Cannot find Commanders

r0dent

okay I'm playing a Windows version of UFO GOLD..... on superhuman level

I cannot find ANY COMMANDERS at bases or battleships! I mean, they are simply not there.

I raided and destroyed 4 bases so far and no commanders.

No commanders either when MY base gets attacked by aliens.

Is this a bug in GOLD edition?

I believe Commanders are only on Battleships on a "Base" Mission.

Also, the Commanders are not necessarily holed up in the Command Centre of a base; they can easily be the first one you kill toting a heavy plasma.

If you're hunting for a commander, it's best to give everyone Stun Bomb Launchers and a Laser Rifle (which is what I do), so in the event of having to kill a cyberdisc/sectopod, you have the stuff to do it with.

Sometimes the commanders are not generated. Perhaps you're just having a streak of bad-luck? Keep trying, one's bound to show up.

It saves a bit of time and containment space if you probe or mind control the aliens to spot the commander before you kill or stun it.

By the way, I need to double check this later, but, floater commanders won't give you 'Cydonia or Bust', but they will give you 'The Martian Solution', only half of the prerequisites for the must-have 'cydonia' launch button. A sectoid or ethereal commander gets both. Mind you, this is from past experience. I haven't performed a controlled test to see if the game actually behaves this way.

- NKF