Lost My mod- help

vs322

Hello again-

Another stumbling block on the way to moddom:

So I've been editing / mapping away. 30+ hours of work and now when I start the map editor (s3 if it matters) My mod is no longer there in the pull down list. I have all the files backed up but I don't know how to get the editor to see them. I have tried to make a new mod with the same name and the SLQ server says that the file/data base already exists.

-HELP

I am not into the idea of starting over once again. I think that the editor lost track of the mod when I uninstalled MS office, if that makes any sense. Dose any one have any idea how I could get my files back?

I could see someone encountering the same problem if they uninstalled ss/sss and then re-installed it and the SQL server- how do you get it to see the files again?

once again please help- this is like loosing the last three days-you know?

-vs

I now know that this is done some how with the osql.exe utility- I've gone through both the nival forum and some of Microsoft's, I feel that I may be over my head. Perhaps some IT expert out there has had experience with re-attaching databases and could help me out with an s3 specific tilt on how to do it.

Thanks whoever can help.

-vs

Thanks Slaughter; I don't know if it is going to be possible to get the mod back;

I first followed the editor manuals instruction on transferring mods from one machine to another (which is very similar to what I was trying to do)- got a bunch of sql server errors and needed to re-install sql sooooooo many times(I had a bad day)-

Next I spent a big chunk of time learning how to use osgl (the mssql server administrative tool), I tried to make a new database and attach my old file to it-no go; But because of the error messages that I've gotten I have come to the conclusion that some how my database was "closed improperly" -and therefore can't be reopened. Not sure how it happened, but I think the only thing I can do is start over- Thanks for trying to help, but I'm not going to hold my breath. -anyway I now know how to use osql and I will be thoroughly backing-up my mod along the way this time.

-vs

Not sure if you've already tried these, but here are the osql commands you'd need to detach and reattach a database for manual transfer:

NB. the database name is assumed to be 'S2AGAME', please substitute this and the deployment path of the database as required...

[detach]

sp_detach_db 'S2AGAME'

go

[attach]

sp_attach_db 'S2AGAME','C:\Games\Silent Storm Sentinels\res\S2AGAME_Data.mdf','C:\Games\Silent Storm Sentinels\res\S2AGAME_Log.ldf'

go

If the database is corrupted it may be a good idea to detach it and then copy in a recent backup of the MDF file before reattachment if possible. If no backup is available a detach/attach cycle may still be worth while.

Sometimes it also helps to detach the database, delete the LDF (log) file (or move it elsewhere) and then reattach the database. This can help as it will bypass any errors manifested in the previous log and create a new log from scratch.

FryWalker-

I tried a detach / attach cycle; the specific error that I got was:

Server: Msg 3624, Level xx, State x, Line x

Expression: seenCkptEnd

(the Xs are parts I don't remember)-

I did this with the database S2AGAMEMOD_<then my mods name>, Not the original res files/ The game seems to work fine, and I can start other mods so I don't think I want to go messing with the res file.

I'll try attaching without the log file though.

Thanks

-vs

Yep, probably best to leave the original S2AGAME mdf alone :cool:

If the log file approach doesn't work, it is likely that your MDF has been corrupted.

This thread describes a similar problem:

https://www.mail-archive.com/activeserverpa...m/msg02406.html

..and it recommends using the MSSQL Recovery 1.1 application to reconstitute the database:

https://www.officerecovery.com/

Hope you manage to salvage your mod successfully!

FRYW. THANK YOU!!!

by reattaching without the log file I got everything back. It is such a relief to not need to start over. This is so sweet.

Thanks again,

-vs

(and good luck on the multi-player)