Nival acquired by Ener1 Group

Slaughter

Nival is Russia's largest developer responsible for such titles as Blitzkrieg, Silent Storm and Etherlords. They are also working on Master of Magic 5, Nightwatch and several other PC games. With it's 140 employees, it rivals more than a few developers out there.

Today it was announced that they have been acquired by the technology holding company Ener1 Group. Here's a quote from the press release: "Ener1 Group plans to integrate Nival Interactive's creative studio of 140 artists, designers and programmers with its US-based video gaming interests to develop next generation console and wireless games."

This didn't sound like good news for fans of PC games, but on inquiry from us Nival's PR manager Dmitry Kolpakov had this to say: "Keep calm, PC branch will stay intact :huh:"

I almost had a heart attack when reading this! But as long as the PC division isn't touched... Anyway, best wishes to Nival! Hope you get some nice fat bonuses!

Spotted at Blue's News

When I read that Nival was being "acquired by the technology holding company Ener1 Group", I thought that everything would still be okay as the Nival part is still intact. However, the press release talks about Ener1 Group integrating Nival with it's US-based group.

From past experience, whenever two companies are forced to merge under any circumstances (including friendly or hostile takeovers), the resulting company is never as good as the original parts. Why? Well, there is always going to be some animosity and bitterness between the two parts. This is not conducive to producing a quality product. It remains to be seen whether this merge is actually a good thing. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I will not hold my breath! :huh:

This is a shame. "next generation console and wireless games" ? Nival was working one games that they loved, now it seems that the will most likely be making the games they are told to. Games for "Next generation consoles" usually means making mindless blockbusters where the players twitch skills determine the outcome rather than the stats of the characters in the game. Which I love the stats and I hope that you all do too, (why else would you be playing silent storm??) And a turn-based game on a next-gen console? Forget it. This seems like bad news to me.

-vs

I was really surprised by this news. I thought Nival has no financial problems, thus what could be the reason for selling company? Maybe investment for XBOX2/PS3 development? Can you imagine SS on XBOX? I would certainly enjoy it, but that's me...

I was really surprised by this news. I thought Nival has no financial problems, thus what could be the reason for selling company? Maybe investment for XBOX2/PS3 development? Can you imagine SS on XBOX? I would certainly enjoy it, but that's me...

I don't think money was the problem. Nival have been steadily expanding over the years, and most of their games have sold well. Guess they just got a REALLY good offer :huh: