So what have you been doing?

vs322

But don't you think you're going a little overboard with the red environment lighting?

I've gotten a lot of comments about the redness of the image- I worked quite a wile to get the lighting to 'pop' in my mind- Like how I pictured the word after the apocalypse- stark (more contrast)- and polluted (the red)... But now- (especially since I have made a lot more 'terrain spots' that are dirtier / more corrodes) I might use a more regular lighting for more of the game.

I think that now I will have 'eradiated' areas (like in the wasteland (the first CRPG that I truly loved))- where I will use the red lighting, and there may be some additional effect- along the lines of 'radiation sickness' (some sort of minor bleeding that cannot be bandaged)-

Thanks for the encouragement! After reading what people said about my mod on other forums- which all turned into flame wars... I'm glad that ole' strat-co pulls through with thought-out and respectful comments- we may post less often here, but we make it count.

-vs

Damn right, bee-yotch!

I am so excited about your mod that I really just want to jump up and down and hug you. Maybe even make you some soup! Send all yummy goodness our way as soon as you can. You have a legion of testers ready and waiting.

God speed!

Uuooh!!

That's a great story and your world looks fantasticomatiocool! I think that red light just make the right 'poison-light' feeling. I don't know does the game count shadows as different places... if so it would be great to have maps where players loose VP-points (or get sick) if they characters spend too much time in sunlight.

I would be interested to create mobs to mod like that: some kind of sunburned mutants who spits toxic, mutants who got plaque (no touching), players characters are food to some mobs etc ....

Great idea and I can see you have already make a lots of new stuff in your mod. I am very excited to test it too.

Hey, it's a different game! :P

Yea, Right now the Mobs/Pers are where a lot of my time is going- Making new skins mostly- Skinning models is a much slower poses than I had thought it would be, but it is what will make the world believable (or not just seem like world war 2 in a really red desert).

About the losing VPs in certain areas I think that I will just use a UnitInArea function and mark out the areas in the template that are 'irradiated.'

I'm glad that you like the lighting scheme- I'm really attached to it myself, but got an across the board negative reaction until now. I made a new (still red) lighting setup that is browner...I may use that more then the one used for the screenshots.

-vs

It is hard to judge the lighting from screenshots. Maybe the folks complaining will like it better seeing it in-game. I suggest you keep the original until your first release, and then change it if people still do not like it.

I work in 3D modeling/ animation, but unlike everyone in the games industry actually have some time on my hands at work. What software do you use for your modeling and texture mapping? I use 3DS Max 7.5, and Photoshop of course.

If you want any help with textures, let me know. I could also help you with proofreading if you like (it's "irradiated").

:P

• 2 years later...
I find it amusing that I keep running into over the internet Fall. You probably don't know me, but I lurk around at CDG. Anyway, I'm a sub-par modeller, but I would be more than happy to help out with a mod as well. I'll do whatever.

I find it amusing that I keep running into over the internet Fall. You probably don't know me, but I lurk around at CDG. Anyway, I'm a sub-par modeller, but I would be more than happy to help out with a mod as well. I'll do whatever.

What can I say, I get around. *cue Beach Boys*

You should become a more active member of CDG, we can help you learn to model and more.

What can I say, I get around. *cue Beach Boys*

You should become a more active member of CDG, we can help you learn to model and more.

I think I will. Now that it's the summer time I don't have an excuse not to learn how to model.

What's Up strat-co. So I know this is about 3 years late...But I have been working on a "classic" tactics like game (picture Disgaea, FFT or even x-com.) I am building from scratch and may use some of my old SS ideas.

I'm using C++, DirectX, XML etc, and hope to distribute it within a year or so- If you are /truly/ interested you can check www.reodjectz.com to see some up to date info.

BTW are Komik and DoomMunky still around at all?

Anyway I know this isn't exactly SS related, but I wanted to let you know what I was up to.

Oh and fallschirmjager ... is there a link to your work-- I'm always looking for competent artists.

I don't have a portfoilio like most people as I ain't looking for a job in the industry, I just do it for something to do.

