If you like a reasonable frame rate...

DoomMunky

I think it's a bad idea to run it in 32-bit color mode because that enables the 'lighting engine'. Which I think they should call 'the crap-making engine'. It slows everything down, and to me, it actually looks a lot worse (sure, the lighting effects are cool, but it's all pixelated and fuzzy looking!).

So there. My two cents. I have a medium-high machine, but druid has a REALLY good machine and he said this:

the 32/16 bit color setting is the root of all evil,I

think if you set it to 32 bit then you open that puzzle box from hellraiser...eeeek!!!!

Think you und Pete came to the correct answer so huge thx man.

SS jeez the first game to break my Pcs balls  :D

So, if you're having problems with the frame-rate, try this...

• 3 weeks later...

DoomMunkey, what kind of video card are you using?

My laptop uses an Nvidia 440 Go, and it can't really handle the game except at 1024x768x16 with most of the effects on medium.

My workstation has a Radeon 9500 backed up by 2xOpteron 244s, and it looks gorgeous and plays beautifully with 1154x962x32, maximum effects, and x4 FFAA.

The important thing is to match the game's graphic settings with the video card.

That's a good point, mlangsdorf, and one that I don't really think of. I have a GeForce FX 5600 256MB, and it obviously just doesn't have the speed to handle all that power. Crap.

I think that a lot of strategy-type gamers aren't running the sex machines that the games industry wants us to have for their games. So a lot of otherwise interested folks were turned off by the graphics demands of this game. There has been much bitching in the forums since the game came out about graphics and graphics settings.

I'll definitely put this into the FAQ though. What are Opteron 244s? I want to be able to tell the gaming public how to make it look the absolute sexiest!

I'll definitely put this into the FAQ though. What are Opteron 244s? I want to be able to tell the gaming public how to make it look the absolute sexiest!

The workstation version of AMD's Athlon 64 FX chip. I rather doubt that Nival made Silent Storm multithreaded, so you can roughly consider my rig equivalent to a Athlon FX-53.

I updated the graphics card two years ago for Temple of Elemental Evil, and only spent $200 at the time. SS doesn't require cutting edge graphics, but you certainly need a card from the last 3-4 years. Looking at pricewatch.com, I'd expect that spending 150USD should be enough to bring you up to speed.

I've been fantasizing about a newer gfx card for a while now, but can't really justify the cost to myself because every game I wanna play looks just fine right now. S2, Half-Life 2, Sims 2, etc., all look great.

It sounds like it's not actually your gfx processor that's the meaty one on your system; you've got a really, really fast CPU. I'm running an AMD Sempron 2800+ in addition to my GeForce FX 5600, and the game actually doesn't run any better than when I was playing on an Athlon 1.4Ghz...hmmm....

Maybe another thing to it is that all my stuff is in a Shuttle Mini PC, the SN41G2 model, an nForce2 mobo that's really terrible for overclocking. I'm not even sure what my FSB is, though the system specs say it supports 333mhz. So maybe my mobo is not taking full advantage of my processor (which is, admittedly, a budget model. Fast, but still a budget model!).

I also have a gig of PC2100 RAM. There. My soul is laid bare. Look, all, and he who is without an awesome system too cast the first stone...

I've been fantasizing about a newer gfx card for a while now, but can't really justify the cost to myself because every game I wanna play looks just fine right now. S2, Half-Life 2, Sims 2, etc., all look great.

It sounds like it's not actually your gfx processor that's the meaty one on your system; you've got a really, really fast CPU. I'm running an AMD Sempron 2800+ in addition to my GeForce FX 5600, and the game actually doesn't run any better than when I was playing on an Athlon 1.4Ghz...hmmm....

Well, my laptop is an Athlon 64 3000+ with an nVidia 420 Go, and the game scrolls slowly at 1024x768x16 with medium settings. The processors are broadly equivalent, and really, the meat and bones of the graphic simulation is going to be how fast textures can pushed in the graphics pipeline and the various lighting math calculated. That's not really a processor issue - that's all video card.

The processor speed should affect the length of the AI turns, but not the graphics settings.

Serious? Well, good. I guess. If I get a new gfx card I should be fine then.

More than fine: *deep ringing voice* All Powerful!!!!!

This is all going into the technical FAQ, by the way! Thanks for all your explanations and help.

Got a spare $150 USD?

Ive got a high end pc as well:

P4 3,4 Ghz 1024 mb ram

ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256 mb

but when i run SS or SSS in 1024x768x32 the fps drops down likes crazy to bad actually cause i really like the lightning effects isnt their a fix or something for it? or is it just a bug?

nuvix

Yeah, turn of the AA and the other option, what's it called, the "Anisotropic Filtering". Turn those down low and see if that gets you any further...

If not, you might have other programs taking up your system resources. There's a great couple of guides over at Tweaktown, including Tweaktown's Optimization Guide For Gamers. Follow all those suggestions, including the link to the General Windows Optimization guide, and you'll be a happy camper, or at least getting as much out of your machine as possible.

As we've said all over this site, though, S2 and S3 are total brats on the graphics cards, so you might just have to play without the lighting engine. Don't let the lighting defeat your enjoyment in a totally kick-ass game!

I haven't...! ;)