That damn sound...

Fox

I have an ES1869 Plug and Play Audiodrive. It's some piece of crap sound card that comes stock with older Compaq Presarios. The thing is, I've had sound on this computer before, something is just amiss here, and I just need to correct it. I'm pretty sure it's a software problem.

What version of the game are you using? The original dos edition or the Collectors edition?

I have a Compaq Armada with an ESS -- I think Maestro -- card and I have problems with both games.

The dos edition simply has no sound effects because I do not have a dos compatible sound blaster driver (even though it says it does) but I do get midi output. Sort of reverse problem, I guess.

For the collectors edition, I don't get any music the first time I run the game. But when I quit the game and start it again, the music kicks in. Happens every time the computer is booted.

- NKF

They converted the original synthesiser music in the game into midi files for the collectors edition, so, in essense what you hear when you play UFO collectors edition are midi files (I know it sounds awkward :) ).

Try opening up a midi file in media player or winamp or whatever you've bound your midi files to. If you can hear that, try leave it running and start up your game. If you can still hear the music playing -- well, then you can just alt-tab between the game and your music player (ones with playlists would be preferable) to change the music at your leisure.

It's not the best solution, but it is one.

The midi files are stored under the 'sounds' folder in the directory you installed the game.

- NKF