Anyway here's my current work in progress, it's a Remington 870 shotgun with a Mesa Tactical rail and stock adaptation kit. The stock is a newly released Magpul UBR and I've still got to make the front and rear flip up sights along with a shotshell holder and... a bayonet.

https://img299.imageshack.us/img299/4135/8702lx2.jpg

Polycount at that stage was around 6,800 triangles, at the moment the bolt and breech area is almost done (I'm making some of the internals to make a nice and detailed background for my PC)

I could try and dig up some older work but I don't model all that often with work and such.

• 2 months later...

Well, I am working on a rather large mod. I started it about a year ago or so. It's still "under construction", the working title is "Amery Affair" (short description can be found here)

---------------------

@ fallschirmjager

Well, I haven't tried modeling simply because I don't have Maya (4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 6.0, or 6.5) that the Editor has plugins for. But retexturing can be easily done. I do it the hard way though:

- Take a screen shot of the texture in the Editor window

- modify it (recolor, redraw, add, enhance, etc.) and

- import it back into the Editor.

One can change pretty much any texture that way including uniforms, weapons, objects, faces

I've created a whole number of various uniforms, added make up to ladies' facial textures, added my own logos and so on and so forth.

The fallschirmjager uniform? Hmm... There are some models/geometries that could be used for that (Italian soldier maybe).

But the helmets... fallschirmjagers had very specific ones..(???)

---------------------

What kind of mod are you thinking of making? Or just models/geometries/textures?

I myself am in dire need of some female military models (like Aussie with skirts) and a Jeep (1940s-1950s)

New weapon model would also be neat.

---------------------

Anyway, if anyone is interested in a "joint effort", file exchange or just brainstorming on the topic of S^2, S^3, H&S let me know.

P.S. If there are several unconnected plots they can be selected during the first mission as long as the Global map is the same. Although I've read somewhere that the global map can also be changed from inside the game (with all the global variables being reset as a result), so no worries.

---------------------

Blunter

About secret rooms- This brings up one of s2 /s3's biggest flaws to me; no actual exploring; my teem is going into an enemy base with little intelligence, but as soon as the map starts I can look at all levels, parts of the map that are very far from my teem and so on.

So yes you could have 'secret' rooms, but you would just see it on the other side of a wall and would get a 'path not found' message. So you blow a hole in the wall and walk in. Not too secret.

The real problem is that the passages are meant to be underground, but you can blow a hole in the ceiling of them, climb up, and run around in total darkness

I've noticed this topic and thought, maybe, I can share my way of creating secret rooms, the illusion of "room by room exploration", etc. Step by step:

1. Create a building with at least 1 underground floor with, say, 3 rooms. Seperated by a door ("undestructible") in my case.

2. Place "Undestructible" floor on the first (0) floor so that the player can't break through the floor into the rooms underneath. Preferable "concrete" for believability.

3. Make sure the outer walls of the "-1" underground floor are colored "Black" and combine it with the Default light (create it yourself) that has BackLightColor "Black". This is done prevent the player from seeing there is anything under the first floor. When going to "-1" floor in game the player will see only darkness.

4. Now, in my case, I'll remove one of the "undestructible" 1st floor tiles and place a Straw Box to cover the hole. In the object's name line we'll write StrawBox (so that we can address this particular object from the script).

The original Straw Box might be too small and its X, Y, Z size parameters would need to be adjusted to cover the hole we created in the floor.

