Invasion2021: Last Line of Defense

StarikLesovik

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi StarikLesovik

Welcome to the boards! I checked out your site, and didn't understand anything ;). The screenshots looked nice though! Could you provide a description of the project, and a status report on how far along you are? Thanks! :)

Oh, and you can find the project site here folks.

Cool! ;) We would be interested in adding a section in the projects section, like the one we have for UFO:ET, if you would provide us with the information and so on. I might have someone that could help a little with translation as well by the way, if needed.

Sorry, forgot to add the news. I've been really busy lately.

@Muu: It is Russian only so far, but I just played it and had little trouble understanding the controls. Download it and give it a try. They'll translate it to English soon though.

Slaughter

please remove old screenshots (less than 0.2.9 version) from news. and add new. you can snap it using "PrintScreen"-key on you keyboard and than take it from clipboard into paint or another gfx-editor.

I'll do it tomorrow. Too tired now :confused:

How do you end a turn? I tried pressing Space and Enter.

Here's an English translation of the readme included with the game:

Invasion 2021: Last Line of Defense

Tactical battle (version 0.2.91)

1. INSTALLATION

In order to set up the game, it is necessary for you to unpack the installation archive. The resulting directory will contain the game's executable and data files.

2. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

These are the minimum system requirements (with permission from 800kh'00) with which the game has been tested. It is possible that the game will work on other systems, but it is not guaranteed.

Operating system: Windows xp/2000

Processor: Pentium THE III 700Mhz

Memory: 128Mb

Videocard: DirectX 8.1 compatible

List of thoroughly tested videocards:

GeForce2MX400, GeForceFX5200, GeForce FX5600,

ATI Radeon 9550, ATI Radeon 9600 pro

3. CONFIGURATION AND STARTUP

Before starting the game it is necessary to configure your video card. We have provided the file "option.exe" for this purpose. After configuring the game using this program, the tuning file "invasion.cfg" will appear in the game directory. Once this is done, it is possible to start the game using "i2021.exe".

4. PLAYING THE GAME

CONTROLLING YOUR UNITS:

Unit actions are divided into three categories, or modes: Movement, Shooting, and Aiming.

Movement is the most basic mode. When a unit is selected, the game automatically switches to this mode. Movement is accomplished by selecting a point on the map and pressing the left mouse button.

Shooting allows you to use your weapons to fire upon the enemy or an arbitrary point. It is characterized by a red cursor, in the form of a crosshair, that will begin blinking when held over an enemy unit. The Shooting mode is activated by selecting a weapon (by clicking on its picture using your left mouse button) from one of the held-weapon slots in your unit's panel. Weapons can be fired in one of several ways (single, short and long bursts), that can be changed by repeatedly clicking on the weapon's picture. The current firing mode is displayed as a small icon over the picture of your unit's weapon. You fire your weapon by moving your cursor over an enemy unit, or holding your cursor over a terrain tile for a second, and pressing the left mouse button.

Aiming is done concurrently with Shooting, and is characterized by the appearance of statistical information (probability-to-hit ratios and action-point expenditures) within the cursor-sight. The Aiming mode is activated from within the Shooting mode when you guide your cursor over an enemy unit. It is also done automatically when you hold your cursor over a terrain tile for a second. It is deactivated by moving your cursor to something other than your target.

ENDING YOUR TURN:

You end your turn by pressing the icon in the lower-left corner of the unit panel that looks like an "x".

HOT KEYS:

Arrow Keys - scroll the camera

A - rotate the camera clockwise

D - rotate the camera counter-clockwise

N - select the next unit

C - center on the active unit

S - display information about the active unit

O - display the options screen

5. CONTACT INFORMATION

Forum: https://i2021.release.ru/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi

Email: i2021@yandex.ru

I'll try and fix it up over the next couple of days.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, from all the projects out there this is BY FAR the one i liked the MOST! I mean, the X-COM opperatives look amazing and the aliens too!...to bad it's only in russian for know, i guess we gonna have to wait. I love it cause it it trully an X-COM remake, i mean, most other X-COM projects even though they have the same features they don't have the FEEL of X-COM. Some of them changes Aliens A LOT (giving the aliens clothes of things that makes them look less like a threat), but in here...wow...they look awesome! :confused:

I wonder how much is done from the game...i am gonna download the demo right know and find out for myself...I ask this cause i really wanna know how long is it gonna be for us to be able to play it in it's fullest??...THANKS FOR MAKING THIS!!! YOU GUYS ROCK! :grr:

Ok, i know know that the game is FAR from being done...but it's a great job anyway! There are a couple of things i gotta point out.

Good Points:

*Opperatives look amazing (and i like the little Country Flag in their arm, to show they are from different countries, really nice touch, either that or i am imagining things)

*The aliens look good, like the old greys i love em!

*The aliens have VERY good aming (really good aproach)

*The atmosphere even though repetitive looks awesome!

Bad Points:

*I don't seem to be able to reload weapons

*Bullets don't seem that realistic maybe that could be enchanced (in looks i mean, everithing else looks amazing bullets should match the game looking better too). Doesn't necessarilly mean and awesome bullet but maybe a smaller size version of it, since they look like HUGE DOTS going REALLY SLOW.

*Bullet animation way to slow (remember X-COM when the bullets where more like a fast thingy intead of a slow ground of dots, i believe that the X-COM approach is better)

*Opperatives don't change stances (i believe this is gonna be added somewhere along development)

Questions:

*Is the terrain gonna be destructable like the first UFO?(maybe not by guns but by explosive devices)

*Are there gonna be more opperatives in the field?

*Are there gonna be different alien races?

*Different weapons are gonna have different ammunition, therefore different "bullet" animation?

*Once the different stances are add to the game, are you guys gonna add more thing into the emviroment like trash cans, benches, trees maybe, so opperatives can hide behind them?

I believe that is all for now....i hope u take this as constructive critisism and not as "critisism". Don't get me wrong, the game looks amazing and you are doing one heck of a job! In fact those things i point out in the "Bad Points" section, are mainly to enhance gameplay, but are not totally necesarry...thanks again, keep up the good work! :confused:

answer on your bad points:

- weapons can't be reloaded yet

- bullet-sprite isn't finished.

- speed of bullets represent on screen is optionality ("disk"-icon on action panel).

- only one postion (stand) are present at this demo.

many features will be added in next versions. such as:

- new races

- new weapons

- new mission area

- destructable terrain, wall, objects and etc

- inventory screen

...and more other.

work in progress... :P