Russian base mission - does it go away?

mbnx01

I see there is a 'Russian base mission' available now on the World map. This appears to be more of a 'plot-driven' than one of the regular 'automatically generated' missions.

My question is - how long will it be available? I'm still leveling up my troops and have just started producing Blue Armor. I'd like to keep taking standard missions for awhile. My worry is that the mission will disappear off the map and I'll then be on some 'you can't win' track.

I'm enjoying this game more than anything I've played in years. I wasn't sure how I'd warm up to the 'RPG elements', but now I found that one of the best parts of the game.

Any info on how long this mission will be available will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-MB

Until you do it. Plot-driven or Scripted missions are not set to expire, but the longer you take to do it, the harder it will likely be. Waiting a bit is ok, just don't wait for more than you really need.

BTW, if you center on the mission and zoom in as much as possible you'll notice a symbol in mission triangles. If it has a ! in it, it's a plot-driven mission, anything else is just randomly generated.

Well, I finally went in. 6 elite troops armed with long-range rifles. Ended with 2 in the hospital, and Richard didn't come back. Tough mission. I can imagine someone who was a newbie at PC games would pull their hair out over this one. Are there any further dramatic bumps in difficulty level later in the game? That's something I've always disliked...when it's a pretty steady level then they dump the 'impossible mission' on you 2/3rd's of the way through the game.

I don't think most people finish most games they play. But I am trying hard to finish this one.

-MB

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to hear that - I've tried the Russian Area 51 twice, with 100% fatalities and subsequent reloads each time, and if I have the opportunity to develop better armour, weapons and squad members before I HAVE to go in, then that's good news.

Now, someone had me that crate of grenades...

...I'm not beaten yet.