5. Now in Objects\Industrial let's find 3 crates to "fill" the secret rooms. Also adjust their size to fit the rooms and just like with the StrawBox give each of them names Container1 for the 1st room, Container2 for room2 and Container3 for room3. This is done to ensure that clicking anywhere in the sectret rooms' area will return the "no go" sound and won't create a dotted "path"

6. Now in Objects\Settings\ Mines\SetBlackFloor find a floor object. Create 3 of them to cover the 3 rooms right under the 1st floor "undestructible" concrete. Again adjust the size of each "BlackFloor" and give them names BlackFloor1, BlackFloor2 and BlackFloor3

7. Now write a script resembling the one below. Destroying the StrawBox will lead to opening of the Room1

The "--" are placed there by me on purpose so that those not very familiar with Lua scripting could understand what it all means. (I am relatively new to it myself and know how it feels when people throw "big words" around and don't bother to explain when asked)

function checkStrawBoxDestroy()	  -- This is a function's name. Used to refer to this function 
local StrawBox = GetObject("StrawBox")   -- A shortut to StrawBox. Comes in handy instead of typing GetObject("StrawBox") one can simply use StrawBox
local Container1 = GetObject("Container1")   -- Another shortcut
local black1 = GetObject("BlackFloor1")   -- Another shortcut
if(IsValid(StrawBox) and	-- checking if StrawBox is present
	IsValid(Container1) and   -- checking if Container1 is present
	IsValid(black1)) then  -- checking if black1 is present
	while(true) do   --  in case those above things are true 
		if(ObjectGetDestroyStage(StrawBox)~=0) then  -- and if the StrawBox covering the removed Concrete tile leading to the "-1" floor is destroyed
			ObjectRemove(black1)  -- the BlackFloor1 covering the Secret Room1 gets removed 
			ObjectRemove(Container1)  -- and the Container "filling" the Secret Room1 gets removed
			return
		end
		Sleep(20)
	end	
end
end
function checkDoorOpened()	 -- There is a Door between the Room1 and Rooms2,3 this function is for checking  that doors state - namely if opened what happens next
local SecretDoor = GetObject("SecretDoor")	-- again a Shortcut
local Container2 = GetObject("Container2")	 -- another shortcut
local Container3 = GetObject("Container3")	 -- another shortcut
local black2 = GetObject("BlackFloor2")	 -- another shortcut
local black3 = GetObject("BlackFloor3")	 -- another shortcut
if(IsValid(SecretDoor) and	 -- checking if SecretDoor is present
	IsValid(Container2) and	 -- checking if Container2 is present
	IsValid(Container3) and	 -- checking if Container3 is present
	IsValid(black2) and	 -- checking if black2 is present

IsValid(black3)) then	-- checking if black3 is present
	while(true) do	  --  in case those above things are true
		if(ObjectIsOpened(SecretDoor)) then	 -- and if the SecretDoor is opened
			ObjectRemove(black2) -- removes the BlackFloor2
			ObjectRemove(black3) -- removes the BlackFloor3
			ObjectRemove(Container2)  -- removes the Container2
			ObjectRemove(Container3)  -- removes the Container3
			return
		end
		Sleep(20)
	end	
end
end
DelayGameStart()  -- not really necessary but if one wants to do something before the game start it can be scripted here
StartThread(checkStrawBoxDestroy)  -- Constantly check the status of the StrawBox
StartThread(checkDoorOpened)   -- Constantly check the status of the SecretDoor
StartGame()  -- Starts the game visible to the player

It can be done without the checkStrawBoxDestroy() function if you already allowed the player to access the floor "-1".

In my example the player is completely unaware of the underground Rooms' 1, 2, 3 existense.

So in short: it is quite possible to have Secret rooms underground as many of them as you like.

The situations this can be applied to I'll leave to your imagination.

I use it in castle dungeons, underground passages with toxic vapours as "safe" islands with goodies, etc.

Blunter ( yet another long post, :laugh: )

P.S. (to staff) Is it possible/permitted to attach images here?

And if "yes" then what are the limitations (number per post), size limits, format (jpg?) ???

Script PlaceTemplate() don't place costructions (walls, floors). Only objects.

That script actually works okay and I have used it in one of my unfinished mods.

PlaceTemplate( templateID, "waypointname" )

WaitForPassCalc()

I used it combined to a WaitForUnitWaypoint trigger which was placed on a wooden shield in one (wooden) house. After character stepped near the shield, sequence started and removed the shield and placed a secret room under it. The ground under the house was already removed in the editor and house's and template's floors were indestructible.