Just installed but have HUGE lag problem

AFSST

I just installed Silent Storm and played the tutorial with a little bit of lag, but not enough to ruin the game. When I started the campaign however, the lag became atrocious, and it does not allow me to continue. I am playing Silent Storm on my laptop, an AMD Athlon XP processor 3000+ with 512MB DDR SDRAMM.

Also, when I try to install the ver 1.2 patch (UK), it says the game is installed improperly. I uninstalled and then reinstalled, and I still get the same message.

What am I doing wrong? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Firstly, welcome to the forums!

Onto your first problem. This is almost certainly a graphics issue. Silent Storm is unfortunately ahead of the technology on most PC's when it comes to graphics. If you go into the graohics options from the main menu, make sure you've got 16bit colour selected and not 32bit. That should be next to the resolution you're running the game at.

Also, you might want to turn off the tree tops using the checkbox near the bottom of the graphics settings.Missions with a few spots of wooded area will cause the game to run slowly.

Finally, try switching the cursors from Software to Hardware. If you like the original cursors and want to keep the same look but with less lag, there should be a download here that will help: https://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/index.php?dlid=51

Onto your second problem with the patch - this may well just be a memory thing again. Try applying all the above and remember to exit the game after you've changed all the settings for them to save properly, or else if it crashes you'll have to reapply the settings again! Then try patching and see if you get the same error.

Hope that helps!

On a sidenote, I'll agree with anyone who's had this trouble on a high-end machine - it is frustrating when you have a very high spec PC and can't play on the highest graphics settings, but think of it in the long run, this game will look better over the years :D

Yes, I tried to install the patch again and received the same error message. So I came back to the trusty forums and did a little more browsing. Someone else posted the same question earlier, and I discovered since I have the English version, I already have 1.2 installed.

Now I'm going to look in the forum to try to discover the "heirarchy" of weapons and opinions on the optimal team composition. I currently have 3 snipers, 2 soldiers, and an engineer. Not sure if this is best...

Hmmm, now that is an interesting question, and one that will surely spawn many arguments, diatribes, and angry denunciations.

I personally usually play S2 with one of each type of character. With Easier Med. and Eng. Items and Class Value Changes, the game is a lot more balanced (the devs did their best, but they messed up the medic and the engineer: these two mods right what I see as faults in the game).

I imagine with 3 snipers the game is pretty easy. Is it?

I had little difficulty with 3 snipers throughout most of the game, but snipers are useless against PK's. Until they're in one of course :huh:

Nothing will beat a soldier/grenadier with a bazooka or some high powered grenades at close range when they show up.