New defeat condition!

Alitorious

Guess what I found out (the hard way) during an Ethereal base defense mission? If every one of your remaining soldiers are mind-controlled, then you lose the mission. Now why can't I use that condition, where if every enemy alien is mind-controlled then I automatically win (and those aliens are automatically captured.)

And this was before I had psi-labs researched, so I couldn't have booted the psi-weakling soldiers anyway.

At first I thought: Good thing autocannon is weak against power armour, and then eventually I started running out of proximity grenades (and soldiers) Soon the base was overrun, and only the guys on the top level, guarding the stairs, were left. Proximity mines on the bottom of the stairs only killed a few ethereals each, then the remaining guys started to get mind controlled. THEN, every single one of my soldiers was mind-controlled, and I lost the base.

My assumption is this:

The mission ends abruptly because if it didn't, the game will end up in an endless loop. And that would be rather boring now wouldn't it?

See, since the last remaining soldier is mind controlled, then this just means the aliens will easily be able to mind control the soldier again on the next round. This cycle may very well be repeated forever until one of the dumber aliens (in the case of sectoid soldiers) gets a chance to shoot at the soldier before the others get to use mind control, which is just as bad, but you don't end up having to wait forever.

So rather than get into such a situation, they just fast forward things and assume the aliens keep the soldier in mind control until they kill the soldier.

They didn't need to give you this condition, since it isn't exactly necessary, and we can always mess up.

Although, if you could capture the last mind controlled alien without having to use a stun-weapon, now that would perhaps have been very useful.

- NKF

has anyone tried to mind control an alien, put him on your ship and abort? do you get a live alen?

Hi, I'm new to this board.

I haven't tried that, but I've mind controlled about 8-10 sectoids and slowly put them all into my avenger and then sent in a blaster bomb. It was quite a scene :)

The aliens just disappear (same thing in TFTD as well). However, you do get to keep their gear!

If you want to bring that alien home, stun it first. Only then will the 'captured alien' be registered and put into alien containment.

Also, if you want to damage your ships, go to the mountain maps. The landing gear and ramp of the Skyranger, and oddly enough, some parts of the alien UFOs, can easily be blown away with high explosives and large rockets.

- NKF

Don't rightly know. 'tis a mystery!

The mountain maps are the only ones I've played where you don't need anything more powerful than a HWP rocket, large rocket or a hi-x pack to destroy the Skyranger's landing gear or ramp (can't destroy any other bits of the Skyranger though). It's also the only place you can actually blow away the corner walls of the UFOs (quite a big chunk of them too!) with your conventional explosives instead of resorting to a blaster bomb.

Also ever notice how ordinary HE explosions on the mountain tiles sometimes result in a circular patch of flames instead of the usual cloud of smoke? Almost like incendiary rounds, but with the damage and power of the high explosives.

- NKF