• Silent Storm: Sentinels
    • UFO Aftermath
    • UFO Enemy Unknown
    • Terror from the Deep
    • Apocalypse
    • Other

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I'm fairly new to this group.

I voted TFTD but I have to cop out and say it was really EU and TFTD together. I still consider them the same game just two different parts. I personally prefer EU but picking TFTD was, in my mind, like picking them both together. I'll never forget sitting there thinking, I only have 8 action points left...should I turn and open the door, go inside...should I wait till next turn.... go inside....nothing, then....should I turn with my two points left? Turn. Oh God. Alien facing me in the square right next to me. Then flipping out trying to figure out everything I possibly could to save my soldier. My best guy! (They were all my best guy.) I preferred EU's city settings but I liked the length of TFTDs ship terror missions. I just never liked the color palette from TFTD. The same murky sort of blue. I always prefer city type environments.

A very close second was Apoc. Oddly, I've played Apoc much more than EU/TFTD simply because, for a long while, I couldn't get EU/TFTD running on my machine. So when I wanted to play, it was no other choice. After many times playing it, I began to appreciate it a great deal. Even more so after I found that "so and so's Midnight editor" (can't remember the proper name). It became, and still is, my favorite game to play and experiment with. And I end up playing it every 3 to 4 months or so. As a matter of fact ... it's about time to start up another game.

Silent Storm would be a close third. It was like playing JA/Xcom again when I found it. The only problem I had with SS was the random missions. I felt like I was shooting the same 6 or so guys over and over again. There weren't really random but the same set number of maps and the same enemies in the nearly the same positions over and over. And after playing the story missions, the random maps were so small, they felt really confining. The enemies were always in the same certain places because they really didn't have much space to be anywhere else. If the random maps were a bit bigger and they were truly random, it would have had a lot more staying power with me. Anyway, EU/TFTD were my first, so they always have a special place in my mind.

• 1 month later...
Enemy Unknown ! For me, for you, for everyone !

It's the best of best DOS games I have ever played.

BTW, I've played more than 1,000 DOS games.

another BTW, sorry for my poor English, and I'm a Chinese.

Your English is fine. 1000? Madness! :blush: Welcome to the boards!

@blehm: Nah, wanted to make it a pleasant poll :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Gotta give my vote to the Silent Storm series. I love the turnbased game mode, I love the physics engine and I love the variety of weapons and skills you can assign to your troopers. However, my vote would have gone to UFO: Enemy Unknown if it hadn't been for the entire PSI aspect of the game. I hate having my men brainwashed by sectoids they can't even see, it's more frustrating than fun to me.

• 3 years later...

I'm not revising my vote here as it still stands at Enemy Unknown, but now that I have played the other games I can finally make that judgment final. :)

I'd like to mention though that if there was a way to combine X-COM's atmosphere, setting and music with Silent Storm's destructible environment, incredible array of weapons and role specialization plus UFO: Aftermath's training system and it's ufopaedia (urm, Glossary) entries, we'd have an unbeatable game. I can dream, can't I? :P

- Zombie

• 11 years later...