 1800s. >_< )

I recommend it if you read the book and are expecting things akin to the book. If you are expecting something similar to the old movie... Forget the movie and read the book. 10 times better. :confused:

i hate it when they shoe horn in a scene in a state of undress just becaue pervy little ten year olds will wanna see it then! *rolls eyes* (like the second martix film, i robot ect... no one shoudl have to see that much of will msith :grr:)

the star/points system is good...hope you dont have th esame system for potential girl/boy frineds!!! :confused:

oh-and tom cruise......what do people see in him!? this is the PERFECT film for him, becaue if you angle the camera upwards slighty it makes people appea\r taller...perfect for tommy with those big old alins behind him! :borg: