Do you have need for S2-randoms?

KoMik

Hoogahey...

I'm now asking from all of you that have you still planned to play S2 orginal campaings? I just opened (half year break) my 1st database which I started build about year ago and I noted that there is about 30 maps. So do you want a Random Storm? Those randoms are a bit surrealistic... in many of those I have used terrain brushes to paint the ground (nowdays I use only terrain spots because those are more detailed). Only thing what is still needed to make Random Storm 'complete' is to place some units and make variants so it wouldn't be hard job for me.

Questions list:

1) Have you planned to replay S2? (...one more time for old times sake, baby!)

2) What are your thoughts about random encounters?

3) Are randoms unneccessary because there is no scripted events and any objectives to complete?

4) Do you like 'just keep up shooting' playing?

5) Should I finish Random Storm and release it?

My S3 mod (small_mod) still needs lots of testing and fixing and testing and fixing and some more testing and fixing because of scripts (like all games do). So I could easily finish Random Storm meanwhile. It would be nice if I have simple mod for S2 and little bit complexical mod for S3 (and even more complex mod for next addon... I hope H&S includes map editor also).

1) At some point when time permits.

2) I haven't played many random encounters myself, but most people like them I believe. Shorter and so on.

3) No, I think they are nice distractions from the often long and hard missions.

4) At times. Most missions in S2 end up like that anyway.

5) Yes! ;) There is no good reason why you shouldn't. There are so few mods for S2. We need at least ONE that does more than increasing the grenade range...

Hey Komik- Is the idea to have the maps that you made be random encounters in the regular campaigns in S2. Because that sounds great. I personally like the random encounters quite a bit, but there are too few maps to keep it really interesting.

I too have been working towards a random encounter map pack (still a long way off).

about your specific questions->

1-> I'm playing, half heartedly, through S2 again, but I think that a few new random maps would spark more interest in it. Especially in the US where you can only get S3 as an import.

2-> Like I said, I like them, quick, fun, and you can level up your guys if you are having trouble some were else in the game. One thing that does bother me a little is that there is so little 'loot' in random encounters; it would be nice to get back some of the grenades and lock picks that you used.

3-> Slaughter has it right; a lot of time the real missions just turn into a 'kill everyone' mission, but you need to pick up a body or a clue at the end- so the only real difference is size and replay ability. (Use of template variances is key.)

4-> Keep shooting, sure. As long as the environments that the shooting is going on in is interesting.

5-> Yea, why not? If it is really a lot of work and will take too much time away from your 'small_mod' project then, maybe not- but if it looks like it would be in a state where you would be happy releasing it soon then by all means.

-vs

Thanks you guys for your replies.

I will finish it because if I don't it would be 'just a useless piece of practice'. It's nice to hear that someones would even try play it (not just me and my turnbased-freak-friends). I haven't played those maps in game, only in editor. When I realized what it takes to build mod, Sentinels was published and I just leave Random Storm to get dust and started making new S3database as blinded of it 'new stuff'.

My S^s modding skill have raised since those days (a half year ago I didn't know nothing about scripting, computer languages, how to do/add 3D textures and create new pers but now I do know something and maybe I add finn soldiers as badass enemy to russian winter chapter randoms :) ). I would like to do finns-winter-troops but our army have NEVER called Finnish Attack Force... it have been and I really hope that it will forever be Finnish Defence Force.

...one Random Storm coming ;)

I think it's an excellent idea, KoMik, and one that could really inspire other people to make some useful additions to the game world. I agree with what's been said here already; familiarity with the randoms makes them uninteresting, and therefore unappealing. No thanks.

But Random Storm! I would love to have that around for replayability! Yes!

And if it gave you hope to carry on with your Small_Mod, I wholeheartedly recommend it. I'm worried you're going to get sick of the Small_Mod and give up, and none of us will see the fruits of your hard work!

(and the Finns had better kick some ass...)

Thanks DoomMunky for our Words.

I just placed units to Random Storm both campaings England1/England2 chapters (9maps) and it wasn't too hard thing to do... but it takes time about 4-5 hours so there goes my 'weekly moddingtime' and when I tested those maps in game it was a nice little tactical shooting playing (eating sandwich with other hand).

I tried to do something different to those randoms with item-loots, patrol-, roaming- and guarding-units and it makes playing little bit harder (not such rushing or camping). There is some things what may make me quit finishing Random Storm: placing units isn't so creative stuff to my mind as small_mod with all scripts, textures, extra units and 'storythings' is (I actually think that my next moddingtime goes with small_mod and will I 'never' return to Random Storm... nobody knows).

This modding hobby is me like playing RPG-games, when I learn/realize how to do something I get 'level up'... if S^s editor can lift modder to maxlevel 100 I'm now on level 20-30 so there is still lot to 'play' :( .

I really hope that vs322 does his RANDOMGENERATOR so it could fill the extramapsmod need what S2 got :( .

...sun is shining over the Finland and girls looks sooooo goood (makes my wintercoldblood hotHOThot) but thats got nothing to do with modding... or does it? ;):):(

KoMik- yes I'm still working on the Random map generator. I really liked the way that you described using the map editor- that you feel you "level up" in your skill. I will eventually get to releasing it, but fight now I still feel that I'm learning. I'm also trying different experiments in how to generate the map.

Also, I had not played the game in a wile- and I forgot how long a fight can take- I'm thinking that the sizes of the maps will have to be much smaller.

Well -to all modders- keep working.

-vs

Yes! Please keep working! We eagerly anticipate the results!

And please, guys, let us know when you need testers. You can give us pretty detailed instructions of what to look for, and we can make sure everything runs smoothly... Rock!

About testing-

I was thinking that I would put together What I'm working on in s2's editor and set it to a 100% random encounter so that people could use the "add mod" program and test it out.

I've got some 'real' (as in money making) work to do, before I can get back into my mod- I will defiantly let you guys at it when I have stuff at a level that I'm happy with.

And KM- maybe we can get a look at random-storm soon?

-vs

I have now a important moneywork deadline approaching and it keep me busy 12hours a day(2weeks) and I'm sometimes so tired(and lazy too) at evenings that my thoughts/ideas to mod aren't so stirring as they should and can be (freelancer lifestory) but after deadline I should have plenty of freetime (freelancer lifestory part2).

Random Storm I have freezed in someway because I want to give small_mod all my freetime. Small_mod first version is actually in very final point... still things to do:

-'Final' mission is almost ready

-I haven't finished the main base (which is actually unuseless in this version ("under construction"). This gampaing is quite linear in first chapter)

-I want to add some 2D-spot-textures (wall pictures/paintings/drawings and carpets)

-My friend is going to translate some texts and check spellings

-Other friend would like to make some musics/sounds/'dialogs'(so you can/have to listen our barbaric language)

-Lots of testing (before I give BETAversion to public testing)

So there is time taking stuffs... and Random Storm is waiting on line "beep beep beep... all our lines are now busy... keep you line open so we will take you soon in... thank you for waiting (overfriendly female voice and some 'relaxing' background music).

I hope vs get back to modding after his moneyworks too (this game engine/system is too good to left in shadows... H&S or Nightwatch should be soon in shops... but are how long it gonna takes... don't ask from me).