215 replies to this topic

#1 Solitaire

Solitaire

Tra la la

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:58 AM

Do you people have a music topic? I can't find one and it seems strange.

Just tell everyone what bands you like, maybe post pictures if you have them.

Personally I'm a big Jrock fan, my favourites being Malice+Mizer, Dir En Grey, Moi Dix Mois, I also like more techno outfits like Schwarz Stein and although lots and lots of Mana fans consider him a bit of traitor (since he went from the whole Gothic Aristocrat look and style, to pop music almost overnight) I can't stop loving Gackt!

picture:

Posted Image

Mana^

Pretty, isn't he?
Yes it's a man!
A very old picture, he dresses in a very gothic style now, he doesn't always dress like a girl (sadly) though he never looks explicitly male, which i like, he also hadly ever speaks in public and he never sings - he just writes all the music for his group (Moi Dix Mois and Malice+Mizer before that) and plays some of the instruments (usually Guitar, but also Violin, Harp, and a few others)

Well anyway, those are my favourite artists, with Mana being my all time most beloved. i'd like to hear about some of yours.
user posted image
Love Mana, Mana is your God.

#2 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, we should have a music topic. And in addition, I guess I should make the introduction thread a sticky.

Regarding your music, I don't think I've heard of either. Are there samples on the Internet? I prefer metal and black metal. Here's a list:

- Bon Jovi
- Dimmu Borgir (Black Metal)
- DAD (Disneyland After Dark)
- Guns N' Roses
- Immortal (Black Metal)
- In Flames (Death Metal)
- Iron Maiden
- Kiss
- Manowar
- Metallica
- Moonspell
- Paradise Lost
- Rainmakers
- Many others

#3 Solitaire

Solitaire

Tra la la

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:33 PM

There are places if you do a Google or altavista (my personal favourite) mp3 search for any of the bands you'll come up with somethign eventually, or, failing that, you can give me a shout on MSN at Jainzar@hotmail.co.uk and I'll send you a few.

Seeing as you like metal and that sort of thign I presume you've heard of Nightwish, The Trooper and bands like that?

http://www.midi-nett...ex_english.html
That's the Moi Dix Mois website. i suggest you let the into load up and play as it contains a short sample of the intro from a track caled Shadows Temple which gives a good indicator as to their style of music.

It's a pretty stingy site to be honest, not much there. Members Voice is the only reason I go there every couple of days in the vain hope of an update on the project (It's Mana's own personal thing, he's the only permanent member of Moi Dix Mois, so it's refered to as a project rather than a band) the vocalist Juka recently left so it's looking like there won't be any releases for a while ;)
user posted image

#4 Accounting Troll

Accounting Troll

Bridge troll

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:47 PM

I suddenly feel very old.

I like some classical music, particularly Sibelius and JS Bach, and I also like Petula Clark (She's been singing since 1941), Abba, Enigma, and some of the modern trance stuff.

#5 Solitaire

Solitaire

Tra la la

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:37 PM

i listen to Classic FM quite a lot, but I couldn't point out many pieces and say i know who they're by.

I should aslo chip in and say I love Nightwish, AFI, Spineshank, ArchEnemy, Motorhead (waarrggh), Children of Bodom, Girl'e, Maternow, Isola. In fact.. i'll listen to almost anything.

Posted Image
another picture of Mana, for no other reason than that I want to steal a pair of ovaries and have his babies. oO This picture is much more up to date.
user posted image

#6 FullAuto

FullAuto

Catching the next pimpmobile outta here!

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:00 PM

Can't be arsed with links!  Suffice to say, I like pretty much every musical genre there is.  Some of my favourites are Motorhead, the Chemical Brothers, the Hives, Beethoven, Bonny Prince Billy, Jurassic 5, the Rolling Stones, 80's Matchbox B-line Disaster, the Roots, Bob Marley, the Kills, the Zutons, Slayer, the Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra...almost anything.

Erfworld - the finest comic about turn-based gaming ever.

#7 Solitaire

Solitaire

Tra la la

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:09 PM

lol I was just listening to Ace of Spades as I read that! ;)
user posted image

#8 FullAuto

FullAuto

Catching the next pimpmobile outta here!

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:12 PM

Music of kings.  Been listening to them since I was knee high to a grasshopper and other such phrases.  Still haven't seen them live though...

Erfworld - the finest comic about turn-based gaming ever.

#9 shagpuss

shagpuss

Acolyte of the Free Pie Front

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:43 PM

Its Hip-Hop mainly for me, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Cypress Hill, Basement Jaxx and Chemical Brothers  ;)
Burnt Face Man

Weeble & Bob

"A to the MuthFu***** K homeboy" Cypress Hill:Black Sunday

#10 Solitaire

Solitaire

Tra la la

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:11 PM

I f*cking love Basement Jaxx, there was an advert on TV recently for a compilation album of all their best stuff, I couldn't believe it, they've never released a bad track.
user posted image

#11 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:32 AM

I like orchestral, ambience, and a lot of movie/game soundtracks. Mainly because I honestly can't stand any music with lyrics.

*Will undoubtedly be scolded now*
Strong Bob's random Star Trek quote of the year:

*Scans rock* "It's dead, Jim." - McCoy

"Very funny, Bones." - Kirk

#12 Solitaire

Solitaire

Tra la la

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:37 AM

I enjoy the Shenmue soundtrack, FF ones are good too, but that's about it for me oh the Lord of The Rings soundtrack was amazing.
user posted image

#13 Stun Grenade

Stun Grenade

Keeping Mega-Primus safe since 2080

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:07 AM

My favourite band is Jethro Tull. But I like Zep aswell.
"The Stun Grenade can be used to stun targets within a small area for a brief time. Larger Aliens may need weakening before they can be stunned."

#14 Harkov

Harkov

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:37 PM

www.audioscrobbler.com/user/Harkov
sort of describes my taste in music.

#15 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:39 PM

Some nice music there Harkov. Like the punk, Metallica and so on. Oh, and neat charts! Some sort of plugin or something?

#16 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 12:12 PM

I'm very much a misc kinda guy...

I tend to link music with stuff I like. I love the song Blue, for example, if only cause my brother kept playing it while I played Bomberman 64... Need I mention that I've got X-Com tunes in my playlist?

The artist who takes the biggest chunk of my playlist is JD Harding, with his bunch of remixes and originals. None lyrical stuff for the most part - the way I like it.

You just can't program with someone yelling in your ear.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#17 Solitaire

Solitaire

Tra la la

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 01:14 PM

Here;s a slightly less... fanboyish site about Malice Mizer

http://www.projectj.net/malice.htm

very informative without spiralling into perversion and lust, as i'm wont to do when talking about Mana.

http://www.azurereflection.net/jrock/

and here ^ is a site where you can download MM (and many other Jrock tracks) that are no longer available, which is legal, I believe.

(right click, save target as... you know the drill.)
user posted image

#18 Harkov

Harkov

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:42 AM

Slaughter, on May 27 2005, 10:39 PM, said:

Some nice music there Harkov. Like the punk, Metallica and so on. Oh, and neat charts! Some sort of plugin or something?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thnx, yep the audioscrobbler plugin. They have one for most of the popular music players.
The best part of it is that they advise you on what other artists you might like by looking at the profiles of people who listen to the same bands as you, and see what other bands they like.

edit: A less attractive aspect of it that some music that I don't want other people to see I listen to (see ashlee simpson in my weekly track list) shows up too ;)

#19 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:33 PM

Harkov, on May 29 2005, 11:42 AM, said:

thnx, yep the audioscrobbler plugin. They have one for most of the popular music players.
The best part of it is that they advise you on what other artists you might like by looking at the profiles of people who listen to the same bands as you, and see what other bands they like.

edit: A less attractive aspect of it that some music that I don't want other people to see I listen to (see ashlee simpson in my weekly track list) shows up too :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

;)

Yeah, I imagine that can be embarrassing. But I guess you had to come out of the closet at some point anyway, so... :)

I might download that plugin. We'll see. I guess it relies on the ID3 tags being correct then?

#20 Harkov

Harkov

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:45 PM

Correct ID3 tags are nice, although audioscrobbler has a system for correcting misspelled artist names. I don't know if they are allowing signups at the moment though, there have been some database problems lately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users