Jagged Alliance 3D interview at GameShark.com

Slaughter

GameShark.com recently interviewed Mist Land about their upcoming Jagged Alliance 3D. The interview cover quite a few interesting bits, and also has a mention of Jagged Alliance 3 that they will develop after Jagged Alliance 3D. For the fans of turn-based games out there, this is the good news:

Is MiST-LAND using an existing turn-based game technology used in one of its previous titles or is Jagged Alliance 3D being built from scratch?

MiST-LAND: Oh, we used the best technologies created by the company in Ja3D. We have considered all our experience we have gained while developing tactical games. Besides we performed market research before we set to develop the game. At the present moment we are working on a real-time Ja3D with 'a smart pause'. We guess the innovation may sound a bit shocking to the fans of the JA series. But there's nothing to worry about. Ja3D branches somehow from the main idea of the sequel. It's a kind of experiment. The Ja3 we are going to create after Ja3D is to be a classic turn-based game.

Spotted at Taktikzone.de

Damn :) ... I'm not so friend of those pause 'turnbased' games (too chaotic for my (bad) taste and those can't be played with friends ;) ) but I will be there because after all I'm 'fanatic' JA-fan. Maybe they 'smart pause' will chance my feelings about it... I will see...

Welcome back Jagged Alliance when ever to for ever (arms wide open)! :( (I still play once a while Urban Chaos and others)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, according to this thread of RPG codex, it seems JA3D will be turn-based anyway.

I'm really glad. :lol:

Yes, it may be worse than the game having been developed as turn-based from the beginning.

But I guess it's far better than Real-Time with Pause, because It's JA afterall !! :cool:

• 1 month later...

Hmmm. So far, all I had seen were the screenshots from the posts above this and they looked ok, but the more I read about JA3d the worse I feel about it. They're converting the game to turn-based? That sounds like a slap-on type of job. Like they marketing boys told them to make it an RTS because that's what everyone wants, so they do so, then marketing totally turns around and tells them to do TB because they realize fans of JA want it that way, so they try to slap on a TB system after it's already done. Games that are real-time don't translate well to TB. There are different strategies involved that aren't necessarily useful or even necessary for either type. And if they are "converting" it to TB, I get the feeling it won't be a a particularly good job. It would be like converting my motorcyle into a minivan. They may be both vehicles but guess what ....

It sounds like the game is being driven by marketing and no longer by the developers. That's not good. That's when you get a bunch of unhappy campers just doing what they're told. At some point they just give up, try to finish and move on to something else. The result is usually mediocre at best. I like to be hopeful for games. I'm still hoping the game will turn out well, but I don't think I'll be shocked if it isn't. Hopefully, the game after (the JA3), the one they are mentioning in the quote, will be ok.