1. 1. Which is the better game?

• Silent Storm
    • Silent Storm: Sentinels
    • UFO Aftermath
    • UFO Enemy Unknown
    • Terror from the Deep
    • Apocalypse
    • Other

I give my vote for S3 (even the campaing is too hardstyle for me). Learning to mod helps a lot to like the game and after S^Smoddingskills I might do games like those others in that list ;) and I also try to make mods like honorary mentions to old turnbased games (Paybacktime, JA, Fallout...).

...it's my turn now...

Sorry guys, but I voted other.

I was totally overwhelmed by JA2 when I finally got into it and learned the mechanics. More or less blew 2 weeks vacation on it ;)

But I haven't played the X-Coms so I might change my mind. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Terror from the deep rules, as far as I'm concerned. Apoc comes a close 2nd.

S3 is brilliant, no question. But a non-linear game will beat a linear game any day of the week. Plus with the XCOM games, you get to build bases. You get to build facilities within the bases. You get to build and equip ships. You get to do research. You get to use psionic powers and weapons, and fight exotic alien species.

Truly, the XCOM games were a product of pure genius.

Sometimes I wonder why they don't make games like that anymore.

Sometimes I wonder why they don't make games like that anymore.

Many reasons I guess, but I think one of the main problems is profit. Durned publishers only care about profit, and the developers waste their time playing with 3d engines that add more or less nothing to the games. Silent Storm is one of the few exceptions in regards to 3d.

There is some players who don't have 5hours (one after another) time to spend to non-linearity in day. And non-linearity sure needs lots of time to handle (and those are so addictive).

I still play games which started all this turn based style: chess and backcammon are great games with friends and those doesn't take 5hours to play (and are truly 3D ;) ).

I think 'all' turn based games are non-linearity in someway (depends how players play those) and it's good to have different ones :cool: .