I did not know you could do that...

Alitorious

Guess what I just found out? Elerium 115 is an actual item in the game! That is so weird.

I found this out because I noticed a white "+" equipment marker on the map right on top of a power unit. So, I saved the game, (I didn't want my soldier to be blown up accidentally) and shot the power unit. After I found out that it didn't explode, I went on top of the ruins and looked at the inventory screen. To my surprise, it was a unit of Elerium 115! That is so neat.

Maybe I should try supply ship raids with this :).

I don't know if the UFO would take off afterwards, though. Would be neat if it didn't. ("Oh, your harvester can't take off? Too bad! :)")

Or Battleship raids in combination with blaster bombs :).

Man, I still can't get over this...

Yeah, they're the little purple circles that sit on top of a tiny square at the base of the power unit. If you don't see that, the power unit has no elerium. Each of these elerium pods are converted into 50 elerium after the mission. Lose each one, lose 50 elerium. Works the same way in Apocalypse too, but you probably get different elerium quantities there. In TFTD you find clumps of Zrbite.

You're quite lucky it didn't blow up when the power unit did. Most of the time they'd get destroyed by even the weakest of explosions. At least, in TFTD the zrbite clumps get blown up completely.

If you use XComutil to select the ship floorpan before you attack it, you'll often find a few elerium pods in locations where they would have been if they were in the original UFO floorpan. You can easily pick them up then.

- NKF

I already knew the 50 elerium recovery for each unit. Makes for great raids - run in, grab the elerium, run back to the skyranger and abort.

And the power unit didn't explode, just sort of crippled. If I woulda shot it with a rocket launcher or blaster bomb, then it would explode, I expect.

And I just found out that it was a little purple blob. I remember wondering why there was a purple smudge on all power units, but now I know. And just after reading your post, I wondered how you could possibly get a power unit with no elerium, but after a little more experimentation I found out that some explosions don't destroy the power unit, but do destory all items on the ground nearby. Rats.

I didn't know that about the floorplans, thanx! Means when I start to use the map chosing part of xcomutil then I should be extra careful where I throw those grenades, eh?

And after a little experimentation, a lack of Elerium and power cores on supply ships doesn't stop them from taking off at the end of the mission. I guess that's another oversight on the designer's part.

Still, raiding's fun. (But not quite as fun as blaster bombs! :)