Random Encounters in S3

Rene

I recently beat Sentinels expansion and enjoyed all of it but was a little disappointed about how short it was.

I never did many random encounters and I'm wondering if S3 has any special encounters like the ninja/katana encounter in N. Britain or the UFO in Switzerland and where they are located.

• 1 year later...
Not really enough info. I've heard about the bank mission being kind of "special" and I found the downed V2 rocket mission which gives you little joe arrows, but does anyone have a list (with locations) of any other "special" missions like there were in S2?

• 3 weeks later...
Not really enough info. I've heard about the bank mission being kind of "special" and I found the downed V2 rocket mission which gives you little joe arrows, but does anyone have a list (with locations) of any other "special" missions like there were in S2?

There aren't many special missions that we're aware of (and even the random encounters are only of a few types):

I will add all types of encounters as I get them reported.

Special random encounters:

Shade's prison in Switzerland (middle of map) (two scoped and two normal rifles - guards in towers)

Bank robbery in Germany (bottom right corner)

Something in Egypt (haven't gotten that one yet)

Normal random encounters:

UK - underground bunker (downed V1 rocket, small structure above, little joe arrows in bunker)

UK - garage/repair facility - three buildings (basement garage connected with another building above ground - contained boobytrapped locker if I recall correctly)

Germany - train depot (one variant has MG mounted on flattop wagon) (some rifles/smgs, extra unarmed engineers)

Germany - generator facility (enclosed in wire fence, one variant has two motorcycles with sidecars, one with MG) (lots of enemies, several rifles)

Germany - large two-wing house with park and fountain.

Russia - small two-room hut with outhouse

Russia - houses with barn

Russia - road bridge (mostly pistols)

Poland - factory with flatbed truck.

Egypt - ruins with a cistern

Egypt - barren rock valley

• 2 years later...

Hi there, I've been playing S2 and S3 for a little while now, and have recently been going over all the random and special missions in S3. I haven't found the one in Poland yet as I haven't done 'The Firm' mission, but I did find the Egypt special mission with the five PKs.

OK, what is up with the medic PK?!?

I can kill it no problem, but all the weapons that normally penetrate PKs to give the pilot damage won't work except for the heavy PK sniper cannons, and those only do 4 to 9 pts of damage to the pilot, which heals in one turn, and incidentally does about three times that in damage to the PK. I've tried capturing a laser PK and headshotting him, but that does even more damage to the PK, I've tried sitting an engineer behind my PK and leaving it as a sitting duck so the medic uses up all his ammo, but then he just walks up to me and sits there waiting, he doesn't come out. I've tried virtually every rifle or heavy machine gun and those all only do blue damage, no red. Is there any way to capture it?

• 1 year later...

Hi all senior S3ers here,

I just replayed the S3 again recently and would like to discuss the

special random encounters bug in S3.

Long ago when forum.nival.com just existed, the forum master just revealed that

you can play lots of 'Shade' random encounters 'many times' if you like.

Just:

1) disable 'autosave';

2) enter the Switzerland map and move your team to the upper left corner of the map (approach the globe as close as you can);

3) click the icon of your team to enter 'camping' scenario;

4) leave the camping scenario

Ideally leaving the camping scenario will trigger the encounter.

However I tried this bug in both original version & v1.2 patch of S3 and I found the bug existed

even with autosave enabled. And I can not stop re-entering the encounters when disabling the

autosave. That means you will have the infinite Shade encounters and can not go back to your base

or explore other missions.

Also, this bug can apply to all maps (Germany, Russia, Poland, ...); that means

you can have infinite Bank robbery encounters but you can not jump out of

the loop.

Using this bug I also found there exists 2 normal random encounters in Poland.

Did anyone else try this bug also?

(PS: I strongly recommend to save before triggering this bug.)