UN Bomb Mission

druid

That happened to me, too, dammit!

This makes me want to tackle it all over again, maybe with a grenadier this time...

I didn't have a problem defusing the bombs in this mission, it was getting through the sewers that took ages! In the end I just took loads and loads of grenades and thew them around until I could see some blood spatters. At that point I just unloaded my SMG's and machines guns in the right direction and hoped to God they hit the hidden people. Reckon I got 50% of them that way, and although my medic was very busy at least everyone survived to the room with the bombs.

That I found relatively easy. Use your sniper to head shoot them with a dart rifle, and lob a couple of heavy frag grenades in. They only managed to plant one bomb when I did this, the rest died before they got a chance.......

• 2 weeks later...
It took me several tries and a lot of frustration until I backed off and tried it again with a new team that included a capable engineer who defused the mines en route and then I used the stun guns found in the tunnels to incapacitate the guards that hadn't been grenaded to bits by my trusty grenadiers. And coming in both doors does make it much easier.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I can see, the trick to clearing the UN basement is:

1) Get the "bank robbery" random encounter and loot everything. (Gets you more than 50K worth of swag)

2) Hire good mercs and buy good gear.

3) Aim for the head.

If Eagle hadn't watched my back in there, my custom merc would've been gravesoil!

Edit: Can you get the bank job mission twice? If so, where is it located? I'm in need of some heavy-duty firepower for the base defense mission and I need the moolah

Okay, I'm finally back to this mission, and I'm pumped. I got all the way down the side with the mines guarding the stairs, no problem, then realized that the other door is all the way the hell on the other side of the map!! Grrr! Now there's MORE fighting through the damn sewers agianst the best and sneakiest hiding enemies I've faced so far! Grarf!!

Patience, grasshopper, patience...

By the way, where is the bank mission? I've heard of it, but haven't found it yet... As for it's repeatability, I'll get back to you.

EDIT: The bank mission IS repeatable! I read about it months ago here. And, also, the link tells where the mission can be found...! Both questions answered in one handy post....from the PAST....

Doo doo doo doo.... *spooky music*

"Listen! ...Do you smell something?"

Yes!!!

I did it! I finally did it!

I went in from both doors at once, two teams of three: my Main char (Tuffy, an 8th level Scout), Gari the Medic, and Tadas the Sniper from one end; and Bob the grenadier, Kenko the engineer, and Gator the Soldier from the other door (the one with the mined passage leading to it).

Tuffy uncovered a hiding enemy upon entering the room, and Tadas easily brought him down with the Stunning Rifle. He collapsed like a ton of bricks, eliciting a mirthless chuckle from the cool, professional lips of Tadas.

From the other side of the room, it was easy to see the second enemy, crouched between barrels of wine, barrels of wine that blew apart with a shocking gush upon meeting one of Bob's precision-guided grenades. Gator was able to stun him on the next round, his aim with the Stunning Pistol only slightly off from the burst bullet he'd caught in the leg.

Tadas reloaded as Tuffy began the frantic search down the aisles for the third enemy, who was sure to plant a bomb within the next turn, but he was uncovered and brought down much like the first. More chuckling from Tadas.

His comrades out of commission, the fourth terrorist decided to go down fighting and rushed into the open, only to fall under a hail of rifle fire from the assembled strike team.

Mission accomplished without a single bomb being planted or a single casualty for my team. (Yeah, so it was the fourth try: so what.)

The very next mission I accepted, Tadas was able to pull a silenced sniper rifle from the cold, dead hands (they were cold, too, it being winter on the Finnish border) of a terrorist, and Gator was rewarded for gunning down a helpless hostage with the most expensive rifle available so far, a 15-shot wonder with high damage and a good range...

Nothing can stop me now. Nothing.

I'd like to put in my two cents. First, I didn't cheat. Second, I had Viper in my team. Viper will spot the hidden enemy, and can usually take them out with no problem. You need, and Viper has, a very high Spot skill. Now, you need to attack from two different directions. I send my Engineer and a Soldier to the back tunnel. I use LA as my engineer, and she has no problem disarming the mines. Now, for the main assault. As has been said above, if you step through the doorway, you're finished. The key is to kill or disable the enemy WITHOUT stepping through the doorway. How do you do this? Easy. First, Viper has to have the Dart rifle and all of the darts. Second, you need a Soldier (usually my character) armed with a machine gun. She stands to the left of the open door and fires on the box stack immediately to the right of the door. This will reveal an enemy, who she can then kill with MG fire. Now I have her blast away at the wine barrels. Most of the time, this will draw out an enemy at the far side of the room. If this happens, Viper steps up and plugs him with the dart rifle. Now you have two down, two more to go. Now rush the door with Viper (or your best shot). The cut scene plays, and you are in the big room. Have Viper shoot the bad guy to the right with the dart gun. Remember, the dart rifle is a one-shot "kill". Have the Soldier and Engineer rush in through the back door. The Soldier takes out the last bad guy, and if he managed to set his bomb, your Engineer should easily be able to disarm it. I hope that this helps.

• 1 month later...

I've just finished UN mision. And it was peace of cake.

I played on this dificulty:

based on hard dif, but enemy level +3, full heal, full save, automatic medevac (but i havent need it yet). (I'm not hardcore to play with all enemy sliders right)

I got bank mision before and leveled my main character to lvl11 before UN. I hired Toki, best medic, grenadier and ingeneer.

First part of mision I managed with exactly one shot fired. Toki killedeveryone with his katana (he sometimes walked around stealth enemy, but they didnt noticed him (and if they did - load)), only last guard was unreachable becose of mines. My prim. char killed him.

Bomb part:

My soldier (Gator, I hired him as my first merc, so he wa on lvl11 too) sprayed doors and through doors.

My prim character steped near doors (on left side) and noticed and killed one enemy).

Then i rushed in with prim. char, toki and engineer and killed everyone except farthest bomb. So it went realtime and i had as much time as i wanted to remove this bomb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
What is did after several reloads was as followes. I loaded my guys ( sinper soldier grenadier and two engineers) with AP ammo and automatic weapons. One engineer and soldier came from one side and the sniper grenadier and the other engineer from the other side. I kept stealthed untill the last moment and then charged in. The sniper going for head shots took one down in two shots first turn. The other four messed up another two guys on the first turn. The enemies answered back knocking out my sniper and messing my character (engineer) and saming one bomb. On the second turn I took out another two but lost my soldier to an inturupt and the second engineer was running for the armed bomb. The remaining baddie ran for a bomb and did not shoot. Third turn massed fire brought down the last guy and the bomb was defused in real time. In the end two men were knocked out (they were expensive to heal back at base) four enemies were killed one bomb was planted but defused and the basment looked like a danm warzone. I brought Gator Viper Axle and the german grenadier (the bald one) I forget his name. 2 mp40 1 mp40II 1 sten3 and 1 springfield w/ scope as much ap and grenades as I could afford. I just finished the mission a few hours ago.

Managed to beat this thing the second time through. I just ran in from both sides with PPD 40s blazing. Only one bomb was set. This was a frustrating mission. I hate going through missions again in games simply because I had know idea how the mechanics of the thing worked. Its over now though.

The forum realy helped. After realizing I would have to redo the whole mission I read this whole thread. Helped alot thanks to all that contributed.

On to the next mission.

Honestly, I didn't think this mission was that hard... the constant parade of baddies on the 1st level was tougher to deal with than the 4 guys upstairs. In the end I only had to retry the upper portion once (only because I didn't realize the bombs were timed the 1st time I played).

The trick is to be prepared before you walk into to the room. If you're prepared, and have a plan, it's actually pretty simple to deal with the terroists.

First of all, I don't use engineers (since they're worthless) but it was pretty obvious one was needed for this mission, so I recruited the Japanese guy, and temporarily retired Abala so I could train up my Engineer on a few random encounters. (He was about half the level of my main characters). Then I made sure he had plenty of tools, since it was pretty obvious he would be diffusing lots of bombs. (Although I expected to see lots of bombs throughout the mission, instead of all at the end).

When I started the mission I had

2 Snipers (Scoped Carcanos)

2 Soldiers (Mg34s)

1 Scout (Silent Sten)

1 Engineer (PPD 40)

I think everyone was about level 12 or so? Can't remember...

For my part I didn't enter from both sides, for some reason I couldn't get past the line of mines at the back entrance. (Maybe my Eng was too low level?) So I had all 6 go through the front door.

Next I made sure everyone was lined up correctly, and right by the door before I opened it. Normally I use compeletely different tactics (stealth, walking fire, leap frog, etc) but in this case, I found it better to just bust in, guns-a-blazin.

1st round - Snipers drop Terrorist directly in front & Scout drops terrorist directly to my guy's right. Soldiers begin hosing wine barrels toward the far right corner to get a line of sight on that terrorist. Engineer begins sprinting to bomb box at far end of room.

2nd round - Terrorist plants bomb at far end of room. Terrorist at far right of room panics and does nothing (probably due to the 8mm Mauser rounds ricochetting all around him and watching two of his buddies heads explode into pink goo a few seconds previous. :( )

Snipers kill terrorist who just armed the bomb. Engineer reaches bomb (but not enough AP to disarm). Scout and soldiers finish off last terrorist, as well as most of the remaining wine barrels. ;)

3rd round - All terrorists dead. Engineer disarms only active bomb. Mission over. Off to a London pub for a round of cold ones!

Oh yeah... then I fired the Engineer, and rehired Abala, because Engineers are worthless. :(

Yup. Its a toughie.. but I found a nice little way to exploit the trigger that starts the cutscene and starts up the AI's bomb run. It really simple, actually. (And can be done with squad of 4. I used some of the cheapest sentinels available. All at level 5 or less)

Don't trigger it.

Since the trigger starts once you walk through the door (Actually, its when you approach the door) we might as well not walk through it. Instead:

Apporach here

|

|{Wine Cellar. Bomb place}

|

|

|_...____________...

|O ]O| ( "]" is equal to the open door. Don't walk onto its tile unless you're ready for the trigger to activate.

|OOO|

|OOO| (Hallway up to the door)

|OOO|

|OOO|

|OOO====...

|OOOOOOO...

|OOOOOOO...

]=======...

From that point, you can fire at the wine barrels. Once you've cleared out enough of them, you'll find one of the bombers. Take him out.

Next, take a step down the hall, and fire into the barrels in the center of the cellar. You'll cut your way down to another one of the bombers. Kill him.

You only have two more bombers left, and you can toss a nade from the first postition towards the wall. If you're lucky, you'll either get him, or remove a few boxes, and open him up to your line of sight. Kill him, else, run in after him. You'll be able to take care of him easily if you mob him. By now, there should be one bomber left, and he'll have armed a bomb. Rush everyone towards him, and take him out as quickly as possible. Once hes gone, send in your engineer, and thats mission complete.

Edit- Screenshots.

These should explain themselves, which should proove useful for the dislexic.

https://www.filecabin.com/members/files/1050/1.jpg

Above, try to appoach the door (which hopefully is open. If it isn't, shoot it out.) without stepping on the red square. That will trigger the cutscene, and the bombers will arm their cargo.

https://www.filecabin.com/members/files/1050/2.jpg

Once in position, take aim at the wine barrels. They're providing visual cover for a bomber on the other side of the cellar. Once you've taken out this cluster, you should reveal one of them. Carefull, this will cause an inturrupt on the enemies side, and you may get shot. Fortunatly, he's only got a SMG, so threat is somewhat low-moderate.

--I suggest using an enfield rifle to take out the barrels. The bullets are plentiful, and powerful enough to do damage to the barrels. If you're lucky, you'll get two for one.

https://www.filecabin.com/members/files/1050/3.jpg

See? There he is. Shoot him, though, don't go crazy. He'll start moving in and out of cover behind the pillar nearby, so don't get too impatient. Skip your turns, and wait for inturrupts. He'll seldom get a hit on you, while your snipers should be influscting some criticals on him.

https://www.filecabin.com/members/files/1050/4.jpg

In the case that you don't see him die, you should look for any equipment that he drops. See here: hes dropped his gun, and flask. Therefore dead. Time to get the next guy.

https://www.filecabin.com/members/files/1050/5.jpg

Closer to the door, take note of these boxes. For efficency's sake, weaken those boxes with a shot or two. DO NOT DESTORY THEM, yet. The boxes are covering another bomber, who will inturrupt you, and kill you. Instead, once you've weakened the boxes, toss a grenade somewhere close to the boxes. It'll destroy the bomber's cover, and damage him, thus preventing an inturrupt. See below:

https://www.filecabin.com/members/files/1050/6.jpg

https://www.filecabin.com/members/files/1050/7.jpg

This is your reward. Shooting him before he shoots you.

https://www.filecabin.com/members/files/1050/8.jpg

This should be your final result. Charge the room after this, and take out the last two bombers. The first of the remains (which is close to your last kill) will be down in your first turn, at least. The last bomber is further down the cellar, near the stairs. He'll be tricky, and he'll likely arm his bomb. Snipe him, then rush the bomb with your engineer. Disarm it, and change your pants.

That's a sweet strategy, Krabjuice! If you do post screenies (which I'd like to see, just for grins) we'll be well on our way to having THE definitive guide to beating this pesky level!

I like the dramatic way you phrased your trick:

Don't trigger it...!!!

Doo doo doo doo!

• 2 weeks later...

UN mission is one of the easiest mission of the game... if you can lure the Thor's soldier before they set mines. The game is set hard, with maximum AP for ennemies, 150% live points for ennemies, and 100% dammage.

I came with a 4 men team, and separated them in 2 groups:

first group: the heros an engineer, carm as a scout, Zinaïda as a low level sniper (hired for this mission)

Carm was badly injured when she blast with grenade the mined corridor before the stairs.

and to the other entrance shade the Ninja.

shade entered the first (cinematic of running thor's soldiers), he ran silently to wound 2 of the soldiers: the one behind the entrance pillar who ran to the explosives near the stair, and let him motionless and blind, and, in the same turn, killed the soldier at the far right of the door he came in, all done with knives.

the 2nd group enterred not futher than the first pillar and hided behind it. From here they achieved the first soldier.

then Shade ran in the main alley between the wine casks, killed one ennemy with throwing knives, and killed the last one with grenades.

Over ! and no one was injured, and Thor's soldiers did not even set a mine. Reward $4000.I will include next time the screen shot from this mission.

• 9 months later...

Okay, I've read all the posts and I have had similar problems but I have not read anything about a bug in the far corridor.

The first booby trap on the ledge is inaccessible to my engineers, they try to go the long way round to dissarm it even when they are standing on the ledge.

Throwing grenades at it has no effect.

It must be a bug but it certainly stopped me playing the game. It's a shame as I really enjoyed SS.

Okay, I've read all the posts and I have had similar problems but I have not read anything about a bug in the far corridor.

The first booby trap on the ledge is inaccessible to my engineers, they try to go the long way round to dissarm it even when they are standing on the ledge.

Throwing grenades at it has no effect.

It must be a bug but it certainly stopped me playing the game. It's a shame as I really enjoyed SS.

Have you patched the game? I think you'll find that this is fixed in the patch because I've never had a problem defusing that bomb :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi this is my first post.

For those mines in the corridor, personaly i could disarm them without problem.

But i maybe have a solution for you about those.

Because one day i was shooting at the guy from the opposite of this corridor and unfortunatly i managed to shoot a mine with my rifle.

When i see what some of you started th mission with i'm quite amazed.

at this mission i was pretty poor and i had only the cheapest sentinels and the cheapest equipment

I started the mission with

- 2 engineers with a rifle each and a couple of grenades

- 1 sniper with a non-scoped rifle

- 1 scout with a rifle

- 1 medic with a PPD

It was quite hard(i even thought about using cheats) but first i cleaned all the level (exept the wine cellar of course)

Then all my chars had some grenades and some smg even one had an hmg.

Before attacking the cellar, i split up into 2 groups :

First one : My medic and an engineer ,unfortunatly with no more disarming kit , it was more a fighter who aimed at luring the hammer soldiers.The medic has an HMG, and the enegineer an SMG and many grenades.

Second one : sniper+engineer+scout (alle armed with grenades and rifles)

The goal is to not let the hammers soldiers to set the bombs. There are 4 soldiers if i remeber well.

So first round i position my people and manage to throw a grenade on one of those terrorists.

Second round : i shoot, throw some more grenades and kill one of them .

Third round : again and i kill 2 of those guys .Notice that anyone of them has set up the bomb for now.

Fourth and fifth round : 1 soldier left. Unfortunately he manages to set the bomb. So i get all my men (and wemen) and kill that one. When he got killed the round finishes and here comes the free move time.

During this time i get an engineer and defuse that bloody bomb.

That was how i did. As you can see, i didn't mention the wounded but only my scout was near death and 2 others were pretty damaged.

Of course i tried many times to reach the end.

I hope it will give you some ideas without using any cheats or exploits.

You have to be very lucky with this approach. Sometimes the AI will really run for setting the bombs.

The best bet is one good SMG and one grenadier/scout on the side where the etrance looks down the long side of the room. Here the smg should run to left side of column and on full auto either kill or at least cripple the bad guy that has his back to him. The grenadier needs to run to the right and will probably have only one throw on the bad guy. If you manage a critical (ideally legs), odds are great that he won't manage to arm the bomb.

On the other side, 3 grenadiers are a lovely thing. One with medium nades should blast the big barrels and the enemy behind them (two throws should do), one with light nades should be able to throw at least one after the far guy. Another light grenadier could finish him off, or a sniper with leg/head critical.

This way, you should kill 1-2 and incapacitate the other 2 within first round.

• 2 years later...
As soon as they spot you it's pretty much curtains. The advice I've seen is to have two scouts rush in with dartguns and disable the farthest away bad guys, have the rest of your team get rid of the nearest enemies and you should be okay.

Oh, and approaching it from both doorways is apparently the only way of doing it.

Other than that, to disable the AI, you might want to go to www.nival.com and look on the Sentinels forums. A search there should reveal how to activate the console and disable the AI in the game, though it is a bit of a cheat ;)

Actually I have managed to go this from the nonmined way. Tried like 40 times and then I took of hiding and BANG. They started firing me instead of arming bombs. Second hint for this is to throw nades from the mined way to the bomb room. (Managed to kill two of em).