X-Com Dos on DosBox

kriminal99

Hey I have a 1.4 X-Com CD and a Dos emulator that runs any dos game there ever was the way they are supposed to run. Does this version have any in game bugs that were fixed by the CE version? Is there anyway I can get the old sounds back? (from b4 1.4) I used to have a diskette version of the game and I could have sworn there were better sound effects.

All DOS versions have difficulty bug - game doesn't store difficulty level, and whenever geoscape is loaded (you load game or return from battle) missing setting is set to beginner. This can be fixed by hacking savegame everytime after you save, or by using X-Com Util.

In DOS version vertical blaster bug doesn't occur, and proximity grenade bug is a little different.

Going back to old sounds can be achieved by modifying sound files. (Ripping both files from old and 1.4, converting old files to 1.4 format, and building new sound library). I wrote some programs that do ripping&glueing, in case you are registered on Xenocide forums you might want to check out this thread. Also there is pinned topic in Xcom1: Technical Support forum about sound patch (here is the link), read it as well.

All DOS versions have difficulty bug - game doesn't store difficulty level, and whenever geoscape is loaded (you load game or return from battle) missing setting is set to beginner. This can be fixed by hacking savegame everytime after you save, or by using X-Com Util.

In DOS version vertical blaster bug doesn't occur, and proximity grenade bug is a little different.

Going back to old sounds can be achieved by modifying sound files. (Ripping both files from old and 1.4, converting old files to 1.4 format, and building new sound library). I wrote some programs that do ripping&glueing, in case you are registered on Xenocide forums you might want to check out this thread. Also there is pinned topic in Xcom1: Technical Support forum about sound patch (here is the link), read it as well.

Thanks alot, I got the old sounds from the final thread you presented, in the last couple posts someone had seperated and beefed up the old sound files already so that you could just copy them into the ufo sound directory. The aliens actually sound menacing again ;)

I used the xcomutil program as well and tried not to let it change anything. The mind control change kinda bugs me, and also I found my skyranger has a weapon hardpoint on it... I hope xcomutil doesn't change to much else.

I copied a save I was playing from the CE edition but I don't know if its in superhuman or beginner mode... Where in the save file does it indicate the game difficulty or is there some program for changing it?

EDIT: Never mind I found the options on xcomutil for finding that out and changing it. I wasn't sure that my savegame was actually running at superhuman because it seemed kind of easy.

Jman4117: Two things. One, a few different sound samples were used for the aliens. The sectoids in particular sounded different in older versions, but in 1.4, they now share that deep sigh that floaters use when they die. I think the snakemen had a different death scream too, but I can't remember.

The other change is in the overall sound sampling rate. It's much lower in the old version, and depending on the soundcard, the sound may not play too well and may even have scratchy noises. The higher sampling rate in 1.4 fixes that, at the expense of a few sample changes.

- NKF