Other gaming news

Bioshock E3 Impressions at IGN

Irrational continued on to show us the security system. In one instance, a corpse lay directly in the sweeping path of a camera. Options for progressing included simply leaving the body be, shooting the camera, backtracking to a security console and disabling the security system for a certain cost, or trying to avoid the sweep of its vision. The latter option was decided upon, but after looting some Adams from the corpse, the security system activated. We'd been caught. Hovering swiftly into the room hummed security robots, and promptly began spewing bullets. The movements of these flying menaces were governed entirely by Havok 3.0 physics, meaning there was no canned flying animation. A few armor piercing rounds took one out rather quickly, but they kept coming. Heading back the security outlet, the security station was activated, immediately shutting down the alert, as well as powering down the hovering drones. Though it wasn't shown, Irrational assured us that a hacking system would be included in the game, which would differ depending on what kind of hack you were attempting. They didn't demo it, but it would have been possible to hack into a deactivated security bot and use it for your own purposes.

Jade Emprie for PC

Finally! Ever since Neverwinter Nights came out for PC and this other masterpiece Jade Empire came out for Xbox about the same time I wondered when Jade Empire would come out for the PC.

As for the uninitiated to Jade Empire. The game is Neverwinter Nights best far eastern martial artist style/mythology.

And after 3-4 years of waiting for an answer I got one. As much as the game looked to dang cool it didn't make me want to by an Xbox (Microsoft is like the worlds largest vacuum cleaner).

A lot of things has happend in the world of computers in those 3-4 years and I hope that they 'update' the game like putting in HDR, Bloom and support for the PhysX card and so on.

From the screens that game reminds me slightly about Heroes 5... With it and Disciples III coming, we should have a good selection in that genre! :P

As for the game, it was still in early production from what 1C said. I got their press kit for E3 however, so I'll see if there's anything interesting on it.

"With it and Disciples III coming, we should have a good selection in that genre"

Hooray for the TB gaming revival! :P

::

"I got their press kit for E3 however, so I'll see if there's anything interesting on it."

Looking forward to further developments, then, Olav. :P

I just finished looking through the press kits. I only picked up the ones from Russian publishers for some reason, but I think that was a good choice. Buka, 1C and Akella all had very neat press kits, and there were several interesting games on display. Unlike western publishers, they pretty much do all sorts of strange games - the pirate game with heavy metal music playing in the background being the most amusing one! I'll do a short writeup of some of the gems there after posting the Jagged Alliance 3D interview part one.

It's kind of like "Fallout meets the X Files". It's good, but not good enough for me to shell out for the full version yet. Of course, the last version of the demo I played was about a year ago so it may be a lot better now. Dave tends to update it pretty frequently and incorporates player suggestions.

Bottom line: any Fallout fan should at least try the demo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A little late to run into the article Slaughter linked to in his last post, but here's my comment.

"We have a publisher who cares about this game, and they believe in this kind of game. 2K Games is the company that helped reinvigorate Elder Scrolls [with The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion] and Civilization. They believe in core games", Levine said.

:)

Helped reinvigorate Elder Scrolls? By saying that the game wouldn't sell, and thus not agreeing to fund it? Or was it by crawling back to Bethesda practically "begging" them to allow them to market/produce/sell the game once they realized that Bethesda raised a lot of hype? Alas, Bethesda had other plans... so 2K only got to take care of selling the game.

It also makes me wonder how did Take 2 get losses of ~30 million in the first fiscal quarter of 2006 and 50 million in the second if they "reinvigorated" Elder Scrolls and Civilization (4) - which seems like quite a good game to me, though I haven't been able to give it much attention. In fact Civ 4 has had so many new things I liked, I would have expected it sell millions seeing as how Civ has enormous reputation. Then again I didn't play all of it. But that last sentence is ingenius. I hate to break it to him, but they don't. They just want to milk the developers they can and then throw them away, while leaving them to get the flak for 2K/T2's disastrous marketing (in)ability. The poor guy is actually convinced they care about his game. There's this slim hope that people in 2K might have learned by now what they should have learned in whichever economy school they went to, but it's slim...